The Malik Report
by George Malik on 09/12/12 at 07:52 PM ET
Updated 4x at 12:12 AM on Thursday: A little over an hour ago, okay, more like 90 minutes ago, Andy Strickland Tweeted the following...
But I'm not allowed to go on one tip, so I waited. The Free Press's Helene St. James posited the following Twitter reply...
The Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness suggests that things are...fluid...while speaking to On the Wings' Matt Saler...
And then St. James posited an article discussing the proximity of the two sides to a deal...
As a lockout looms and threatens to shut down the NHL, the Red Wings are negotiating two new contracts.
General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press Wednesday evening he is talking to unrestricted free agent defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo, a former first-round pick who had 19 points in 64 games last season with St. Louis.
The Wings have been looking to add a veteran defenseman after several attempts to land bigger fish fell short over the summer. They went hard after Ryan Suter on July 1 but lost him to Minnesota, offered Sami Salo a deal only to see him sign with Tampa Bay, and were told by Shea Weber's camp he wasn't going to leave Nashville for anyone but Philadelphia.
Colaiacovo, 29, has good puck skills, but he's been very injury prone, failing to play a full season each of the last seven years. He began his career in Toronto before joining the Blues in 2008-09.
While duly noting that it actually behooves Holland, who will rubber-stamp Gary Bettman and the Board of Governors' lockout plan on Thursday as he attends the BoG meetings in New York, NY, not too far from half his team's players NHLPA meetings...
To not sign Justin Abdelkader to that four-year contract extension just yet:
Abdelkader, 25, has been seeking longer term, similar to the four years Darren Helm got earlier in the summer. Abdelkader, a fourth-line center or third-line winger, is coming off a two-year, $1.575 million contract.
Even if he gets a new deal done soon, he may not have a place to play. He isn't sure he'll head to Europe unless the expected lockout goes on for months.
"When you go over there, you've got to insure your contract, too," he said. "You can't just go over there, and something happens. We'll see."
And that's why we won't see a ton of players go over to Europe, especially on the Wings' front, with perhaps the exception of the patriotically-leaning Pavel Datsyuk. Insurance is a big issue, and while Djurgardens IF is a big enough Allsvenskan team (used to play in the Eliteserien) that it might be able to insure Niklas Kronwall's deal, Timra IK, for example, can't insure Henrik Zetterberg's. Heck, at this rate, someone like Valtteri Filppula may have the most mobility and the most likelihood of landing with a team in Jokerit Helsinki, which has suggested that it may snag players ASAP.
But I don't anticipate many of the Wings' other players to head over to Europe unless this lockout goes past American Thanksgiving.
In the interim, I have a serious question: do you need a CBA wrap-up tonight, or should I just skip it?
Update: here you go, from Pleiness:
Update #2: Here's more from Pleiness:
The Wings search for a seventh NHL defenseman still has them focused one in particular – Carlo Colaiacovo. Wings general manager Ken Holland confirmed by text that they are still talking to Colaiacovo, 29, about possibly coming to Detroit, but that he’s not signed.
The Macomb Daily reported on Aug. 24 that the Wings had offered him a two-year deal worth $2.7 million a season.
The Wings, who are currently $13 million under the salary cap, are in need of a top four defenseman after losing Nicklas Lidstrom (retirement) and Brad Stuart (trade) this offseason.
They currently have six defensemen under contract — Niklas Kronwall, Ian White, Jonathan Ericsson, Kyle Quincey, Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl.
“We need to sign another defenseman or two,” Holland said in a recent phone interview. “There are some veteran defensemen out there looking for an opportunity. I’m having conversations.”
Colaiacovo, who reportedly is looking for a three-year deal and was originally offered a one-year deal by the Wings, hasn’t played more than 67 games in any season.
The Detroit Red Wings could be close to signing defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo to a two-year, $5 million contract.
General manager Ken Holland told M-Live.com that they're "still talking,'' but that he is not signed yet.
M-Live reported on Aug. 24 that the Red Wings had made a two-year, $5 million offer to the 29-year-old who played the past seasons with the St. Louis Blues.
Colaiacovo isn't the top-pair defenseman the Red Wings were seeking after losing Nicklas Lidstrom (retirement) and Brad Stuart (signed with San Jose), but he is one of the few viable options remaining in what was a weak free-agent market.
Colaiacovo (6-foot-1, 200) is a good skater and puck-mover with some offensive ability. He averaged 27 points a season with the Blues. He shoots left and can play the point on the power play. His biggest issue has been his health. He hasn't played more than 67 games in any season.
The Red Wings have been pursuing Colaiacovo since the start of free agency. They initially offered a one-year deal, but he was seeking three years. The sides apparently will compromise at two years.
Update #4: From the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan, there's this...
And a similarly-worded article:
The Wings and free agent defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo could come to a contract agreement before likely lockout of NHL players Saturday. General manager Ken Holland said Wednesday night the two sides continue to talk but nothing has been signed.
Reports out of St Louis, where Colaiacovo played last season, indicate it's a two-year contract worth $5 million.
Colaiacovo, 29, had two goals and 17 assists in 64 games with St. Louis last season, averaging 19 minutes of ice time per game.
Colaiacovo played the last four seasons with the Blues, and six before that in Toronto. At 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, Colaiacovo is an offensive defenseman who can move the puck and play the point on the power play.
With Colaiacovo, the Wings would have the seven defensemen they need — but not the top-pair defenseman they were looking for to replace Nicklas Lidstrom or Brad Stuart.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.