The Malik Report

As Expected, Jordin Tootoo On Buyout Waivers

added 12:55pm,

Update #2: The Free Press's Helene St. James confirms...

General manager Ken Holland said the move was done partly because "Jordin wants to be back in the NHL. This gives him an opportunity."

MLive's Ansar Khan, the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan, the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness and DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose confirm:

"Toots doesn’t want to be in the American League. We don’t want him to be in the American Hockey League,” Holland said. “Toots has done everything we could have asked of him in the AHL. He hasn’t complained. He’s been a good foot solider. … I don’t think it’s fair to Toots and from the business standpoint, we don’t want Toots in the American Hockey League, so I got to figure out a way to get Jordin Tootoo back to the National Hockey League.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Capgeek has all the cap information on Tootoo regarding a buyout.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/14 at 12:16 PM ET

Wow! No one wanted to trade for him?!?!?!?!?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/18/14 at 12:37 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I figured KH could have gotten a 3/4th round pick. Good luck Jordin.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/18/14 at 12:56 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Wow! No one wanted to trade for him?!?!?!?!?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/18/14 at 12:37 PM ET

Assuming this was sarcasm? They’ve been looking since halfway through the season. Pretty safe to say no one was interested.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 06/18/14 at 01:02 PM ET

Sarcasm, indeed smile

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/18/14 at 01:07 PM ET

Gotta make some room for Cleary.

Posted by Garth on 06/18/14 at 01:32 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I would keep Tootoo and dump Cleary in a Heartbeat but Broken Cleary has Holland bent over. Tootoo will get signed, I hope, by some team at a lower Cap Hit.

Good Luck Tootoo!!!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/18/14 at 01:34 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

Am I the only one who feels that #22 never got a fair shake in the D? I would have preferred his energy over lethargic/old/busted players. In any event, best of luck to him.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 06/18/14 at 02:17 PM ET

Tootoo just does not fit in with all the young guys coming up. The enforcer type is getting passé, most young guys can take care of themselves or some of the new Wings are big boys.  Jordan may fit somewhere but his value is down to the base price.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 06/18/14 at 03:17 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by

jhpcarrier97

on 06/18/14 at 03:17 PM ET

Hahahahaha…..precious, just precious

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/18/14 at 03:48 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Am I the only one who feels that #22 never got a fair shake in the D?

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 06/18/14 at 02:17 PM ET

Yes, you are.  Or one of like 5 people in the world.

Every opportunity DET gave him, he screwed up.  He couldn’t stop with trying to fight and the nonsense.  H enever grasped that DET want a grinder, shift-disturber, and player, and was hung up on the enforcer part.

He was absolutely worthless in the red and white.

Posted by Primis on 06/18/14 at 04:03 PM ET

Tootoo would’ve fit better if Detroit didn’t perennially have too many bottom six forwards already.

Posted by Garth on 06/18/14 at 04:05 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 06/18/14 at 02:17 PM ET

No, you’re not the only one. He was brought in to fill a gap. Tough guy, keep the flies off, maybe even score a couple of goals.
Babcock pined for a gritty player that wasn’t afraid to fight. I have no idea why he was shafted, while Cleary is prized.

Good Luck, # 22.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/18/14 at 08:14 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Pity, I was hoping he’d add a bit of spice to this team. Oh well, good luck Jordin!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/18/14 at 10:11 PM ET