The Malik Report

Audio from the last day of the Red Wings’ development camp

The last day of the Red Wings' summer development camp is always somewhat jarring. The practice begins and proceeds like any other, but at the end, sometimes players gather for photos, and others hustle off. At the very end of Monday's activities, Team Lidstrom wished Pavel Datsyuk a happy birthday, with Alexei Marchenko wishing Datsyuk (who will turn 35 on March 20) a happy birthday in Russian...

And both after Blashill's all-30-skaters practice and the final set of skills drills, players in the locker rooms were busy tossing their gear into hockey bags (the getting-healthy Darren Helm wasn't encumbered by a hockey bag), and in the cases of the NCAA-eligible players, surrendering their gear to retain their NCAA eligibility.

The players also had to haul tuchas for one more yoga class and then a set of exit interviews. Some of them will be leaving for their homes all over North America and Europe today, but most will be leaving Traverse City tomorrow.

As such, getting any sort of interview was a difficult endeavor, and the five I got aren't long by any stretch of the imagination. I did the best I could given the circumstances!

Dean Chelios was very gracious and spoke at length about his attempts to return from a shoulder injury, the lessons learned during the development camps he's attended and his goals for the upcoming season--as well as his father's Hall-of-Famer-status, and what it means to work with "dad" on the ice:

Anthony Mantha discussed his experiences at camp and his goals for the off-season, especially heading into the prospect tournament in the fall:

James De Haas spoke about transitioning from the BCHL to NCAA hockey, and he talked about the investment that is paying his way to camp to maintain his eligibility:

Marc McNulty spoke briefly about his experiences at the camp...

And I *tried* to speak with Marek Tvrdon about turning pro. Emphasis on *tried.*

This isn't development camp-related, but FYI:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice

Just talked to Damien Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy. Wouldn’t say which teams he’s talked to. Says “nothing imminent” as far as signing.

Fuch you, Sheehy.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/15/13 at 11:53 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Says “nothing imminent” as far as signing.

Gee, maybe because 3 mil for 3-5 years for a guy with 40 odd NHL games under his belt is an awful steep price to pay.  Not that there’s a team who won’t pay that.  I’m just glad it isn’t the Wings.

Posted by calquake on 07/15/13 at 12:37 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Says “nothing imminent” as far as signing.

Posted by calquake on 07/15/13 at 01:37 PM ET

It’s a bit steep and a long term for an unproven commodity.

Really good skater with an instinct to seek out the shot and the goal , but overpayment.  Like to see him on the Wings but not for that much..

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/15/13 at 12:42 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/15/13 at 01:42 PM ET

You would think a common sense compromise might be a 1 year contract for say 2-2.5 mil so both sides can evaluate their positions.  However I don’t think that’s typical Sheehy tactics.

Posted by calquake on 07/15/13 at 01:14 PM ET

RW19's avatar

I feel kind of sorry for Brunner. I keep thinking that he’s going to end up like Leino and Fabian Brunnstrom - a guy that comes over later in his career, thinks he has to cash in right away and then just looks like crap.

I heard he was going to the Islanders and while that organization is brutal, that situation might be okay if he got to play with Taveras. But then when I heard the Devils ... I broke out laughing. Without Kovalchuk and Clarkson that team is going to be in full trap mode ... can anyone imagine Brunner in that system?

Posted by RW19 on 07/15/13 at 01:43 PM ET