The Malik Report

Bertuzzi Sits Tonight

I will update this post with who is replacing Betuzzi and any other lineup changes.  Gustavsson is starting in goal too.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bertuzzi just sat for 3 weeks. He can’t play two games in two days?

I don’t necessarily advocate him to be in the lineup to begin with, but to use this as an excuse?

Eaves playing tonight, I’d assume?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/27/14 at 12:22 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Yeah I’m with Vito.  Kinda’ a lame reasoning.  I’m not a Bert guy and fine with him being out I guess, but… lame reasoning/excuse.  Not only did he not play for 3 weeks, he then only played 12:00 of TOI.  I think he could probably handle another 12:00 tonight, no?

Posted by Primis on 02/27/14 at 12:35 PM ET

hdw's avatar

Bertuzzi just sat for 3 weeks. He can’t play two games in two days?

Maybe it just because he’s been sitting for 3 weeks that Babs doesn’t want to play him back to back.

Posted by hdw on 02/27/14 at 12:47 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Add me to the list of not understanding the lame excuse.  Pav is hurting and you take a big body off his line against a physical or maybe dirty Sens, don’t get it!

I actually thought Pav might sit but Gold Medal Babs knows what he is doing.

Going to be a tough game to win and hope Wings escape uninjured!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/27/14 at 12:50 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Sure. Makes sense, it’s not like he scored a goal or anything….wait, never mind.

Maybe the Mule needs a rest…just saying.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 02/27/14 at 12:50 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hopefully this means Nyquil gets bumped to first line and Eaves takes his place on the 4th line.  Win, win.

Posted by calquake on 02/27/14 at 01:13 PM ET

Sure its his boy Cleary

Posted by brians neck on 02/27/14 at 01:19 PM ET

If it ends up Eaves or Glendenning. We might as well waive Dannyboy.

Posted by brians neck on 02/27/14 at 01:20 PM ET

Eaves playing tonight, I’d assume?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/27/14 at 12:22 PM ET

Bucktkets.  Pencil that in.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/27/14 at 01:32 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I thought we were hating on Babcock because he played Bertuzzi?
Now we’re hating on Babcock because he’s sitting him?
Or are we hating on him because of the reason?

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 02/27/14 at 02:08 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Paul, man, merge this with the GDT—yer killin’ my traffic here! :-p

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 02/27/14 at 02:45 PM ET

@ If feel like Dan Cleary, I just can’t keep up with all these twists and turns and new ways to hate on the coach.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 02/27/14 at 02:08 PM ET

I just feel like Babcock is usually used to playing guys when they play well. If tuzzi get’s a goal, leave him in! Why bench someone for playing well? THAT’s where the “lame” excuse comes in where babs says two nights in 2 games… It’s not like we’re hating on him, he does the work himself if you ask me.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/27/14 at 02:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Sorry RM, just call me the traffic killer from now on.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/27/14 at 02:50 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I thought we were hating on Babcock because he played Bertuzzi?
Now we’re hating on Babcock because he’s sitting him?
Or are we hating on him because of the reason?

I think it’s just best to assume we’re hating on him because ____.

Maybe the excuse isn’t a valid one (though I don’t think any of you are in a position to know that; Babcock has access to trainers, doctors, AND BERTUZZI HIMSELF) that none of us have… but even if so, why do we want a real reason to be given?  I thought we LIKED when our team played it close to the vest and lied to us (and the injury report) a little.  Do we want Babcock to say, “he’s got a sore ankle, give it a couple whacks next game!” or perhaps “We’re trying to trade him, everyone be aware and offer us less!”.

Sometimes you people and your level of grumpiness is mind boggling.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/27/14 at 02:59 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I don’t understand all of this complaining about the “reasoning” or “excuse.”

Do you honestly want a coach that simply tells reporters the truth?

I don’t. I want Babs cognizant that what he tells a reporter becomes public. I wan’t him to consider how it affects the individual player to hear himself talked about.

I think the truth is, “We have a hole without Z and we gave Bert a short leash yesterday to help fill it. Someone had to play. But, we sure as hell aren’t gonna play him again tonight. Look. Bert’s not… well, you see… a liability. He’s a liability for us when he’s on the ice. That’s why he got so few minutes.

“We’ll replace him tonight with either Cleary or Eaves. It’ll be much the same with them. They’re a bit of a liability. We’ll shelter them the best we can and live with it. You don’t always get what you want, and what we got is an injured Z. We sure as *#$%@& didn’t want an injured Z, but whaddya gonna do?”

I don’t want an honest coach, and I don’t care if I hear him giving bullshit reasons publicly.

What I want is a coach who talks honestly to his player privately.

I think that’s what we have.

Bert knows where he stands and what it’ll take for his situation to change. Cleary knows, Eaves knows, everyone is being treated professionally.’

It’s why when Eaves was waived we didn’t hear any bitching from him, or that stunned, dazed look you sometimes see right after someone’s waived.

Eaves knew he might get waived, then as time went on he knew it was getting likely he would be waived, and then when he was waived he knew what would have to change for him to be brought back up.

Man, complaining about what he said about putting Bert back on the bench.

Are we all bored?

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/27/14 at 06:49 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I am a huge fan of Brutus. I love the guy, but, time is catching up to Big Bert.

Maybe he needs to sit due to, “every reason we aren’t privy to.”

As long as his replacement is ABC.( Anybody But Cleary)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!