The Malik Report

At The Morning Skate

So it looks like no Eaves or Lashoff, Colaiacovo skating in his place.

added 10:48am, Numerous reports say Howard left practice early but Holland says he will play tonight.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

A banged up 11 still makes that 2nd line. Ugh. I thought Eaves was playing pretty well last game. Good thing he’s taking a seat. hmmm

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/10/13 at 09:44 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I don’t know why Eaves is always the odd man out. Not fair.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/10/13 at 09:48 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

WTF?  Eaves is out, Bert and Sammy on the 4th line while Cleary not only still stays in, but on the 2nd line?  How does that make any sense at all?  SIT CLEARY.  And if you HAVE to have him in the lineup for the pk, at least get him on the 4th line and get someone with some actual skill on the 2nd line.  Eaves has been one of our mos dangerous offensive players the last 2 games and you sit him?  I really don’t understand.

Colaiacovo for Lashoff I like, but sitting Eaves pisses me off.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/10/13 at 09:49 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Jimmy?

gulp

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/10/13 at 10:14 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

No Eaves?  WHY?  He’s brought so much energy.  We need him!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/10/13 at 10:16 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

sitting Eaves pisses me off

I wonder if/ why he’d want to resign here to constantly be the odd man out.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/10/13 at 10:19 AM ET

He’s brought so much energy.  We need him!

His energy is needed the pressbox.  The Ducks have won the battles in the press box every game this season and Tootoo isn’t going to turn it around by himself.

Posted by Garth on 05/10/13 at 10:21 AM ET

perfection's avatar

yeah, I think Eaves has earned his ice too. I actually think Cleary’s been playing pretty hard out there too and Bert is clearly looking better and better. To me Sammy’s the odd man out, but it’s hard to sit a guy after he scores. That was my thought the second he put the puck in…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/10/13 at 10:23 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Khan!

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 9m Babcock confirms Eaves is sitting for Abdelkader. He said Howard didn’t stay on ice for long because of humidity, but he’s fine.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/10/13 at 10:37 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

So incredibly dumb that Eaves is sitting. Should be fun to watch Cleary trip over the blue line all night on that second line.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/10/13 at 10:42 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Wings need guys who play hard with a lot of energy…. That must be why Eaves and Tootoo are sitting. Only makes sense, right?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/10/13 at 10:57 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

The only possible explanation for Eaves sitting out is that he’s injured.

I refuse to accept that there could be any other reason.

If he’s not hurt…wow. One of the more inexplicable moves Babcock has made during his entire tenure here. Eaves has been one of the best forwards on the team in this series.

Mindboggling.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/10/13 at 11:06 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

To me Sammy’s the odd man out, but it’s hard to sit a guy after he scores.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/10/13 at 11:23 AM ET

I guess that’s probably the reasoning (if Eaves isn’t banged up).

I don’t know. I still don’t get it.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/10/13 at 11:10 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I don’t understand how Bertuzzi is on the 4th line.  at least swap Cleary and Bertuzzi in the above lineup.  although I can see the idea behind having Bert and Sammy play together, but with Emmerton?!

I think part of the plan must be this lineup gives Babbles the opportunity to mix up the lines as the game goes on.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/10/13 at 11:12 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/10/13 at 12:12 PM ET

I think hes counting on them being hard pressed to match that line down at the 4th spot. Not to mention we have last change, could be very favorable in certain times of the game tonight. Lookin forward to it.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/10/13 at 11:38 AM ET

Hmmm, I suppose I withdraw my statement from the previous post about Babcock probably not making any changes. -1 point.

