The Malik Report

Babcock Talks While On The Red Carpet In Las Vegas

Updated 3x at 7:36 PM:

Update: Here's a video of Babcock speaking to the NHL Network, via RedWingsFeed:

And here are a few more Tweets:

Update #2: Also from ESPN's Pierre LeBrun:

While the NHL's involvement in future Olympics remains undecided, it's clear how two major voices feel about it.

Crosby and Mike Babcock would welcome further NHL participation.

"All the things that had to happen to make it work in Russia, it would be a similar case, maybe even more difficult with the next one, so we'll see," Crosby said Monday while in Vancouver accepting his Olympic championship ring. "But to represent your country and to have those opportunities, that never gets old, no matter what the situation is. As a player, you're always looking to those opportunities and you want to be a part of that. So we'll see what happens, but I would have no complaints [going to South Korea in 2018]."

Ditto, added Team Canada coach Babcock, a two-time Olympic gold medalist.

"To me, the Olympic Games are so special," the Red Wings coach said. "My mom never watched sports but she watched the Olympic Games. People that aren't interested in sports still follow the Olympics. I think it's the greatest opportunity, best on best, to sell sport in itself. The experience, just like Sid, for me has been absolutely fantastic, one I shared with my family in Vancouver and one I shared with the guys more so in Sochi. But it's something you want to be a part of and you want other people to be a part of. Whether that's through the TV or whether that's actually being there to experience it, to me it's a thrill of a lifetime."

Update #3:

Update #4: No Jack Adams:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

igrover's avatar

I’m beginning to wonder if Babcock wants more control and wants to find a situation where he is both GM and coach or has significantly more input into the lineup.

Obviously being both GM and coach is out of the question however I believe the second possibility is more of a reality.

Posted by igrover on 06/24/14 at 05:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well done interview.  Again points out, “look at the teams that are set to make a run at the Stanley Cup, Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, they’re all big and heavy teams.”

Message to Holland in there?  I’m sure they’ve discussed that face to face many times.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/24/14 at 06:33 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The opening to the award show was painfully awkward again, to the point where I turned it off again. It seems like they try to imitate other awards show, naturally, but is usually embarrassingly awkward.  They had so many people listed for special appearances that I don’t know how they will get through in two hours.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/24/14 at 06:35 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I liked that he hammered home “the kids,” too.

AND OH NO A HAIRCUT HE MEANS BUSINESS! wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/24/14 at 06:38 PM ET

I criticize Babs quite often for his lineup decisions and PP incompetence, but I absolutely admire his attitude. Always positive, always supportive, always looking forward on how to improve.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/24/14 at 07:02 PM ET

Starting to think Babcock is less keen on Alfredsson’s return than Holland.

Note Alfredsson third line role down the stretch, and then his 11:23 TOI at ES during the playoffs—11th among the team’s forwards.

Notice that Babcock once again referenced the league’s top teams as “big” and “heavy,” two things that Alfredsson is not. Given the size of Datsyuk, Zeterberg, Weiss, Tatar, Nyquist ...

Posted by Captain Bob on 06/24/14 at 07:15 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Ted Lindsey, who stood up to Jack Adams and helped forge the players association,  and was tough as iron, just threw up in his mouth a bit at the presentation of the award named in his honor.

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/24/14 at 07:20 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

As all Red Wing fans did.

Posted by bigfrog on 06/24/14 at 07:54 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/24/14 at 07:33 PM ET

Never been a workable recipe for this club. Holland has always tried to get those types of players, often to the point of serious fault.

If it’s going to happen, great, but I think it happens organically. You draft and develop, and try to get your best out of the Sheahans, Manthas, and Jurcos—guys with big frames but also big skills.

The Wings have proven that you don’t have to be big and heavy to win, that mental toughness is the most important. So I think a lot of this could well just be Babcock bullshitting because he took undersized but mentally tough teams far and won a Cup.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/25/14 at 08:01 AM ET