The Malik Report

Alfredsson/Cleary number clarification

As Paul noted, this morning, it was stated that Daniel Alfredsson will keep #11 in no small part because he's already in Winter Classic and merchandise catalogs. I received a different answer regarding Alfredsson possibly switching to #24 and Daniel Cleary dropping #71 for his familiar #11 again:

So Cleary will remain #71 for the preaseason, and Alfredsson will remain #11 for the preaseason...

Update: NEVER MIND...

Update #2:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Da lil Guy's avatar

You’re playing with my mind, George.

I’ve been hearing mixed reaction from Senators fans - some say they like the idea of Alfie’s #11 being an Ottawa thing, but others say Cleary should let Alfredsson have the number he’s worn for his entire NHL career.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 09/14/13 at 03:30 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I would like to think he chose to get #71, so Alfredson doenst use #24, which I believe would be a big no no inside the locker room?

I mean, come on, Pavel will probably still use #24 on the pre season, he already used it this year…

I kinda wish that’s the reason, but Im stupid like that, so who knows?

Posted by Zqto on 09/14/13 at 03:30 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Well now it’s as clear as mud. See the update.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/14/13 at 03:36 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

And Pavel used #24 when Ruslan Salei passed away—for the preseason—to honor his memory.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/14/13 at 03:36 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

I know the reasoning for the number, George, but I’m pretty sure I saw a pic of him wearing a #24 wings jersey a few days ago
Not 100% sure, though

Posted by Zqto on 09/14/13 at 03:44 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

That was a Tweet. Datsyuk is wearing #13. Or he was today.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/14/13 at 03:53 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Daniel Cleary confirmed he will wear #71 this season; Alfie will stick with #11

Well, that’s certainly cause a lot of confusion about which number to hang in the rafters when Buckets retires.  rolleyes

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/14/13 at 03:54 PM ET

They can just retire both.

Posted by Garth on 09/14/13 at 11:28 PM ET

They can just retire both.

Posted by Garth on 09/14/13 at 11:28 PM ET

Not if the Denver Dives beat the Wings to it.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 09/15/13 at 03:06 AM ET