The Malik Report

Babcock’s blunt while appearing on ‘The Huge Show’

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock spoke with WBBL's Bill "Huge" Simonson on Friday, and while his interview wasn't as revelatory as Ken Holland's recent discussion on Detroit Sports 105.1 FM, Babcock addressed Nyquist's recall, the Wings' slump-snapping win over Carolina on Thursday, the Wings' attempts to deal with the injuries to Stephen Weiss, Daniel Alfredsson and Danny DeKeyser, and his unwillingness to blame "the cap" for Nyquist's time spent in Grand Rapids, simply stating that the Wings had to make hard decisions in demoting three players who played for the Wings into the second round last spring.

Babcock seems to feel that the more stable the roster is going forward, the better the team will be.

Mickey Redmond also spoke with Detroit Sports 105.1 FM's Drew Lane on Friday, but the audio's not embeddable.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

“It just goes to show that it’s a young man’s game….” Mike Babcock, this morning.

“Well, this is a men’s league and kids are not the answer…” KH, a few days ago.

———

Maybe if our top 2 agreed on how our personnel should be used that might help. For F__cks sake dude, get on the same page and stop signing over the hill veterans.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 11/23/13 at 11:11 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

They are on the same page as much as a coach and GM can be on the same page. It’s a “young man’s league” in that the team needs its youth to produce, but it’s also not a league into which you can simply toss 20-year-olds into the lineup and expect them to produce. It’s a balancing act personnel-wise the gents push and pull to find the right balance. They’re not supposed to be lock-step in terms of their personnel beliefs, and Babcock and Holland have always stated that their disagreements push them and their team to be better—and that they value their dissenting points of view because it makes *the coach and management* better.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/23/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Also

“I’d like to get Pavel started here so he can get on a run.”

Then why are you putting Danny Boy Cleary on Pavs wing? You need secondary scoring so you promote him to the 1st line? A guy with 3 points in 22 games? I don’t understand Babcock’s coaching tactics anymore.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 11/23/13 at 11:15 AM ET

George; good post. I understand what you’re saying and it makes sense, but it just seems as if we are disorganized right now and KH isn’t finding any teams to help “alleviate” our problems. He made his bed for the season and now we’re stuck with it.

The Nyquist promotion made me so happy and when he potted 2 goals I was ecstatic. But on the flip side, it proved that Holland was wrong, which sucks, but whatever. I don’t want Kenny to lose his swagger but I feel like he already has a little bit. It’s frustrating.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 11/23/13 at 11:17 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Young Man’s game and Men’s league are not mutually exclusive.

A young man is still a man. A kid is just a kid.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/23/13 at 11:18 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I thought that quote about datsyuk was very telling to about Babcock. It really makes no sense to put Cleary up with datsyuk. He hasn’t earned it, doesn’t deserve it and should be relegated to the 4th line until he earns his way up the lineup.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 11/23/13 at 11:19 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I really felt that the Nyquist move had to play out as it did—with the Wings trying to find homes for Emmerton, Eaves and Tootoo before demoting them. I didn’t expect it to play out any differently.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/23/13 at 11:19 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

It’s been pretty obvious to me this season that the way to “get Pav going” is to keep him on a line with Z.  I really think he feels more confident playing with Z and their chemistry gives him the motivation to shoot - and score - more.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/23/13 at 11:24 AM ET

On the bright side, how great is Helm doing? Babs noted that in his interview. Tatar-Helm-Abby is a phenomenal 3rd line.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 11/23/13 at 11:36 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/23/13 at 10:19 AM ET

It had to play out as it did because of the assinine signings Holland has made over the last couple of seasons.  This log jam didnt just magically appear, nor was it created as the unfortunate side effect of some other factor.  Its a mess made by poor cap and personnel management.

And after all this plays out, barring some miraculous trade the likes of which Holland hasnt made in quite some time, we’ll still be 1 or 2 NHL caliber dmen away from a good team, and still right up against the cap.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/23/13 at 12:54 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t think there’s any question in the trade department: the Wings need another top-four defenseman, and they need to find a way to make that trade work cap-wise. I would expect the team to make a hard push for that kind of player at the deadline.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/23/13 at 01:04 PM ET

I would really like to see the Wings trade some high end prospects and Q for an established Defenseman. Q has to go to balance cap, they may have to throw in someone else like sammy to clear cap as well, depending on acquired player numbers.

