The Malik Report

Are You Excited About The Wings?

from Dave Bartkowiak Jr. of ClickOnDetroit,

The truth is they're a young team on the rise still looking for an identity. They're looking to mesh.

The Red Wings have huge promise and big expectations for young players such as Gustav Nyquist, Riley Sheahan, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, Petr Mrazek, Teemu Pulkkinen, Xavier Ouellet, Anthony Mantha, and dare I mention Brendan Smith?

For fans, this should be a team to get excited about. For free agents looking to win now, not so much. Guys signing big contracts are looking for the best place to win today. Being part of a transitional/retooling/rebuilding (whatever you want to call this) period is generally not a selling factor.

That's not a knock on the organization, it's not a knock on the coach, and it's not a knock on the GM. It's just how stuff happens now in the salary-capped NHL. Franchises can't just buy a contending roster overnight. Winning teams must be nurtured through the farm system.

Look at the Los Angeles Kings. That team has been built from the ground up, starting around the 2005-06 season. They put a system in place. They got a bunch of their own players -- their own draft picks -- to commit to the team's program.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

Look at the Los Angeles Kings. That team has been built from the ground up, starting around the 2005-06 season. They put a system in place. They got a bunch of their own players—their own draft picks—to commit to the team’s program.

Bullseye George!!

Enjoy Traverse and the young potential Wings

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 07/03/14 at 03:12 PM ET

Not currently, no. I’m planning on cancelling my center ice for next year and not watching the Wings at all, I think. Maybe if they are willing to actually let the youngsters compete for jobs and use them over older players who cannot get it done,I may think about watching them. But I can’t give them any money, even indirectly, if the focus is going to be on keeping the steak alive instead of winning. Lateral moves until the team falls apart and obstruction of the young players who offer more than e.g. Cleary is not something I want to pay to support.

Having said that, if they try to improve this summer and make changes before the season which indicates a desire to actually try, I’ll retract this.

Posted by teldar on 07/03/14 at 03:15 PM ET

I was perfectly content with the Wings going into TC in TC in September with having signed none of the guys they wanted and just go with the kids and let them gel together.  But re-signing KFQ?  I had to find me a bottle of Jameson’s finest to mute the crying laughter.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/03/14 at 03:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Actually LA made some great trades to fill holes with young talent in place and a couple rough guys and finesse guys and a strong system.

KH says the prices at the deadline to high.. The prices at FA is too high.  Evidently prices are always just to high to I’ll gaps.  Meanwhile we let league leading point producing dmen go play in KHL vs. Flipping then when they had value.  Remember why we kept a struggling Emmerton up at first?  KH was confident wed lose him on waivers.  Now he’s a career AHLer.  We don’t move while prospects have value and can get return for fear they’ll do better somewhere else.  Meanwhile we never address the departures of 3 of our top 4 year after year and the excuse was ” no one could file their shoes anyways.  Meanwhile our PP struggles year after year along with our transition game and the hope is one day guys will ” just get it”... Its unreal the logic.  Meanwhile everyone whose cut their teeth in Detroit have played their game MUCH differently.  You think they learned to do that from Holland or what not to do.?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/14 at 03:47 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

As I mentioned in previous posts, Quincy was a possible option. Either way the writer described the Red Wings situation perfectly. Sometimes the signings you don’t or fail to make turn out the best ones. If this team can stay healthy, they will finish in the top 4 teams in the Eastern Conference. “IF”.

Posted by bigfrog on 07/03/14 at 03:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

After five years of treading water, no I’m not excited, but I will always be a fan. I’ll keep my GCL and watch as many games as I can stomach possible.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/14 at 03:51 PM ET

CDP
Agree. I’ll be a fan. But I’m not going to support intentional mediocracy. Holland has a great opportunity to force himself to bring someone up who was ready during the playoffs last year (Ouellet). Instead, we have Quincy and Kindl and will most likely have Cleary back. Poor attempt to improve, continued blockade of supposedly high quality prospects. For Cleary. For Kindl. For Lashoff. For Abdelkader, who should probably be another guy beat out by Jurco and maybe Mantha. For Glendening. He may be a great guy, but his spot could probably be filled by someone who gives the team a better chance to win. Like Eaves, who had SOME ability to produce points.(I could be wrong there, but hard to look up corsi on the phone)

Posted by teldar on 07/03/14 at 04:06 PM ET

Williams, Carter, Richards, Gaborik, Stoll, Penner, Gagne, Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene, Regehr. The Kings didn’t draft any of those players. Just saying.

