The Malik Report

Babcock Gets Walk-Through Idea From Izzo

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

That this had never occurred to an NHL head coach at some point before this is, quite frankly, astonishing.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/26/13 at 04:10 PM ET

Crater's avatar

What do they mean by walkthrough? Just like, whiteboard session off ice?

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 08/26/13 at 05:21 PM ET

igrover's avatar

And there was that famous NBA walkthrough the Lakers had in the ballroom of the hotel they were staying at in Boston during the 1987 finals.  They used tape to lay out a half-court on the carpet to do some walkthroughs of specific plays they wanted to execute.

Posted by igrover on 08/26/13 at 06:39 PM ET

From TSN:

Uncle Mike conducting a walkthrough using ball hockey.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 08/26/13 at 06:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via CBC,

He wanted his players to have a physical feel of the size of the ice surface, how he wants the team’s breakout to go as well as the forecheck. It was really no different than what football and basketball teams do during off days.

So the ice was covered and the Olympic hopefuls went out in running shoes with sticks and gloves. Call it a ball hockey walk-through.

Babcock went as far as saying, he wouldn’t be surprised to see his team, the Detroit Red Wings, go through a walk-through at the team hotel one day, rather than take to the ice.

“I thought this was great,” he said. “No one got killed. It wasn’t hard. No one got hurt. There was no wear and tear on the body. It was fun, and it was different. The National Hockey League is 82 games, and it’s a grind. There was nothing wrong with this. It was good. They tell me Bob Johnson used to do this. That’s what [Edmonton Oilers president] Kevin Lowe was telling me last night.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/26/13 at 07:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I have to say, the fuss that has been made over this has taken me a bit by surprise.

This is not AT ALL unusual for other sports.  Why it is for hockey, I don’t know.  But Babcock using it with Detroit during the season would make sense.  You wouldn’t want to do it often at all, maybe once or twice during a too-many-games-in-not-enough-days run, replace a normal practice with this so they guys still get the mental benefits and a bit of muscle memory without the physical wear.

Izzo’s not a stranger to unusual practice ideas though.  He makes his MSU teams practice in full football pads from time to time…. which would not be unusual except he of course coaches *basketball*.  I’m pretty sure Izzo has contributed ideas to MSU’s hockey practices before as well, and helps recruit in all sports.

Posted by Primis on 08/26/13 at 11:14 PM ET