The Malik Report

‘Big Shot’ Pulkkinen Ready For His First NHL Game

from Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News,

If there’s one thing Teemu Pulkkinen can do, it’s fire the puck.

“He has an unbelievable shot,” said Cory Emmerton, who was a linemate of Pulkkinen’s in Grand Rapids. “Probably one of the best I’ve played with. I don’t know if he’s scored a fluke goal all season.

“They’ve been slap shots, just blowing it past the goalie.”

Pulkkinen, a 2010 fourth-round draft pick, makes his NHL debut Friday when the Red Wings host Edmonton. Pulkkinen replaces Tomas Jurco (broken rib) in the lineup.

“It’s going to be fun,” said Pulkkinen, who was skating on a line with Emmerton and Drew Miller during Thursday’s practice. “I’m not nervous. It’s one game. It’s a different game, but you have to have fun.”

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

Good luck with that Miller setup.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/13/14 at 07:16 PM ET

Crater's avatar

“They’ve been slap shots, just blowing it past the goalie.”

Hope he can keep it up at the higher level. As Mr. Mrazek will tell you NHL goaltending is a whole new ball game.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 03/13/14 at 08:07 PM ET

He goes by the nickname, “Pulu” by some of his Finnish teammates.  And I can’t wait to see his shot.

Posted by SYF from Ball's Hill on 03/13/14 at 09:16 PM ET

Can’t wait for him to get a hat-trick in 5-6-7 minutes he is gonna get on the 4th line.

Posted by George0211 on 03/14/14 at 07:32 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Pulkkinen, who was skating on a line with Emmerton and Drew Miller

Yeah, nice use of personnel to put the shooter on the checking line. My guess is that it will be Pulu’s job to screen the goalie when not scrambling in the corners. joy.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 03/14/14 at 08:47 AM ET

I really don’t get this.  Why would they call up a guy who has never played a game in the NHL if they’re not going to put him on the top line?

Posted by Garth on 03/14/14 at 08:58 AM ET

Posted by Garth on 03/14/14 at 08:58 AM ET

Hahaha

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/14/14 at 09:09 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by Garth on 03/14/14 at 08:58 AM ET

If you’re directing that my way, to clarify the rationale behind my comment: I’m advocating that he should be playing on the third line, not the checking line; and if he’s having a game, slip him some first or second line minutes. It’s a mis-use of an asset to employ it in a way that is not intended and more likely to produce sub-par results.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 03/14/14 at 09:45 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well, I’d say let the kid wear no. 17 to channel a little Hull (he wore 17 in Detroit, right?), but Legwand is wearing 17, and the only other Hull no, which I suspect they won’t give him, is 16, although I don’t suspect Vladdy would really mind.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/14/14 at 09:47 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I agree that he’d get more chances playing with a good play-making center, but right now we are a little low in that category.  On the other hand, if anyone on that grinding line can find him, he’ll be battling against weaker opposition.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/14/14 at 09:56 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Maybe the kid will show some prowess.  Maybe next year, he’ll make the roster and they could put him on a line with Dats and Hank.  They could call it the “Two old goats and a young kid” line.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/14/14 at 09:57 AM ET