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 07/03/14 at 04:06 PM ET

Posted by teldar on 07/03/14 at 04:06 PM ET

The nice thing about Glendening is that he’s a good shutdown center. Having a guy on the fourth line who can make life miserable for the Crosbys and Stamkoses of the league and play hard PK minutes is a good thing. In theory, it frees up your best forwards - so, while Glendening might not put up points, you might get more production from your big guns.

I agree with what you’re saying, though.

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 07/03/14 at 04:16 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Meh, still don’t know if Alfie will resign with the Wings and not excited to watch Andersson and Glendening play all season.
If Kenny’s intention is to definitely have Pukkinen and Mantha play in the NHL next season then I guess I can live with his usual summer of not earning his salary and having his scouts do all his work.
I always liked Quincey even though he can play pretty sloppy sometimes at least he plays with some toughness unlike most of our team especially with Bert gone.
Still wish this team would sign someone tougher than Abdelkader to keep the flies off our top players. Sick of watching this team so injury riddled season after season.
Ouellet and maybe Marchenko could easily take the place off Kindl and Lashoff next season or Sproul maybe if he’s ready.
Since Kenny seems to like bringing the Michigan boys home ( Rafalski, Modano, Porter) then why not sign David Booth?

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 07/03/14 at 04:20 PM ET

The 800 LB gorilla in the room is Uwe Kru..  Steve Weiss. The Weiss disaster has made fans more disappointed with Kenny’s signings ( or lack thereof).  Quincy signing -and for more money-was the straw that broke the camels back for me and many others.

Posted by Bay Area Wings fan on 07/03/14 at 04:41 PM ET

Typical article from the fanboy media.  If the Wings had any intention of playing the younger players and building for the future they would have told Cleary to kiss off, Quincey to kiss off and told Alfie, thanks but nice knowing you.  I would have gotten rid of Miller, and Andersson and got rid of Kindl and Lashoff as well to promote the Callahan’s and Ferraro’s along with Marchenko and either Sproul or Ouellet.  If that was done I’d be all for it, but Holland is content to wallow in mediocrity and slide into the playoffs to get knocked out in 5 games again.  Seriously, does that excite a fan base?  This team is not any better than the team that lost to Boston in 5.

Posted by bababooey on 07/03/14 at 04:43 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Agreed baba… I am waiting for someone to start asking some hard questions, the first one being talking with the Ilitch family and ask them about Holland’s contract.

No talk on that topic and that should be the starting point.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/03/14 at 04:46 PM ET

Exactly, baba and Paul. This should be about a rebuild, not wallowing. Right now, the team is just wallowing. If there were some priming and some new growth, that’s one thing. Just resigning the same team that didn’t do anything great last year? Hmm…

Don’t Toews, is Glendening a great shut down guy? I really don’t know what the stats say.  His +/- was pretty bad I think, but that may have been mitigated by competition level. It’s just to hard to look up a lot of stuff from a phone, or I would check out what sort of corsi vs good opponents he had.

Posted by teldar on 07/03/14 at 04:55 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I have local SoCal sports talk on while working. It’s ground hog day. Substitute Lakers for Red Wings. Mighty Lakers can’t attract FA’s who are signing for less to go elsewhere. Blaming Buss Family (owners), Kupchak (GM) and Kobe.

