The Malik Report

All Pavel Datsyuk

from Dmitry Chesnokov of Puck Daddy,

We spoke with Datsyuk recently about his future, the Red Wings, his critics, his opponents and how his legacy has even carried over to the iPhone.

Q. The end of the season turned out quite interesting for you.

DATSYUK: “Of course! It was a great feeling to be staying with the Red Wings. The club really wanted to sign the extension. Our wishes were mutual, I really wanted to stay.”

Did the rumors about your alleged departure to the KHL that came up during the playoffs affect you?

“To be honest with you, I didn’t even listen to them. Rumors and rumors. There are always more than enough of them.”

Detroit is quite a young team at the moment, and a lot of people thought that last season you went much further than you should have. Is it a fair assessment?

“Actually this is not quite accurate. Yes, we really do have a young team. And it is true that it was difficult for us to play against higher seeded teams, those that were above us in the standings. But we had a very good chance. And in my opinion our young players showed themselves to be very capable.”

read on

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

squirrely's avatar

Henrik Zetterberg was named team captain this season. How did he transition to being the captain?
“How? He cut out the letter “C” and stitched it on to his jersey, that’s how.”

Typical Pavel, snarky reply nobody usually catches cause they can’t understand him.  I love that guy!

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 07/16/13 at 11:15 AM ET

Did you hear about a comment one Canadian expert made that Datsyuk may not be naturally gifted, but is a hard worker?
“Of course I did. And I share that opinion. The more I work and practice, the more talented I get.”

I think that should be on the walls of every hockey arena in the State of Michigan.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/16/13 at 12:31 PM ET

And just reading the whole interview, I found myself genuinely laughing my ass off.  What a humble, humble guy.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/16/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I am always amazed by his humility. I am so happy Datsyuk is on OUR Team!

Best. Player. Ever.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/16/13 at 12:40 PM ET

I am always amazed by his humility.

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/16/13 at 12:40 PM ET

I’d put Dangles up there with The Great Satchemo and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/16/13 at 12:49 PM ET

What is it like to be a veteran?

“I will let you know what it’s like when I become one. I consider myself to be quite experienced, not old. Maybe my passport says I am 35, but on the ice you get punched in the face for some reason. We do not get old at heart.”

That’s Gold, Jerry. GOLD!

Posted by mc keeper on 07/16/13 at 02:45 PM ET