Posted by Diggler from Marquette, MI on 05/10/13 at 11:46 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

Sammy-Emmerton-Bert is a sizeable helping of annoying in one line.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/10/13 at 11:59 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

Id really rather see 93-51-17 instead of 93-51-11. Atleast one guy on that line wouldnt be a turlet circler.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/10/13 at 12:34 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Here are lines they’re skating with: 40-13-8, 93-51-11, 14-63-24, 44-25-37

I’d much rather see…
• 40-13-44
The Ducks would have to pay more attention to Bert (for a number of reasons) than they’ve had to with Abby. That means more space for Pavel.
• 93-51-17
Eaves brings just as much “grit” at Cleary, but more speed and a scoring touch.
• 14-63-24
This line should never change until Helm returns.
• 37-25-8
Solid defensively and able to play against any of the Ducks lines.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/10/13 at 12:54 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If Eaves is hurt the team has to divulge it to the league.  If he’s listed as a Scratch and not w/ an injury, there is no injury, because I don’t think the Wings roll that way.

Sammy-Emmerton-Bert is a sizeable helping of annoying in one line.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/10/13 at 12:59 PM ET

If annoying put the puck behind Hiller, that might be more-useful.

When DET scores only 1 or 2 and loses again to end the season, it’ll be little consolation that those guys annoyed the Ducks.

I’m so sick of this sh*t from Babcock.

Posted by Primis on 05/10/13 at 12:58 PM ET

44-25-37

That’s a killer line.

A serial killer, a penalty killer and a…plexiglass killer?

Posted by Garth on 05/10/13 at 01:30 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

44-25-37
That’s a killer line.
A serial killer, a penalty killer and a…plexiglass killer?
Posted by Garth on 05/10/13 at 02:30 PM ET

Oh no you dit-int!  LOL

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/10/13 at 01:37 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Kruppa had some tweets about Babcock implying he didn’t want to sit Eaves, but that he had to in case one of the guys in wasn’t able to survive the entire game.  Which I have no idea what that means.  Eaves can play in any situation, he’s about as versatile as it gets.  Plus, if there’s a guy in danger of not survivng the game then maybe he shouldn’t be in there and Eaves should be.  I really don’t understand.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/10/13 at 02:05 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

44-25-37
That’s a killer line.
A serial killer, a penalty killer and a…plexiglass killer?
Posted by Garth on 05/10/13 at 02:30 PM ET

That’s some deep thinking there.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/10/13 at 02:06 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Here’s the sequence of @greggkrupa tweets.  Anyone make sense of it:

eaves out of lineup? “that’s a real good question, i asked myself the same thing. that makes no sense to me either… 1/2

2/2 “all i can say is because i have information you guys don’t have…” he feels he needs to keep other guys competitive.

wanted to clean up something i attributed to babcock, earlier. in saying eaves is out and kind of joking about why he would ever…

2/3 do such a thing, eaves having played so well, especially lately, babcock said there was information he can not give us about…

3/3 “i gotta have other guys to cover off other people in case they can’t survive.” i/o/w some concern about other players dictates move.

Ideas?

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/10/13 at 02:19 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

hmmm, Bert’s back isn’t holding up too well, and should we make it to game 7 Eaves fills the void? I have no idea, Kruppa has mixed his meds or something because that is some serious double talk and bassackwardness i’ve ever heard.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/10/13 at 02:37 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Ideas?

Franzen hasn’t been taking faceoffs on his line like he did when he first switched to center. And of course Cleary got rocked hard on Wednesday. But with Babs, it could be just about anything – or it could be nothing more than playoff-time “misdirection.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/10/13 at 02:37 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

I just don’t understand why that would dictate Eaves sitting out.  Cleary would be the guy I would most think wouldn’t be able to survive the entire game, so why not sit him and keep Eaves in?  I hope it’s the “misdirection” angle.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/10/13 at 02:45 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Warm-ups. Babs will decide in warm-ups. It’s very evident that Todd Bertuzzi is at about 70%, maybe, and Samuelsson’s been up and down.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/10/13 at 02:46 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Stay positive, Babs like to mix and match lines (a lot) so perhaps Cleary won’t spend that much time on the 2nd line before someone gets “promoted” into his spot.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/10/13 at 06:33 PM ET