The Malik Report

Avalanche sign Erik Johnson to a 4-year contract extnesion

This had been reported yesterday, but the Colorado Avalanche are making it official, via NHL.com’s Dave Lozo:

The #Avs have signed defenseman Erik Johnson to a four-year contract. Details to follow.

Update: From NHL.com’s EJ Hradek:

Erik Johnson’s deal in Colorado is 4 years, $15M. Cap hit (AAV) is $3.75

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

shanetx's avatar

Wow.  That seems under value.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/03/12 at 01:36 PM ET

Ericsson money.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/03/12 at 01:38 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/03/12 at 11:36 AM ET

Posted by SYF from a drunken Guinness blitz on 07/03/12 at 11:38 AM ET

This is probably what the Wings are going to end up giving to Quincey, a second line player (unless they don’t land Suter).

Everybody thought the Avs were idiots and cursed them for destroying the FA market a few weeks back when they’ve inked Jones to the 4m per deal.

Nearly every contract that they’ve signed since then has been reasonable and in some cases, outstanding:

Duchense
O’Brien
Zannon
Wilson
Downie
Paranteau
Johnson

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 07/03/12 at 01:47 PM ET

If the rumor that the Wings have set aside a definite $5M to sign Q ($3.75M) and Gator ($1.5M), I would imagine there’s an arbitration waiting to be heard since both guys are RFAs.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/03/12 at 01:59 PM ET

Pretty good deal for Colorado considering what defensemen make these days. I’m not a big fan of Johnson’s, but I’d sooner pay him $7 million than Wideman $5.5. $3.75 sounds like quite the bargain.

Posted by larry from pitt on 07/03/12 at 02:34 PM ET