The Malik Report

‘Bingo Bango,’ Mickey Redmond’s headed to the Hockey Hall of Fame

I’ll let you guess who the Free Press’s Mike Brudenell’s speaking to in a wide-ranging Q and A about a certain broadcaster’s imminent honoring by the Hockey Hall of Fame, with one hint: his favorite color is camouflage:

Question: A broadcaster for 32 years—longer than your short but colorful playing career: a life in itself to you?

Mickey Redmond: We take a lot of this stuff for granted. We come and we go and do our job ... but I’ve always been very happy and content to go to Joe Louis and broadcast a game and wear my emotions and feelings on my shirtsleeve. To broadcast ... be part of the Red Wing alumni and go out and skate ... and put smiles on kids’ faces and raise money for great causes ... it’s hard to package that all together, but it’s the greatest thing, and I feel so blessed to be where I’m at and do what I do. It’s as good as it gets.

Oops, forgot to ask Katie to Bar the Door…Continued, and there’s a ten-image photo gallery of Redmond as well. No pictures of him trying out a composite stick or two, of course…

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

Mickey is the best.
Watching him call a game is like watching a game with your favorite uncle.

Posted by w2j2 on 11/06/11 at 08:34 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Love Mickey, even when his reminiscing makes him temporarily forget there’s a game going on. Well deserved Hall of Fame induction. Did you hear Ken and Murph ask him last night if he has his speech ready?  “Nope,” said Mickey. Said Ken, “Well, I can tell you one thing. It won’t be typed.”

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/06/11 at 09:19 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

The only bad side to recognition is hearing other broadcasters ape his calls. ‘bingo bangor’ I’ve heard on Vs/NBC.

Posted by MoreShoot on 11/06/11 at 01:34 PM ET

aaron in phoenix's avatar

My favorite Mickeyism was “top shelf, next to the peanut butter”. Mickey is truly one-of-a-kind.

So true.

Congratulations Mickey!

Posted by aaron in phoenix from Section 102 on 11/06/11 at 03:24 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Man. I’d love to be his next door neighbor. I would loosen him up with a few pops and get him to talk hockey all day and never get boared. What a great ambassador for the wings and hockey in general.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 11/06/11 at 10:09 PM ET

whateverman's avatar

Mickey Redmond is a god damn pimp.

Last year on my birthday I was headed out to get some b-day dinner with the ol’ galfriend and my friend called me and told me that Mickey Redmond his damn self was signing autographs at Meijer.

Old dude was cooler than a sack of dry ice. I went up there, couldn’t find the words to say, and meanwhile he’s letting my girlfriend try on his Stanley Cup ring, while I’m shitting my pants without a word to say.

I also entered a raffle that night, won tickets to a Wings game which they lost promptly like 10-3 to the Blues. Twas my best friend who told me of the signing’s first live game.

Mickey Redmond is a legend and should be treated as such. Chuch.

LGRW.

Posted by whateverman on 11/07/11 at 03:29 AM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

In these days of cookie-cutter athletes and bland or offensive commentators, Mick is a shining example of what they should be.  He deserves this and many more plaudits besides.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/08/11 at 06:44 AM ET

Congrats to Mickey, deserves it all the way!

George, speaking of sticks at the end, what is your opinion of Stuart using the Bauer Apx over the Total One or the x 7?

I’m not an expert and wanted to know if you had information on that, thanks!

Posted by TheBen on 11/09/11 at 12:13 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Stuart’s EQ 50 was a painted-over SE 16 last season so it’s hard to say whether he’s actually using an APX, Total One or the new “Nexus” line or whether he’s just using a One95. He and Hudler tend to have sticks that are painted in whatever line their equipment manufacturer is trying to sell (ex. Hudler may not be using a Stealth RS) but their sticks are custom-made.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/09/11 at 12:16 AM ET

this site is a joke. how many actual days was it updated this year? i bet you it’s under 100.

Posted by jmb on 11/25/11 at 04:31 PM ET