The Malik Report

An Optional Skate For The Wings Today

added 10:48am, Also from Pleiness,

Datsyuk also on ice with Weiss. Holland confirmed Datsyuk is out tonight. Still day to day.

added 11:02am,Pleiness again,

Gustavsson confirms he's starting.

added 11:12am, Mor from Pleiness,

Lashoff in for Smith on defense. Gustavsson starting. According to Babcock.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Pleiness tweet…

Datsyuk still hoping to get in one or two games before Olympics. If he doesn’t still hasn’t ruled out participating in them.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/03/14 at 11:25 AM ET

You’ve got to think that if Gustavsson has a strong game they will ride him up until the Olympic break given Howard’s complete inability to stop a beachball..

Posted by Robert on 02/03/14 at 12:08 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Robert on 02/03/14 at 12:08 PM ET

And some Wings fans complete inability to remember further back than one game.  tongue wink

Posted by SK77 on 02/03/14 at 12:11 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Lashoff in for Smith on defense. Gustavsson starting. According to Babcock.

Does Smith need another teaching moment?  Probably. Still, I’m a little dizzy on why they haven’t experimented with the idea of a teaching moment or two for Q

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/03/14 at 12:18 PM ET

And some Wings fans complete inability to remember further back than one game.

That’d be funnier if Howard hadn’t have been bad for the past three games.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/03/14 at 02:23 PM ET

SK77's avatar

And some Wings fans complete inability to remember further back than one game.

That’d be funnier if Howard hadn’t have been bad for the past three games.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/03/14 at 02:23 PM ET

I don’t think either goalie has been playing very well lately, but to suggest that they need to get Howard out of net ASAP because he can’t “stop a beachball” is a little off when you consider two games ago Howard got the win after giving up 3 goals on 29 shots and making it through 7 shootout rounds without giving up a goal (which deserves a plaque).

Before the two Washington games Gus gave up 5 goals on 28 shots to the Flyers (for the loss) and 5 goals on 37 shots to the Panthers (for the loss). Not exactly the hot hand either.

Posted by SK77 on 02/03/14 at 02:57 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Smith had one of his worst games I’ve ever seen yesterday.  He needs to sit and watch so he can start slowing the game down on the ice.  He was baaad.  I’m amazed and thankful babs hooked him.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/03/14 at 03:22 PM ET

Not exactly the hot hand either.

Maybe not the hot hand, but Howard’s game yesterday doesn’t exactly scream “keep riding him”, does it?

Besides Robert did say “if Gustavsson has a strong game”.

Posted by Garth on 02/03/14 at 04:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

how strong?

A 15-save shutout puts Gustavsson’s save percentage higher than Howard’s
or a 25/26 save gem
or a 35/37 stop output

Or if he allows 5 again, all he’ll have to do is stop 61 other attempts.

I’m not sure how strong a game it would have to be to play Gustavsson on Thursday. I don’t see it happening.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/03/14 at 05:04 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Besides Robert did say “if Gustavsson has a strong game”.

Posted by Garth on 02/03/14 at 04:48 PM ET

Nope, Howard was really asstacular yesterday after that first game against Washington in which I thought he was actually pretty good.

And you’re right in that I misread Robert’s bit about “if [he] has a strong game” but still stick to my “there is no hot hand” right now doom and gloom feeling. Gus definitely deserves to start any and all games before and after the Olympics if he’s playing better than Howard.

Posted by SK77 on 02/03/14 at 05:10 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Neither goaltender has played very well lately. Part of it has been due to turnovers by the defense. This team is too much up and down this season, mostly down it seems. I will be at tonight’s game against Vancouver. Need two points anyway the Red Wings can get them.

Posted by bigfrog on 02/03/14 at 05:44 PM ET