Paul, question 1a to the Ilitches should be is it time for Babcock to go.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/14 at 05:01 PM ET

The article is just BS, prior to July 1st you were on the bandwagon like the rest of us.  Then object was to get one good right handed defenseman, filling in the rest of the vacancies with the rookies.  Not one of our UFA were sign, and no one should be surprised, not sure but I doubt if any received an offer.  Essentially we have what happened last year, the UFA not signed last year came crawling back, like Cleary.  This year it’s Quincey.  Holland made three mistakes, signing, giving a raise and longer term than one year.  3 strikes and you are out.  Both He and Babcock should go, the sooner the better.  This year is going to be a carbon copy, injuries, no stinking power play, bad goaltending, no rookie ice time.  NO WONDER THE MULE IS SO DEPRESSED AND DOESN"T WANT TO PLAY FOR BABCOCK.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 07/03/14 at 05:09 PM ET

Paul, that’s on point. In New York, you get guys like Larry Brooks (for better or worse) but at least the guy will break some balls.

In Detroit, the Freep/News/MLive/radio and TV stations won’t ever make these guys answer difficult questions. I will say that Matt Dery at least asks Holland tougher questions when he has him on - and I respect Holland for answering those questions and continuing to agree to talk with Dery (especially since 105.1 doesn’t have the broadcast rights to Wings games).

Why hasn’t anyone asked for an interview with the Ilitch family (Chris) to find out? I brought this up a few weeks ago, before free agency: why go into the free agency period without a contract for your GM or head coach beyond next year? Like, if you’re one of these guys looking for a long-term deal, there has to be some level of doubt there, even if it’s limited. Let’s say the team struggles this season and misses the playoffs. Ownership actually decides to move on from these guys. New GM comes in and wants to start over, sell off assets. In 2016-2017 you’re Matt Niskanen and you’re playing in Vancouver or somewhere because you got traded.

Before free agency, I was sure Babcock and Holland would remain here at least three more years. After what has been perceived as a massive failure, I wonder if Ken Holland has had enough of Holland’s inability to get him the tools he’s been begging for for a long time. Unless there’s a trade for a RH d-man with offensive game soon, I don’t give Babcock more than 50-50 odds of returning. Again, a failed season could mean Chris Ilitch (who I heard told Ken Holland during the 2013-14 season that he better make the playoffs) may not have the same loyalty as pops.

I think the next nine months are going to be definitive in the direction of the franchise. They’ve got to figure out what the plan is. They cannot let Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall rot away while they wait for the next group to take jobs and get established at the NHL level. And I can say in all honesty that a failure to make the playoffs could put Ken Holland’s job in serious jeopardy.

Or, the Ilitchs could sign him to a 3-5 year extension next week. But something smells here. There’s no reason to let this play out this way unless there’s something going on that we don’t know. I don’t buy the “we just haven’t gotten around to it yet” argument that’s been tossed around. If the Wings organization knows Holland’s the guy, they don’t drag this on - they get the deal signed. If they know Babcock’s the guy, they get him done too.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/03/14 at 05:13 PM ET

I wonder if Mike Babcock has had enough of Holland’s inability to get him the tools he’s been begging for for a long time.

Sorry, made a mistake in the last one.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/03/14 at 05:16 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Remember Demers. Wouldn’t mind seeing Gerard Gallant someday bench boss The Red Wings. Both well liked and respected. Gallant just got the Panthers head coach job and will probably at least get them into the playoffs.
After watching Nill and Yzerman GM decisions last few seasons (Seguin trade by Nill wow) Kenny needs to fleece another team in trade to impress this fan.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 07/03/14 at 05:17 PM ET

Please. I liked Gallant as a player but he couldn’t hold Babbles jock when it comes to coaching. Name 3 players who you’ve actually heard say that they “like” and “respect” Gallant. People in the Panthers organization are obviously going to say what a solid hire he was…THEY hired him. I’ve heard a player rave about Gallant once.

AT LEAST get them into the playoffs?! If they don’t finish last or second to last in the Atlantic then he should get an Adams nomination.

Posted by godblender on 07/03/14 at 05:41 PM ET

I’m tired of the bitching about Babcock. That guy is the best coach out there.

It’s obvious when the team made the playoffs last year despite the ravaged roster (and even despite some wrong moves by Babcock himself). The most obvious singular example was the absolute clinic he gave to Bruce Boudreau (who many think is a very good coach) in Game 7 in the 2013 playoffs. On the road.

