The Malik Report

Another Game, Another Injury- Landon Ferraro Recalled

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

Where is his stall going to be?  A bathroom stall?

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 03/17/14 at 01:18 PM ET

Always wanted see Ferraro get a chance. He has lots of speed but I don’t know much about the rest of his game. Will be interesting!!

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/17/14 at 01:24 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

That Campbell kid is 8 days away from getting called up…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/17/14 at 01:27 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

That Campbell kid is 8 days away from getting called up…

Posted by

Figaro

from Los Alamos, NM on 03/17/14 at 01:27 PM ET

LOL

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/17/14 at 01:37 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Mitch Callahan is out of waivers next year, putting up some great offensive numbers this season, and may be worth a look instead of Tootoo. It’s not like Tootoo got many minutes yesterday. I think Callahan could be pretty equally effective playing 5 fourth line minutes, if not more so, and more importantly, we have an opportunity to see what we have when it matters rather than judging him simply by a training camp.

I realize points matter here, but I just don’t see Tootoo helping us much. We’ve found unexpected upsides in a lot of these kids this year and I think giving Callahan a shot makes sense.

Losing Abby is bad news. We are slowly morphing into the Griffins. It’s really spooky. Hope to see Helmer back at least ASAP.

I don’t love our playoff chances this year. We were definitely SUPPOSED to lose yesterday… but we absolutely will not make the playoffs without winning several games we are SUPPOSED to lose.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/17/14 at 01:45 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Jeebus, another injury?  Where is my facepalm…...

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, fanning the flames, with rum..... on 03/17/14 at 01:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Abby may be able to play tomorrow night, will know more after morning skate tomorrow.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/17/14 at 01:56 PM ET

Startling realization of the day: Jordin Tootoo is currently the Red Wings’ fourth-highest-paid healthy forward.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 03/17/14 at 02:26 PM ET

Announcement:

Due to recent events Jeff Blashill as been recalled from Grand Rapids to head coach of the Detroit Red Wings.

—Blashill “well, all my players are here so there really wasn’t anyone left to coach in GR”
—Babcock “I’m going back to coach Team Canada. No point in hanging around hear anymore”

In related news, the Toledo Walleye have announced they are relocating and changing their name to the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Posted by AZWinger on 03/17/14 at 02:29 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

This happens every *#$%@& year.  If I were to make an argument in favor of a Wings’ fire sale, this is where I would start.  70% percent of our roster is fuching made of glass.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/17/14 at 02:39 PM ET

perfection's avatar

speaking of team canada…

we essentially lost our two best players to the Olympics. Obviously both were already dealing with their respective issues and who knows if they would have been aggravated anyway or if two weeks of rest was just what they needed?

losing your stars is essentially the worst case scenario and basically the biggest fear of letting NHL players play in the Olympics. I can say as a fan who’s living this worst case that it’s still totally worth it. You could just never manufacture that kind of intensity or attention with an NHL endorsed off-season World Championship. Some of these games, especially in the later rounds, are about as entertaining as hockey can get. All-star games where everyone is giving all they have with the entire world watching. it just doesn’t get any better. I for one hope the Olympics continue with the best players in the world as it should.

in the meantime, if it costs the Wings the playoffs this year, I will definitely be upset. But it’s still worth it in my book. Hell, maybe we’ll win the lottery pick and it’ll seem worth it to everyone.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/17/14 at 02:39 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

I’m all aboard the “our strength and conditioning regimen/staff needs to be better” train.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 03/17/14 at 02:54 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

MIght as well move on.  If the plan is not to re-sign Q, just release him and give Sproul/Almquist/Ouellett rotating looks.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/17/14 at 03:07 PM ET

we essentially lost our two best players to the Olympics

Zetterberg’s injury has nothing (or at least very little) to do with Olympics. His back has been troublesome for several years and the surgery was inevitable at some point anyway. And the “injury” did not even happen during the game.
Datsyuk, on the other hand, could have used another 2 weeks of resting his knee, but, of course, there was no way he was missing that Olympics even if his leg was broken. He basically said it himself that the last couple of games before the Olympics were just to make sure he is ready for the Olympics, so his priorities this season were clear.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/17/14 at 03:09 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

we essentially lost our two best players to the Olympics.

I think a better way to say it is that we essentially lost our two best players to play in the Olympics.

Zetterberg and Dats should’ve had procedures done early in the season, but both held out for the chance to play in the Olympics.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 03/17/14 at 03:15 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 03/17/14 at 01:18 PM ET

smile

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/17/14 at 03:21 PM ET

Crater's avatar

We are slowly morphing into the Griffins.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/17/14 at 01:45 PM ET

Hey, at least they went the distance last season.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 03/17/14 at 03:58 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick

And that’s exactly the problem with the Olympics. Players seem to feel more loyalty to the national team than they do to the business that pays their salaries.

I love both Pavel and Z, but they really hurt the Wings chances this year by delaying treatment of their injuries so they could at least try to play in the Olympics. It’s time for players to choose one or the other: national pride or a big fat paycheck.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/17/14 at 04:11 PM ET

perfection's avatar

while I agree in a sense and am obviously aware of the history of Z’s back trouble, the only thing we actually KNOW is that he was playing before the olympics and not after. if he hadn’t made the trip all the way to Russia and just rested for two weeks, might it have been enough to stave off surgery until summer? we will never know. but the fact remains we have neither of our stars for the playoff push after their involvement in the Olympics… whatever impact the games themselves had. And yes, Pav’s priority was definitely to captain his home country’s team, at the detriment of his health. He probably wouldn’t even have returned before the Olympics if he wasn’t going over there. But again, I’m ok with it. I think it’s well worth it. I loved watching Pav play over there. He was the highlight of the Russian team. He did his country and his fans proud. Just really sucks for the Wings now…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/17/14 at 04:11 PM ET

Totally agree.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 03/17/14 at 04:44 PM ET

Not really the ranking I ever want to see the Wings leading.

Just crippling.

Posted by SYF from Ball's Hill on 03/17/14 at 05:27 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Some fodder for the discussion….

Non-olympic year, do you think both would’ve pushed the issue, and/or held off on procedures to also play in the big house? I think so, Zetterberg came back right before the classic, Pavel stop playing after.

No olympics and the there would not have been a 2 week break, only an all-star, safe to say at least 1 of the 2 get picked, and suspended if they skipped.

Was part of the reason Pavel returned to the Wings because of the friendly employer employee environment that the Brass has where they didn’t question their star athletes? Not sure I would bite my tongue signing million dollar checks, but to each their own.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 03/17/14 at 05:30 PM ET

pav playing 2 games before and 2 games after the olympics seems like a PR move at this point. You dont go from play through it to rest 3 weeks in a 24 hour time span.

Posted by brians neck on 03/17/14 at 06:04 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Posted by brians neck on 03/17/14 at 06:04 PM ET

There’s such a thing as tweaking and/or worsening an injury.  That’s very likely what happened with Pav.  We all seem to think we have all the information on his injury but we don’t.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/17/14 at 06:35 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

“injuries and officiating”

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 03/17/14 at 08:59 PM ET