The Malik Report

Awesome news: Nicklas Lidstrom has taken the Red Wings up on their job offer

I just got in to Traverse City, so I’ll have more on this later, but, via NHL Gossip on Twitter, here is former Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom speaking to Aftonbladet’s Angelica Lundberg about the one exception he will make to the, “I just want to be a hockey dad” rule:

Question: What will you do to occupy yourself?

Nicklas Lidstrom: “I will work for the Red Wings. The idea’s that I’ll look around at some players that the team’s drafted here in Sweden. It’ll be a kind of amateur scouting, but I will also go back to the States a few times a year and meet sponsors. When I’m there, I’ll also attend various events with the team. I’ll also keep following Detroit because the - team wants me to know what’s happening and be able to come up with my views on the game.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

ChowYunCat's avatar

The Lidas Touch will live on.

Posted by ChowYunCat on 07/08/12 at 12:37 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Color me Happy and I don’t mean that new Flame player!

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 07/08/12 at 01:15 AM ET

A few pointers here and there for the defense when he comes back to the U.S. wouldn’t hurt either, particularly for a guy named Smith.
Ok, George, we’ll kick you in the butt next time wink this happens. We’ll let solo16 do the honors if that’s what it’s going to take.
I think most/all of us had the best intentions in mind for you, George (some more to encourage, some to push, etc.), but the reason for a community is to balance out our strengths and weaknesses in making this whole thing work, as a place for Wings fans to gather, argue, and support the team.
Thanks, good night.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/08/12 at 02:01 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Too bad the job offer wasn’t for #1 defenseman position.  That would be something to cheer about.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/08/12 at 02:24 AM ET

Imagine what Renney could’ve done with Lidstrom.  Man!

Anywahoo…good to see that Lidas will have an active participation with the Wings in his retirement years.  He and Andersson will make a formidable team for scouting in Europe.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/08/12 at 04:02 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Count me in as happy Nick will remain involved with the Wings.

cool smile