The Malik Report

Because we needed to know right booking now…The Senators may or may not retire #11

Ugh. This story just popped up on the wires, via RedWingsFeed, and I'm starting to think that Red Wings fans are going to get incredibly tired of the Ottawa media's seeming desire to rub as much salt in the, "Daniel Alfredsson defected to the Red Wings" wound as humanly possible...In maybe five days, never mind by August or September. The Ottawa Sun's Don Brennan, who tossed some jabs at Alfredsson last night, decided that it's time to inform the world of the fate of the former Ottawa Senators captain's #11 RIGHT BOOKING NOW:

Will Daniel Alfredsson’s No. 11 still be raised to the rafters at Canadian Tire Centre or whatever the place is called at the appropriate time? Of course, right?

“We’ll see,” Senators president/CEO Cyril Leeder said Monday. “I’m not going to prejudge that now. That’s an announcement that should come at a different point in time.”

How about the front office or management job with the team that was said to be waiting for Alfredsson when he decided to quit playing? Does the offer owner Eugene Melnyk publicly made remain on the table?

“I think that’s still to be determined,” said Leeder. “I don’t think that was a foregone conclusion, that Daniel was going to come and work for the organization. I know that had been talked about by a number of people but I think that’s still to be determined in the future.”

He continues, of course, prodding Leeder about season ticket-renewal rates and complaints that the front office has had to listen to regarding Alfredsson's departure...

But with all due respect to both Senators fans' need to grieve and vent their anger, and with all due respect to Brennan's right to share their anger as a "spirit of the thing" columnist in the Bob Wojnowski/Art Regner/Pat Caputo vein (see: not objective and proud of having a rooting interest)...

Why the *#$%@& would you ask the team's *#$%@& CEO whether they're going to *#$%@& retire someone's number four *#$%@& days after the player leaves?

A strange case of sports theatre is playing out in Ottawa, and Senators fans, you have my sympathies. We sure as hell don't begrudge you of your right to feel and think and say what you must, but at least this Red Wings fan isn't a supporter of this, "Hey, lookit that still-bleeding broken heart, where's the 50-pound bag of rock salt?" mentality. It's downright gross.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

This is just petty.

Besides if its any comfort to Alfredsson, I’m sure Colorado will retire his number for a song.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/08/13 at 06:22 PM ET

Senators fans, you have my sympathies

Aye.  Some Wings fans are still sore about Fedorov “defecting” to ANA.  But this is turning into a friggin’ circus.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/08/13 at 06:26 PM ET

gowings's avatar

First off….. “well see”.....

Are you kidding me? Shouldn’t the answer be “yes, he should be, but it’s too soon to discuss the matter” ?

No respect. terrible…

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/08/13 at 06:34 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s a stupid question to ask to begin with. What else is he going to say to a pissed off reporter?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/08/13 at 06:43 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I don’t remember. Did Borque get this much heat when he left the B’s and won a cup with the dive? They should start to move on and concentrate on their team.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 07/08/13 at 07:01 PM ET

Didn’t follow it that closely at the time, but it seems like Toronto didn’t give half this much stink when Sundin wound up with Vancouver.

Posted by maltby18 on 07/08/13 at 07:59 PM ET

I’d imagine there was some heat directed towards Bourque in the first three days following his trade request.

Ad with Sundin there was a huge backlash when he wouldn’t waive his no-trade in spring of ‘08,  I think by the time he signed with Vancouver people were already over him since he had hemmed and hawed about even paying for about six months.

Posted by Garth on 07/08/13 at 08:06 PM ET

awould's avatar

It’s understandable now. First month of the season, still sort of understandable. First home Ottawa/Detroit game, yeah, very understandable. After that, get over it.

Somehow I think they never will. Especially the journalists who will milk it for a lazy column.

Posted by awould on 07/08/13 at 08:28 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

The usual disclaimer that I feel bad for Ottawa’s fans.

That being said, I’m starting to get tired of this, too. I just hope this more hyped up in the next few weeks, but maybe the sportswriters are dying for summer news stories given the RedBlacks don’t start playing in the CFL until next year.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/08/13 at 08:46 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

from what I have read in all the comments from fans the writers are more upset a bout it than the fans are ... majority of the fans comments that I have read are being very classy about it. Yes there are a few who are sour but not as much as the writers make it out to be.

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/08/13 at 09:29 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I just hope this more hyped up in

This DOESN’T get more hyped up I meant. Ms. Red Wing Fan, that was what I was wondering.  The writers suggesting that he shouldn’t have his number retired (in the earlier post) was a poor question, too (not that management’s response was good either).

Posted by Bugsy on 07/08/13 at 10:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

OTT has an inferiority complex, so stuff like this gets all blown out of proportion and won’t go away like, ever.

It’ll be 2035 and OTT columnists are going to be writing about how DET stole Alfredsson, even though the Sens fans reading will all go “Who?!”.

Posted by Primis on 07/08/13 at 10:15 PM ET

This is just petty.

As opposed to all those other weighty issues fans of sports teams ponder on a daily basis?  smile

Come on, this is precisely the type of stuff that gets fans agitated, and it’s precisely the kind of stuff that would get each and every one of you agitated if it happened to us.

I mean, Hasek anyone?  Coming off the ‘02 Cup when the Wings were still a pretty good team and he decided to retire, nobody got emotionally exercised over that?  All he did, relatively speaking, was stop playing.  And he wasn’t a career Wing.

It’s difficult to put this in the same context because all the relevant Wings of the modern era have won multiple Cups, so leaving to pursue one isn’t the big deal here it is elsewhere, at least perceptually.  Just hang around long enough and you’ll snag one.

Still, imagine for a moment that an Yzerman or a Lidstrom, true franchise cornerstone guys, up and left to go to another team because they thought they’d have a better shot at winning.  See the headlines in your mind.  Begin composing your rhetorical blog post.

Hell, Fedorov, who wasn’t a cornerstone anything but was a very, very good player nonetheless, left for more (by some idiotic definition of the term more) money and a goodly portion of the fanbase washed their hands of him.

Really, my favorite part of this is going to be when the Wings start beating Ottawa like a rented mule.  If you think that fanbase is crying now, oh man.

We’re sports fans.  In order for us to feel good some other group of fans has to feel like shit.  It is the circle of life.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/09/13 at 06:41 AM ET

When? It’s a foregone conclusion is it?

Posted by Chris M on 07/09/13 at 09:25 AM ET