This team has a hump to get over. Is the hump ascended by free agent signings, trades, or development of the youth? All of the above? It remains to be seen. But I think it’ll happen.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/03/14 at 05:53 PM ET

perfection's avatar

The truth is the Red Wings aren’t a great free agency destination right now for veterans looking to win a Stanley Cup this season, or even next. They aren’t one of the most powerful teams in the league.

ding ding ding… that my friends is TRUTH. the rest is people being overdramatic.

and all this talk about “Wallowing in mediocrity” (despite that the team has been self-admittedly rebuilding on the fly) with calls to play ONLY kids is hilarious. You all haven’t seen enough Oilers games the last few years.

See, making these kids take jobs from grizzled MEN with families to support is the final stage of development in Detroit. You may not like it from a fan’s perspective because it involves some patience occasionally, but that whole “tie goes to the vet” thing is as much about showing the kids “professionalism” by example and making them truly earn their spot as it is about maintaining our image as a class org who respects its veterans (what I’m sure they were hoping would lure Boyle as it did Alfie and Modano). But we simply ARE NOT in a cup window right now. We are rebuilding and we are doing it while maintaining a streak that I think is probably pretty important for the Illitch’s from a bottom line perspective. This is a relatively small market team spending to the brim every season and I think trying to make the playoffs, knowing they probably won’t win the cup, is part of Holland’s job.

He is going nowhere. As long as that streak is maintained, KH, whether you guys like it or not, will be invited back every year as long as he wants. If we suddenly get worse or he horrendously blows our next cup window in 2-3 years (by lets say trading away a future star for an average #2 dman), then maybe his job will be in question. But you actually think they are going to fire one of the most respected GM’s in the league because 3 or 4 guys chose other teams? Please

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/03/14 at 05:59 PM ET

perfection's avatar

oh and people pointing to the Kings’ trades as proof that any activity is good activity… you’re ignoring WHEN they made those trades. When our current kids are entering their primes and our current stars are in their golden years in a few seasons, we may genuinely be in position where 1 or 2 guys could push us over the edge and its then that you make the kind of trades the Kings did the past few years. Now’s not the time. I think those of you who watched every game the last couple years probably know that deep down. I mean, I think anyone who knows hockey outside of the MOST over-emotional fans understands the basic cycle of rebuilding. The fact that we are attempting to do this AGAIN without tanking is a testament to the management

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/03/14 at 06:04 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Thought that’s why we overripe our prospects.. So they come in ready?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/14 at 06:10 PM ET

The signing of KQ with a raise tells me management has no confidence in the Dmen in GR to be better than Kindl.  The not trading #6 and #7 Dmen for low draft picks, suggests management does not believe GR Dmen are the answer at this point in time.

Posted by guy on 07/03/14 at 07:00 PM ET

I don’t have a major issue with them re-signing Quincey…but don’t like the fact that they offered him a raise. It does not signal that the GR kids are not ready…on the contrary, they need stable vets like Q to help out these young guys if they come up.

For me, it is obvious that Kindl will never get out of Babcock’s dog house and needs to be traded, for his sake as well as that of the organization. Likewise, Lashoff will shortly be overtaken by the GR kids and I would not be surprised to see at least one of them make it full-time while others get to play a significant number of games.

It does nothing to address the PP problems though….but Babs will never make it work for the D, unless he is willing to commit to Smith and others getting more PP time, while they develop into more offensive roles. I believe Smith, for one, is capable, so why not give him a genuine opportunity.

Posted by NewfieWing on 07/03/14 at 07:57 PM ET

Teldar.

SYF.

endless whining

Hockeytown Overhaul.

I’ll keep my GCL and watch as many games as I can stomach possible.

Captain Dennis Polonich.

bababooey.

Paul.

jhpcarrier97.

Paul, that’s on point.

VitoLambruski.

Just put those names somewhere in the back of your minds, so if and when the Wings are doing rather better next year (likely due to health), you can reliably count on most if not all of those people being incredibly, ah, ‘forgetful’ about how they chose to overreact now.

Thought that’s why we overripe our prospects.. So they come in ready?

HO again.  That guys a veritable treasure trove of silly, sometimes.

