The Malik Report

Babcock On The Playoffs And Moving Forward

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“I thought our guys played hard and really competed,'' Babcock said. “I’ve said life is about maximizing what you got and I thought our group did that.''

Young players like Gustav Nyquist, Damien Brunner, Joakim Andersson and Jakub Kindl experienced tremendous growth during the season and in the playoffs. Babcock believes the future is bright.

The Red Wings are moving to the Eastern Conference next season, as the NHL realigns. They will join a division with Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto.

“I’d like to see a healthy (Danny) DeKeyser, a healthy (Darren) Helm if he’s playing again, and we could be a way better team,'' Babcock said. “We need to be better if we want to be in this position consistently and not just by working, but by being good enough to be in this position. We have some work to do to as a group this summer.''

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

“I’d like to see a healthy (Danny) DeKeyser, a healthy (Darren) Helm if he’s playing again”,

WTF Mike?  It’s not bad enough some of us are already afraid Helm might not play again, why did you have to add that in there?

Posted by Primis on 05/30/13 at 11:57 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

That’s fine and dandy but they still need a top 2 Dman, a scorer and a large ornery forward. I’m nervous that Kenny will think we’re fine the way we are because we “overachieved”

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/30/13 at 12:02 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/30/13 at 11:57 AM ET

I came exactly to say this haha. What does that mean Babs??

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/30/13 at 12:06 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/30/13 at 12:02 PM ET

True facts, but it ain’t comin this offseason, unless some GMs make some really stupid compliance buyouts. (i.e. buying out anyone who isn’t a pylon). The UFA class ain’t much to shake a stick at.

The summer o’ 2014 though. That thurr is a mighty tempting looking list. Kenny’s gonna have his eyes on the future. The youth will be relied upon again and we’ll probably save the cap space for a big gun or two rather than overspend in the short term.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/30/13 at 12:09 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

this is like a dream come true.  how many times will the Wings play in Miami?  I’m hoping four games a season, maybe even more.  but anything will be better than the way it’s been - once every other season.

I’ll get to go to Wings games!  HOORAY!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/30/13 at 12:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

one thing I wonder is if the move to the Eastern Conference will have an impact on the players with respect to getting used to a new travel routine, new hotels, new locations, new restaurants, etc etc etc

hopefully by the halfway mark of the season, all the kinks will be worked out.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/30/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Just took a looky-loo and you’re right, there’s some doozies coming up next summer. Let’s sign Clarkson this summer then Datsyuk and Vanek next. Me likey. Me likey very much.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/30/13 at 12:30 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

holy crap the 2014 UFAs are like half the freaking league!  is that because of contracts signed after the last CBA went into effect, or something?  is it going to be like this for a while - nothing for a few years and then a large crop of UFAs one year…or is 2014 just an aberration?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/30/13 at 12:49 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Primis on 05/30/13 at 11:57 AM ET

I’m scared of Helm possibly not returning, but if Babcock is mentioning that possibility, then it’s probably something that’s been discussed in recent weeks. Just a thought.

It’s a very real possibility, A very scary, very real possibility.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/30/13 at 01:10 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I came exactly to say this haha. What does that mean Babs??

Well it probably means Babs doesn’t expect Helm to even be on the ice for another month or more and that makes him (and me) pretty nervous, considering how potentially impacting, and irreplaceable, Helm is.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/30/13 at 01:11 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/30/13 at 01:11 PM ET

I could really use some good news.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/30/13 at 01:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I could really use some good news.

I just saved 15% on my car insurance…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/30/13 at 01:25 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

As many others I would sure like to see Babs clarify this “If he’s playing again”.  This Helm back thingy has been strange right from the start!

Posted by OnlyWings on 05/30/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Detroit’s not going to win too many second round series where Datsyuk and Z combine for 2 goals over 7 games, though.  They can add all the depth players they want, and as long as the top 2 players are not producing, forget it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/30/13 at 01:26 PM ET

considering how potentially impacting, and irreplaceable, Helm is.

Well, the PK was way better this year without him and that’s all Helm did.  I don’t think ‘irreplaceable’ is the issue as far as Helm is concerned.

In reality, not having Bert or Sammy or Dekeyser healthy had more of an impact on this series than not having Helm.  Any of the three.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/30/13 at 01:30 PM ET

They need some wingers who can score, rather than Fil and Mule who just skate around the perimeter.

Helm’s not irreplaceable but he gives the Wings something they sorely lacked this season - pure speed - to force bad plays by the other team.

Posted by AZWinger on 05/30/13 at 01:39 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Helm’s not irreplaceable

name me one player on the squad who is as adept at forechecking and retrieving pucks and providing game changing speed?

Emmerton, Eaves are pretty good.  Abdelkader, Anderson, Cleary a little less so (tho Cleary was much better of late).

But ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6ovQJK8rA

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/30/13 at 01:46 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/30/13 at 01:26 PM ET

yeah, because shutting down the other team’s top line isn’t valuable at all.

it’s like Babcock said - the third line wins you games in the playoffs.  why?  because the first two lines of each team are busy shutting each other down, and cancelling out.

3rd line is where the depth is…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/30/13 at 01:48 PM ET

I think that’s what I said. smile

and this:

Is hard work and determination.

This:

is speed.

Posted by AZWinger on 05/30/13 at 01:54 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Haven’t been on KK since this morning, and when I opened the page to this blog there were…wait for it ...19 comments.

Just as it should be.

The sun will indeed rise tomorrow.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/30/13 at 01:58 PM ET

The sun will indeed rise tomorrow.  Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie

Ha, has it stopped snowing for the season in the Soo?  cool hmm

Posted by AZWinger on 05/30/13 at 02:11 PM ET