The Malik Report

Babcock Would Like A Right-Handed Shot Dman

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

"We got seven left-hand D. I love (to have a righty), but how do you get it?" Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said over the weekend at the NHL entry draft in Philadelphia. "It's great to have this fantasy; like (general manager) Kenny Holland would tell you, there's no tree. I've been all over him, but there's no tree to grab them off of, so we'll get what we get."

Babcock, who can't comment on specific players, said acquiring a defenseman is "absolutely 100 percent" the club's priority, as opposed to a forward....

The Red Wings are willing to offer Niskanen the maximum seven-year contract he likely will seek because he's only 27. But they might be reluctant to give him the money he's expected to command ($6 million or more per season).

There are other right-handers who interest the Red Wings, including Anton Stralman, who had a strong playoff run for the New York Rangers. But he's not the offensive-minded power-play quarterback Detroit would prefer.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

There are other right-handers who interest the Red Wings, including Anton Stralman, who had a strong playoff run for the New York Rangers. But he’s not the offensive-minded power-play quarterback Detroit would prefer.

A right-handed veteran PMD.  Can’t get anymore specific than that when Babcolland is on the warpath.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/29/14 at 10:14 PM ET

What?  A right-handed defenseman?  Why is this the first we’re hearing about this?

Posted by Garth on 06/29/14 at 10:22 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Babcock, who can’t comment on specific players, said acquiring a defenseman is “absolutely 100 percent” the club’s priority, as opposed to a forward….

I really, really wish I could believe this.  The way this seems to work lately though is when they say this, they do something else.

A d-man is *ALL* I want out of and for this team.  It would make an enormous difference.  Get the d-man, and play the kid at forward.  I know everyone insists there needs to be more scoring, but to be blunt you’ll get that if Pav and Z can stay healthier.  And if they can’t…. it might be time for DET to consider some other changes.

Posted by Primis on 06/29/14 at 10:25 PM ET

Ian White?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/29/14 at 11:04 PM ET

Ian White?

Good thing I wasn’t drinking anything while reading that…

Posted by Garth on 06/29/14 at 11:12 PM ET

Who is Yzerman clearing all this cap space for? Has to be a verbal commitment from somebody I guess.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/30/14 at 12:30 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’m just going to say it.  Niskanen is overrated.  Look at his stats over the last 8 years (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=87879) - Ok, so he had one hot year.  The rest of them are other than ‘08 in Dallas are garbage.  That’s not a trend, and it’s certainly not a trend that’s worth a long term deal.  Pass.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/30/14 at 12:51 AM ET

Three years of improving production isnt a trend?

Posted by Garth on 06/30/14 at 07:30 AM ET

Good thing I wasn’t drinking anything while reading that…

Posted by Garth on 06/29/14 at 11:12 PM ET

Dammit.  I was thisclose.  Thisclose.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/30/14 at 10:18 AM ET

Niskanen’s possession numbers are a more consistent trend.

Posted by captaineclectic on 06/30/14 at 10:51 AM ET