The Malik Report
by George Malik on 04/22/13 at 02:25 AM ET
When you meet volunteers assisting charitable endeavors on the concourse at Joe Louis Arena, it's highly likely that they're members of the Red Wings' "For 'em Club," and my friend Courtney wants you to know about the hardest-working Wings fans you don't know too much about:
While the For 'em Club had its beginnings as a group of fans in 1949, it has grown into an army of 50-75 volunteers working at every Red Wings home game. We assist the organization's staff with everything from greeting fans with programs, fan handouts, pizza toss, the Kids Club table and other fan-based events during the season. At our booth (located near sections 116-117 on the concourse), we sell raffle tickets for fans to have a chance to win a pair of Red Wings season tickets. All proceeds raised from the raffle tickets benefit Gilda's Club, a local support center for those affected by cancer. The new booth design has been in the works since January, but the short season has greatly affected our potential donations to Gilda's Club.
Outside from working games, the For 'em Club is a friendly collective of Red Wings fans who regularly meet for social events such as picnics, pizza parties, bowling and road trips to other games (Griffins and Wings).
Here's their official membership hand-out in brought-to-life online form:
We are the Red Wing For ‘em Club, the official fan club of the Detroit Red Wings. We have been in existence since 1949, and are a charter member of the National Hockey League Booster Clubs, Inc. The purpose of the Club is to stimulate and promote, in all ways, a greater interest in the sport of hockey.
We offer both Active and Associate memberships in our club. To qualify for active membership, you must be at least 18 years of age and live within a 50 mile radius of Detroit (Detroit/Windsor Tunnel). An associate member must be at least 18 years of age and live beyond a 50-mile radius of Detroit.
Both memberships are entitled to the many benefits of the Club as follows:
• Social Events: Annual Picnic, Bowling Party, Card Party, Camping Weekend, Hayride & Bonfire, Chili Cook-Off, Tiger games and other events.
• Trips: Road trips to NHL and AHL cities throughout the season. A chance to see a Red Wings away game and to meet members of other NHL Booster Clubs in their city.
• NHL Booster Clubs Convention: A chance to attend the annual booster convention in one of the league cities (a different city each year). This is a wonderful opportunity to meet members of the other Booster Clubs in the league. An exciting weekend of fun with people who share the same thing in common – HOCKEY!
• Charities: Gilda’s Club and Turning Point
• Fanfare: Monthly Club Newsletter – wide variety of articles (events, press releases, news of other booster club’s activities, etc.).
Join the Fun! Be a For ‘em Club Member!
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.