The Malik Report

Babcock- “We Got To Get Way More Out Of More Guys”

Mike Babcock with his assessment of the Wings' OT loss to the Lightning.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

I understand and respect other people’s opinion (well, I try!!)...I read that firing the coach would be a good solution since the players are doing ” the charlie brown professor route” where nobody pays attention. Although I honestly understand that (hell, I would love to just get rid of my boss of 10 years…a real pain)...I fell to see how players like Q, Smith, Samuelson, Cleary, Eaves, tootoo, Miller..or even Abdelkader and Wess can perform better….we are still stuck with these players (well for now anyway)....unless we can get rid of some players and then still not perform to our potential I might be more inclined to agree. Of course, a different voice could motive the players for a while, but I don’t see how a different coach could make some of these contracts look good…..hell, I am not even sure a new coach could motivate the Mule (regardless of what is happening to him, I think we can agree that he is not the most motivated player out there)

And of course, I can be wrong…and I am mad at the way we play…..that being said, I would first like to see some movement to move out some of these horrendous contracts, call back Nq and then see what we really have…..Christmas is coming soon….who knows LOL:)

Posted by gowings from MTL on 11/10/13 at 12:33 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’m with you, gowings. This, to me, is a Ken Holland problem. He created it and he needs to fix it.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 11/10/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

We went through this same sh** four years ago.

If anyone can’t see Babcock is totally focused on the Olympics and the Wings are an afterthought is someone who is purposefully blind.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/10/13 at 02:21 PM ET

The best thing to do to improve this team right away is to play the right players..llike Nyquist and maybe Jurco

We need grit, passion, intensity and desire to win.

Posted by PierreC on 11/10/13 at 02:47 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by gowings from MTL on 11/10/13 at 11:33 AM ET

This.

This really is a coherent, rational opinion.

We as fans all want to think that this team really is better than this, but the overwhelming evidence in our faces is that it is NOT better than this.  As I said in the previous post, they may in fact be OVERACHIEVING right now as it is, which is scary.  Their goal differential shows that they belong in the cellar of their division, and that they aren’t a playoff team.  Late goals to tie and sneak a point repeatedly can’t and won’t hide that forever.  People can talk advanced stats all they want, the basic stats outside of Points though show a pretty weak team whose goalie is asked to shoulder far too much of the load..

Our roster is just not very good as it stands now.

Posted by Primis on 11/10/13 at 03:51 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

We went through this same sh** four years ago.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/10/13 at 01:21 PM ET

You are absolutely right Red Winger. What bothers me the most though, is 1 Cup in 9 years, and, having some of the very best players to ever play the game on his roster for most of his tenure. Sorry but that just doesn’t cut it.

A wise man named Gramps “aka” HockeyTownTodd said, more than once, that the Wings would have won in 2008 with or without Babcock. He never cared for his style of coaching.

He was right.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/10/13 at 03:56 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Our roster is just not very good as it stands now.

I agree but I don’t see any trades as they have to be $ for $ due to low cap.  Wings players that should be traded are over paid immensely.  We are stuck with these players until the trade deadline or more likely UFA deadline.

Average team at best this year. Next year higher Cap, dump UFAs and bring up a few GR players and maybe sign a UFA.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 11/10/13 at 04:06 PM ET

Agreed there are no fixes for this season. I laugh when people list the players we need to dump…dump to who? GMs aren’t blind they know our situation and will gladly let the Wings be stuck in the middle of the pack with our horrible contracts.We will likely limp into the playoffs this year and get a crappy pick and hope for the best next year.

As far as the Babcock Olympic thing. I’m glad more people are acknowledging it as a thing. He is MOST definitely distracted by it and he takes winning the gold as serious as winning the Cup no doubt

Posted by brians neck on 11/10/13 at 04:24 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

and he takes winning the gold as serious as winning the Cup no doubt

Posted by brians neck on 11/10/13 at 03:24 PM ET

It’s an honor to represent one’s Country at the Olympics.“Leave No Doubt”(sarcasm)

That being said, Babcock get’s paid to win Stanley Cups. Not Olympic Gold.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/10/13 at 04:40 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

That being said, Babcock get’s paid to win Stanley Cups. Not Olympic Gold.

I imagine he’s getting paid for both.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 11/10/13 at 05:08 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 11/10/13 at 03:06 PM ET

I don’t see any trades this year either.  However, I didn’t rule them 100% out.

I now expect the Wings to miss the playoffs, barring someone like Kindl suddenly making a huge leap as a 1st pairing d-man or something actually miraculous.

Posted by Primis on 11/10/13 at 06:08 PM ET

I now expect the Wings to miss the playoffs

I don’t, not at all.

And that’s the problem.  They’re getting loser points galore and winning games they shouldn’t.  With all that they’re 4th in the conference and comfortably in the playoffs.  They also have two guys in the top 15 in scoring and good players who are under achieving.  It would almost be good if they DID miss the playoffs because Holland might actually have to do something to fix the team, but I don’t see them missing the playoffs and if they make it, all Holland has to do to justify keeping this team together is point to the ongoing playoff streak.

The problem with this team isn’t that they’re bad, it’s that they’re simply middle of the pack.

Posted by Garth on 11/10/13 at 06:24 PM ET

Two OT losses and the team is going to miss the playoffs.  Wow.  Let’s slow down the hyperventilating for a minute.

Ericsson will be back.

Weiss and Franzen will be back.

I know those three guys aren’t Lidstrom, Yzerman and Shanny but they are what we have right now.  Tootoo is gone, so just maybe Babcock will remember how to roll four lines soon.  The key to our second line might just be Weiss taking faceoffs and Franzen playing center otherwise positionally.  Alfredsson has impressed even with the lines rotating constantly.

Nyquist isn’t coming up unless Sammy goes.  Can’t see anyone taking him unless its a team blowing things up at the deadline.  Unless we package him with Quincy or Smith for a top two D the answers have to come from the team as it is.

Posted by maltby18 on 11/10/13 at 06:45 PM ET

Why in the heck would someone trade us a top two d for Sammy and Quincy or Smith?
Sammy will not be traded unless you put a TOP prospect with him and eat a good chunk of his salary.

Posted by brians neck on 11/10/13 at 09:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 11/10/13 at 05:24 PM ET

They’re middle of the pack in a bad conference.  That’s what worries me the most.

I just don’t see any “signs” that the Wings can actually rise up to a higher level of play than they are at currently.  I don’t see puck luck, or bounces to even out, or anyone to replace in the lineup that helps.  I am worried a few other underachievers in the East *can* turn it around still.

I know people WANT to believe but… 20 games in, you are who you are.

Posted by Primis on 11/11/13 at 12:48 AM ET

Posted by Primis on 11/10/13 at 11:48 PM ET

I don’t disagree at all.  What I meant is that they fact that they’re middle of the pack, whether in a good conference or not, they probably will make the playoffs and thus the organization can use “the longest active playoff streak” as a reason to simply tweak and continue to stockpile bottom six forwards and continue to allow Johan Franzen to be an inconsistent scorer and consistent disappointment and say “look, our defense is young but they still made the playoffs so why not allow them to keep growing?” when what they need to do is take serious, serious stock of their roster and make some real, substantial changes.

Posted by Garth on 11/11/13 at 11:56 AM ET