The Malik Report

Babcock Says No DeKeyser, No Playoffs

from Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

After the loss of Nicklaus Lidstrom (retirement) and Brad Stuart (trade), coupled with their inability to sign a top notch defenseman this offseason and the injuries they faced at the start, the Wings patched things together to where now the blue line is one of their strengths.

“We’ve really improved drastically in that area, probably the most improved part of our team,” said Wings coach Mike Babcock, whose squad faces Anaheim in the first round of the playoff Tuesday night. “With (Jimmy Howard) playing the way he is and the D able to get the puck going, we’re spending a lot less time in our zone. That allows you to be much better up front.”

And everything seemed to come together on the blue line when Detroit was able to land Danny DeKeyser.

read on

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That’s a shot across the bow to the guys who have played here a few years now.
Get hungry boys.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/29/13 at 08:16 PM ET

Primis's avatar

In all fairness, Dekeyser’s arrival juuuusssst about coincided with guys getting healthy and depth returning on the blue line.  It’s hard to know if Dekeyser’d have been as effective or looking as good with guys like Lahsoff and White getting the ice-time they were.

DET at one point had what, 3 of their Top Six d-men out at the same time?

I mean, I like the kid, I do.  He’s responsible and more-importantly he moves and skates well (which for some reasons certain other d-men just don’t do anymore).  Just want everyone to have some realistic expectations…

Posted by Primis on 04/29/13 at 08:53 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I just wonder if he will make a greater impact as a player over Schultz in the long run. We can only hope.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/29/13 at 09:01 PM ET

That’s a shot across the bow to the guys who have played here a few years now.

Or a shot across the bow of the guy who replaced Brad Stuart’s stay-at-home defensive reliability with Carlo Colaiacovo’s inability to roll out of bed without injuring himself.

Posted by Primis on 04/29/13 at 08:53 PM ET

Fair enough, but credit where credit is due.  DeKeyser addressed a need that the Wings had when Stuart left town.

Posted by Garth on 04/29/13 at 09:13 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

can we get ONE MORE Del Keyser and then finally move Ericsson up to left wing?  PLEASE?!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/29/13 at 09:21 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

I’m with you Paulie. He looks very strong bringing the Puck in the zone. Love to see how he would do digging the Puck out of the corners and crease pressure.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/29/13 at 09:29 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

jitters setting in yet?  I’m trying not to think about it.  but 24 hours from now?  I’m gonna be a mess.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/29/13 at 09:32 PM ET

calquake's avatar

jitters setting in yet?

I’m trying to be realistic in my expectations.  I feel that if the Wings play like their last four games they will take the series to seven at worst and win in six if things go well. (like Fillpula will become the 5 million dollar man he wants to be, like Mule continues his scoring pace as of late, like the Matrix of Brunner-Anderson-Nyquist becomes a scoring line and the defense plays steady in our zone with good outlet passes.)

Then again that might just be the likker talkin’.

Posted by calquake on 04/30/13 at 12:37 AM ET

d ca's avatar

This is a nice way of saying,

“I would have been forced to play White more…and there is no way we would have won as many games with him out there.”

Posted by d ca on 04/30/13 at 03:30 AM ET

i really hope he doesn’t spend the next 3 years in grand rapids getting ‘over ripe’. unfortunately, my gut tells me this just might be the case.

Posted by syndrome on 04/30/13 at 07:07 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Who is this Nicklaus Lindstrom guy anyways?

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 04/30/13 at 09:22 AM ET