The Malik Report

Babcock States The Obvious

from Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News,

"Well, obviously, we've got to win a game," Mike Babcock said. "I mean, that's where we're at. That's what we'll think about for the rest of the day off, and tomorrow we'll get back at it.

"We've got to bounce back."

Asked about scoring, especially timely scoring, which has lagged in the series and, at times, throughout this season of transition for the Red Wings, Babcock talked about math.

"Well, I just think we've got to score one more than the other team," he said, the day after watching his club hit about three goalposts, amid some other close scoring opportunities.

"Whether it's Pavs (Pavel Datsyuk) or Mule (Johan Franzen) we've just got to have one more than the other team."

Henrik Zetterberg does not have a goal through five games, although he has authored some fine playmaking on a line with Datsyuk and Justin Abdelkader.

Abdelkader returns to the lineup Friday after a two-game suspension for a high body-check that contacted the head of the Ducks defenseman Toni Lydman.

read on

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

CaptNorris5's avatar

I hope “day off” means - “no on ice practice” but a metric fuchton of video review and strategy.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/09/13 at 05:24 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

“Day off” means travel. RBIII left LGB at 9:21am PDT and arrived at DTX at 4:18pm EDT. If they were watching any film or having any meetings, it happened at 33,000 feet.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/09/13 at 05:34 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

“Well, obviously, we’ve got to win a game,...“I just think we’ve got to score one more than the other team”

Uncle Mike doesn’t find it complicated, this game called hockey

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/09/13 at 05:57 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit”

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/09/13 at 06:12 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I just think we’ve got to score one more than the other team

Uncle Mike must have read my comment from the other day. He quoted me, verbatim.

“I just think we’ve got to score one more than the other team”

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/06/13 at 07:58 AM ET

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

wink

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/09/13 at 06:27 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

We only need to score 1 goal more than our opponent to win.

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/06/13 at 07:58 AM ET

Just kidding. But I was close.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/09/13 at 06:31 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Tee time beckons. the song is strong. must resist.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/09/13 at 07:44 PM ET

calquake's avatar

As Mo and others have been preaching throughout the series: Beat the Ducks one shift, one period, one game at a time.  That’s all that is left… if that’s not good enough then Wings won’t win the series.

Posted by calquake on 05/09/13 at 08:03 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

They played that 5 min major with all the intensity of a team that already dusted off the golf clubs.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/09/13 at 08:56 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

As I stated at the end of the live blog last night. I am proud of the way this team has played regardless of the outcome of this series. To overcome the adversity of player losses due to injuries, retirements, and just allowing the noobs to get some needed experience. This teams future looks much better now than at the beginning of the season.

We just have to be patient developing chemistry during this retooling phase. It will all come together when it is ready. To use the old cliche.  Rome was not built in a day.

We are not done with this season just yet. We had to win 4 games in a row just to get here. 2 now is very doable.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 05/09/13 at 09:13 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Good point cigar nurse. I thought they’d end up fighting for the 7th/8th spots, but they definitely exceeded expectations with all the injuries.

Butttttt what’s happening with Cola and White? I know Cola has another year, but I wonder what Holland thinks now that he’s paid two d-men to sit on the bench most of the year and all of the playoffs.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/09/13 at 10:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

5m in asses riding the pine.

With DDK going down we still have two vets on the bench.  Too bad we didn’t get ANYTHING for him/them.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/10/13 at 03:28 AM ET