Lets face it. Almquist, Sproul and Ouellet are never going to all play for the Wings, not even talking about Marchenko or Jensen. Some of them should be traded before they are given away free a la Quincey. I’d be great with high end prospects and a draft pick for a top pair defenseman. The Wings would still have 2-3 guys who have good potential and a fairly complete defensive corps.

Same thing goes for the forwards. I would actually like to see Cleary stick around for veteran leadership, but not at the expense of the younger players coming up. They need to clear some people out so they can bring up young talent and put it on the fourth line. Ideally, they have a reasonably set top 6, someone like cleary on the third line, and make the fourth line a development line. I don’t know that I see that happening though. I think one of the keys to that would be that Mule would have to be bought out.

Posted by teldar on 11/23/13 at 01:48 PM ET

the Wings need another top-four defenseman

Signing players we don’t need and keeping prospects in the minors longer than needed is why the Wings are in the position they’re in right now. Trying to add another guy would just create a logjam on defense. We don’t have a good trade candidate on the roster. Trading prospects is just a no-no to me right now.

I don’t see how we benefit in any way from getting another top 4 defenseman.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/23/13 at 03:14 PM ET

I should add that trading prospects wouldn’t clear any space on the roster…

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/23/13 at 03:15 PM ET

Except for the part where you made the better part of 5 or 6 posts declaiming how you had no idea who the roster stuff was going to work its way out, as though it was a mystery.

Yeah, I told you how it was going to work out, but that was just me ‘trolling’ apparently. smile

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/23/13 at 05:57 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Oh for *#$%@&’s sake. I didn’t know how it’d work out at the time. It turned out to have worked out as you predicted. So, oh woe, how I must bow down to the enlightened one.

I’ve never figured out why the “interactive” experience that is reading a website or blog’s contributions becomes a “personal war” between author and the “more enlightened reader who knows all,” but Jesus Mary and Hockey in HD, it’s a mighty stupid one.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/23/13 at 06:12 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

And quite bluntly, the fact that you are a troll has nothing to do with the substance of your comments as much as their tone and tenor. Holier-Than-Thou = HiHD.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/23/13 at 06:13 PM ET

Don’t overreact, George.  You professed confusion as to how things would play out.  To subsequently say they ‘had to play out as they did’ is just a bit of an odd note to strike given that previous context, is all.

I admit I don’t exactly get how you think me disagreeing with you when I think you’re wrong equates to a ‘personal war’, but I readily allow I don’t invest overmuch in my digital self-image to react so when it is confronted.

Enh.  You don’t appear to know what a troll is.  You’re conflating me telling you uncomfortable truths with ‘trolling’, which is someone saying stuff just to get a rise out of people.  Calling me a ‘troll’ just makes it easier for you to disregard what I’m saying, which really shouldn’t that much of a struggle, right?  Opinions are opinions.

Hell, if I wanted to troll you I’d have had you in the fetal position two months ago.  I’m just here giving my opinion about hockey stuff.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/23/13 at 07:16 PM ET

“I told you so.” “I told you so.” “I told you so.” Have you left the third grade yet?

no its still trolling. If you can’t fool the rest of us how can you fool yourself when you are so much more intelligent?

...I readily allow I don’t invest overmuch in my digital self-image…

I wager you don’t invest much in your “non-digital” self either.

You [George] don’t appear to know what a troll is.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You’re conflating me…with ‘trolling’, which is someone saying stuff just to get a rise out of people.

Uhm, again, I think you hate most in other people what you hate most in yourself. You do not use facts to back up your positions, you say you hate what others do yet you do them, and you have personally gone after George countless times….and that’s exactly how you describe Trolling. Give it up man. Embrace it and maybe, maybe you will get the respect you are trying to get with every fiber in your body.

Opinions are opinions.

Opinions aren’t opinions when facts don’t make sense with them. Those Opinions are called lies.

Oh my, I can’t wait to continue to use this against you. Why even open your mouth? You have completely lost your argument by making such a sophomoric (more like moronic) claim. Ohhhh, thanks for holding back on poor old George. You’re so kind for not reducing us all into primordial soup. We thank your almighty greatness for being kind and caring to us lower lifeforms. Puke! Puke! Puke!

Get over yourself.

I’m just here giving my opinion about hockey stuff.

Damn, I spoke too soon.

Please, Please, Please, post again so I can bring up your fetal comment again. It’s a classic.

George, can you make a special page where we all can post this wacko says?

Posted by howeandhowe on 11/24/13 at 12:44 PM ET