Standings, LA Kings:

2002-3: missed playoffs
2003-4: missed playoffs
2004-5: missed playoffs
2005-6: missed playoffs
2006-7: missed playoffs
2007-8: missed playoffs
2008-9: missed playoffs
2009-10: lost in first round.
2010-11: lost in first round.
2011-12: won championship!  Yay!
2012-13: lost in round 3
2013-14: won championship!  Yay!

In other words… context, goofballs.  Yeah, wow, a team that sucked for 35ish of the first 41 years of their existence pulled it together and has now run three good years in a row.  That’s great.  Now granted, they got their lead dman with a #2 overall and their leading playoff scorer with the #11, but they’ve done a good job taking advantage of their youth to build a very good roster.

If the goal is just throwing three or four (or even 5) good years together , and then you can suck indefinitely, the strategy and tactics are different than when the notion is to be consistently good over the long haul… you know, like running up playoffs streaks of 23 years.

The funny thing is, the people lauding the GMs of other clubs who have “built” (aka, sucked long enough to roll up high picks and great young players) would light Ken Holland and Mike Illtch and anyone from the front office they could identify ON FIRE if the Wings went that route.

But… yeah, let’s compare what the Wings do to what other clubs do who haven’t done it even remotely as long.  Smart.  They have to make the playoffs every year and remain consistently in the elite tier of NHL teams and make sure to play all their kids enough and, and, and….

Wings fans.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/03/14 at 08:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Yes, I am, as always, excited. Doesn’t take much at my age. Hell, I’m excited to wake up every day. wink

Drop the puck!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/03/14 at 09:08 PM ET

Haven’t looked at the numbers, TBH. I wouldn’t expect his possesson numbers to be especially good. Mainly I think back to one of those games against the Pens and one against the Bolts. His assignments were Crosby and Stamkos, respectively, and he kept them quiet while also playing with a bit of an edge. But, yeah - ideally, our 4C is really good with the puck on his stick.

My point was that drafting can only get you so far. I do think the Wings have been in a sort of rebuild since roundabout ‘09, wisely building up a legitimate stable of promising young talent. But I also think it’s a little circular, this notion that we’re not in a position to trade for a key piece or two. Like…we shouldn’t be considering any big acquisitions because we’re not close enough to being a real contender…but one could argue that a big acquisition or two could turn us into a real contender. The East is pretty wide open. The Rangers aren’t much better than us. The Canadiens aren’t much better than us. The Penguins aren’t much better than us.

We have a number of good, young assets. We need, at most, three high-end pieces (two top-four defensemen and one top-six forward). Those pieces would complement our existing core of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, giving us, in theory, about as good a chance as any Eastern team not named the Bruins. What if Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall didn’t have to carry the team? (I like the young guns that emerged this season, but let’s not kid ourselves - the captains are still driving this bus.) What if we tried to make the most of what little time we have left with Datsyuk?

I don’t think we’re far off from being a real threat in the East. A few shrewd moves and we’re right there. Hell, what did Jason Garrison go for, a pick? For a quality defenseman who could’ve helped our power play? I would’ve done that.

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 07/03/14 at 09:19 PM ET

damndog's avatar

Most people here know that I am not that high on Holland, but It isn’t as bad as it seems right now.

Like I said this morning. Quincey is a second half player. He starts off slow and finishes well. I think this Wings team where it stands now is a good team. If healthy they will make the playoffs. But I think they will get bounced very quickly once again.

I don’t think Holland has made this team a capable playoff team in a while and the biggest thing for me is the lack of grit. Look how physical the last four Cup winning teams were. Dominantly physical teams. That is Holland’s down fall. If we are okay with the Wings just making the playoffs, fine. Holland is great. But its been five years since we competed for a cup. I think the talent was there in those years except for a few missing pieces. We all know what we got for the missing pieces; broken pieces.

Holland has been semi- floundering for a while, IMHO. He has made inexcusable moves that left this team in turmoil at times. Dekeyser and Alfie are/were great signings. Weiss is still up in the air. Re-signing Quincey is not bad even though I don’t like the contract. I like they way George Malik put it, ” he doesn’t make your team worse, nor does he not make them better (not verbatim).”

Niskanen, Anton Stralman may not be that big of misses by Holland, time will tell, but we may have better players in GR.
Boyle, Erhoff would of been good. But you cannot make folks do what they don’t want to do. Not even for money.

