The Malik Report

Babcock Praises The Defense

Paul here again, George has a new laptop and should be back today at some time.

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Mike Babcock is wary of plans because they so often go awry, but nearly halfway through the Detroit Red Wings' season, it appears he's found a defense corps that can make things happen.

Babcock again praised the group of six that helped deliver a 2-1 shootout victory Thursday at HP Pavilion against the Sharks. It was the same suspects that Babcock saw much good during Wednesday's 2-1 loss at Los Angeles: Niklas Kronwall, Jonathan Ericsson, Brendan Smith, Kyle Quincey, Brian Lashoff and Jakub Kindl.

"I liked our D tonight," Babcock said. "I thought it was the best group we've had all year. We looked like a hockey team at times."

continued and watch the highlights of last night's SO win over the Sharks below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

We’ll see if he says the same thing about 3 o’clock on Sunday

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/01/13 at 09:12 AM ET

So what do they get in return for Ian White?

Posted by Garth on 03/01/13 at 09:14 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

I quite cant understand this statement, after 2 games benching White
I mean, he gotta know its gonna get to White, and I dont think it can achieve any good, so whats the point?

Posted by Zqto on 03/01/13 at 09:14 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Kevin Allen tweeted this on Wednesday…

Look for the Carolina Hurricanes to trade for a veteran defenseman over the next few days.

The two teams Allen probably knows best are the Wings and Canes. Hmmmm?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/01/13 at 09:18 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

How sweet it would be for the Wings to give the Hawks their first loss on national TV on Sunday.  Get it done, boys!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/01/13 at 09:20 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

The two teams Allen probably knows best are the Wings and Canes. Hmmmm?
Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/01/13 at 09:18 AM ET

White (and maybe Flip too) to Carolina but who comes this way? Hmmm….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/01/13 at 09:21 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Depends on the return of course, but I can’t help but think with young guys like Lashoff and Kindl in the lineup, and White’s right-handed shot on the power play, the Wings may regret letting him leave.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/01/13 at 09:22 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

White (and maybe Flip too) to Carolina but who comes this way? Hmmm….

Nobody I want.  Staal the elder and Semin are playing together and neither, obviously, is going anywhere.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/01/13 at 09:26 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Poor Kindl.  Uncle Mike has him so mixed up he plays in a shell.  What he needs is a stay at home guy so he can utilize his skating and passing and make plays.  Right now he’s a mess. (I gotta think Babcock’s comments are a smoke screen.)  Over and over I see him shy away from making the play at the blue line in the offensive zone, to keep the puck in the zone, because he’s afraid of that break away ... but he just ends up backing up into a rush anyway.  Paired with Q in that situation is disaster waiting to happen.  Chicago should expose it bitterly.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/01/13 at 09:30 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Actually MoreShoot Babcock had high praise for Kindle after the game.  In his post game interview with Keating, he said Kindl played physical, took the body, good passing and shooting the puck.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/01/13 at 09:37 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Hard to disagree with this.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/01/13 at 09:39 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I didn’t see the 3rd period.  Maybe he got better, but he looked real tentative to me, especially in the first.

But I think back, he was mostly paired with Lashoff, not Q, right?

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/01/13 at 09:43 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/01/13 at 09:26 AM ET

I know. Looking at the Canes’ roster I don’t see anybody that I think the Wings would want unless there’s another team involved.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/01/13 at 10:20 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

What about Kunk Suskind? What is he, chopped liver?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/01/13 at 10:23 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I got it: White and a pick to Carolina, Jokinen to Dallas, Jagr to Detroit.

Just kidding (I hope).

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/01/13 at 10:31 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I got it: White and a pick to Carolina, Jokinen to Dallas, Jagr to Detroit.
Just kidding (I hope).
Posted by MoreShoot on 03/01/13 at 10:31 AM ET

Thanks a lot! You just made me take a big pull off the flask I keep in my desk. Now it’s half empty and I’m not even half way through my day confused

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/01/13 at 11:36 AM ET

perfection's avatar

I think Kindl’s been great and I’m really glad Babs is finally letting him play. You do get the feeling Babcock’s statement about how good the D looked was directed square at Ian White. Not sure still how people think that does anything but LOWER his trade value (if he had much in the first place). White and Filps are both UFA’s after this season, so I don’t think they will bring much of anything in trade. Sorry folks. Rental players are usually sold off by non-playoff contenders to playoff contenders. No playoff contender is trading us a star d-man, so the reality is for us to upgrade significantly, we will have to trade assets we really value to a struggling team. Expiring contracts obviously won’t cut it. I sure hope Tatar is off the table right now because he has definitely played his way into my heart this season grin

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/01/13 at 11:55 AM ET

Kevin Allen tweeted this on Wednesday…

The two teams Allen probably knows best are the Wings and Canes. Hmmmm?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/01/13 at 09:18 AM ET

Karmanos and Ilitch making a deal?  Naaaaaw…

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/01/13 at 12:04 PM ET

Has anyone claimed that they think Babcock has raised White’s trade value?

And I don’t think Babcock cares about White’s trade value as much as he cares about how well the Wings are playing.

Posted by Garth on 03/01/13 at 12:33 PM ET

So it took a close loss and a win for Babcock to realize the value of playing the best roster instead of the most veteran roster?

I wonder when this translates to the forwards so that maybe Tatar or Andersson (or the AHL’s second leading scorer, Gustav Nyquist) get a chance to play with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Posted by Garth on 03/01/13 at 12:35 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The Poor Pavel line has got to go. Even one winger on his line with hands and the abllity to finish would be #$%^&* awesome.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/01/13 at 12:59 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Hell, even Eaves on Pav’s wing would vastly improve that line.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/01/13 at 01:17 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Good to see Gus play well considering he has not played much.  A good backup in this crammed year is very important.

Aby coughed up the puck to Jumbo Blow on the 1st Shark Goal.  My concern with him is he can not continue to be on Pav’s Wing and probably not Cleary either.

I just don’t get Babs thinking or lack of on this line.  Pav had ZERO shots. This is beyond frustrating for me!!

Put at least one skilled player with Pav, Nyquist is obviously my choice but it wonted happen this year sadly.

Even, Fil would be better when he returns.  Have to score more than 1 goal most games to get a W.

Will see how they fair against Hawks on Sunday! Another Huge 2 points

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/01/13 at 01:53 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Karmanos and Ilitch making a deal?  Naaaaaw…

Posted by SYF from Hutt Funkins on 03/01/13 at 12:04 PM ET

You were thinking of #91 too I bet hehe.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/01/13 at 01:55 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Love to see a line of 21-13-63. Its got speed, hands, finesse, size.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/01/13 at 01:57 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

NIVO, that sent tingles up my leg.  With Andersson and Tatars work ethic, shot, vision, play anticipation.. I think that line would score every game.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/01/13 at 02:08 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Love to see a line of 21-13-63. Its got speed, hands, finesse, size.

I would like to see that line also BUT I ask , Why does Babs not even try it a few times in games/practice.

Seems too obvious I guess!  Babs has man crush on Aby/Cleary

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/01/13 at 02:08 PM ET

You were thinking of #91 too I bet hehe.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/01/13 at 01:55 PM ET

Well, yeah…  :larfs:

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/01/13 at 03:59 PM ET