For those of us older guys and gals that were lucky enough to enjoy the Olympia and live through the “dead things” days, we do not want to see us go backwards. Poor decision making can turn on a franchise quick. You only have to look at history in any sport to see that. The Wings are fortunate enough to have such a good system of drafting to support these poor decisions. This is where Holland and Co. has excelled.

I have no problems with people ranting. Its healthy and people have the right to rant. Things are expensive nowadays, besides people are not only emotionally invested in this team.

I for one, no matter what (well except if Cleary gets re-signed) am looking forward to the season. I’ve missed these guys two minutes after they were eliminated by Boston. At this point it would not bother me if Holland doesn’t make another move. Let the kids play. Man league or not. Lets see what they got! And if they succeed and do well this coming season and playoffs, those lousy Free Agents will be begging to come here. And guess what we will say! We do not need you!

Yes, excited for this team 40 years running.

Posted by damndog on 07/03/14 at 09:28 PM ET

Of course, those two or three pieces that might put us over the top don’t necessarily have to be acquisitions. Maybe Jurco breaks out. Maybe Weiss is good for 20+ goals. Maybe Mantha’s terrorizing the NHL by December. Maybe we have an Olli Maataa in, say, Marchenko. In theory, I think Kronwall-Marchenko could be a damn good top pairing. Maybe Smith puts it together and sees some power play action. Maybe Howard bounces back in a big way.

Posted by Dont Toews Me Bro on 07/03/14 at 09:34 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Dont Toews Me Bro

Best name.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/03/14 at 10:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Dont Toews Me Bro

Best name.

Ain’t it the truth? Me likey.  smile

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/03/14 at 10:50 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I’m always excited for the Wings.  I’ll have Center Ice.  I’ll watch all 82 regular season games, every post-season game, and all the pre-season games NHL Network will air.  I don’t care who is wearing the jersey that day (ok, that’s not true, but you know what I mean) I’m going to watch my team.

Hell, if NHL Network throws a rare Griffins game on, you’re damned sure my DVR is set for that one too!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 07/03/14 at 11:10 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

I have a hard time advocating for trading Tatar after watching his goals from the 13-14 season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q24e4LaKJp8

Just incredible, and, in my opinion, the tip of the iceberg. The goal sequence starting at :39” is beautiful and the last goal is awesome. Watching his goals and then Nyquist’s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwTo_P94MlU) gets me geeked for next year. One of the things that stuck out was the chemistry between Z and Gus, Sheahan and Tatar, and Mule and Gus. If Z and Pav stay healthy, Tatar takes a step forward (like he did after his father passed), Gus continues his development, and Sheahan and Jurco continue to improve, we’re going to have a nasty top six. I’m hopeful Weiss is on the road to a 50 point season.

With the continued development of Smith, a healthy E, and the development of X, Marchenko, or Backman, we’re in business. I think Backman is going to surprise (I’ve posted before about how Babs has already stated he’s going to play next year). Assuming he’s solid, I think we’ll see Backman and Marchenko in the bigs next year (probably not on the same pair - maybe split between E and Q), with X in the mix. Giving a d of Kronner-Smith, E-DDK, and Quincey-X/Backman/Marchenko, depending on how Kindl plays. I think Lashoff is seventh if all are healthy. All in all, not bad, assuming the young guys continue to improve. I would have liked to see Boyle as a Wing, but he can eat a d now that he chose the Rags.

Anyway, I’m pumped as hell for next season, and, if the Wings stay healthy, we have the potential to do some damage. Can’t wait for October.

Posted by PDXWing on 07/03/14 at 11:58 PM ET

Very true, but not all of them were free agent signings either.  Only Gagne, Scuderi and Mitchell, I believe.  The rest were picked up via trades.  The Kings have done a good job the past few years not overspending too much at the trade deadline and on July 1st.

Still a long way to emulate the Red Wings ability to stay competitive year after year, but they’re making progress towards that.  The culture is there now, it’s a matter of sticking with it.

Posted by Canucklehead from Ottawa, Ontario on 07/04/14 at 08:22 AM ET