The Malik Report

A little late-breaking: University of Michigan’s been asked about hosting Winter Classic

Welll isn’t this interesting in the Red Wings-related news category, via AnnArbor.com’s Pete Cunningham:

The next outdoor hockey game at Michigan Stadium may feature National Hockey League teams.

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon confirmed Thursday that he has been approached by the NHL about playing host for the Winter Classic, in what would be the league’s sixth annual New Year’s Day outdoor game.

“We have been approached by the NHL about utilizing our facility for the 2013 Winter Classic,” Brandon said in a statement. “There are a lot of complex circumstances that need to be ironed out before anything moves forward. We will have more to say if/when something materializes.”

The NHL has yet to announce which teams would play in next year’s Winter Classic, but the fact that Brandon has been approached suggests rumors about the Detroit Red Wings being eyed as potential participants to be true. The Red Wings played against the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2009 Winter Classic played at Wrigley Field.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has delayed his announcement of participants in the past. He didn’t name the Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers as the 2012 participants until Sept. 25, 2011.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

NOW, I can’t wait for this to happen.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/05/12 at 10:34 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Makes sense. No point in going further in having Detroit as the host of the 2013 game if the Big House won’t be available, unless they decide to use Comerica. Either way, this is a venue that it makes sense to determine the availability early.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 01/05/12 at 10:52 PM ET

Make it happen.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/05/12 at 11:14 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

I, for one, could really do with them announcing this one early, just so I can save up for flights and tickets and what-have-you.

Anyone know what Winter Classic ticket prices have been over the last few years?

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 01/05/12 at 11:19 PM ET

Posted by jimathor from Southampton, UK. on 01/05/12 at 08:19 PM ET

I suspect upwards of US$50 and more and that would be in the upper part of the stadium.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/05/12 at 11:53 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

And keep in mind that the NHL buys the host team out of one game’s worth of ticket revenues—whatever that might be—and pockets all the $$ involved in terms of selling those $500-700 seats. To some extent, hosting a Winter Classic is like bringing a casino to town: it’s great for moneymaking, except that all the money stays within the “house.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/06/12 at 12:07 AM ET

jimathor's avatar

So, I guess if I put 200 aside I should get a tidy-ish seat. Wow. This is easily going to be £1000+ trip. Totally worth it (hell, even if Detroit doesn’t get next years Winter Classic, after nearly ten years of being a Wings fan, I think it’s time I made a pilgrimage to the Joe).

Meanwhile, George, I had no idea that’s how the system worked, wow. What about concessions/merchandise etc? Does the team take anything away from that? I guess it’s all down to tv rights etc.

That photo has just made me weak at the knees. What a phenomenal thing to see.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 01/06/12 at 01:11 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I believe that the Wings get their usual cut of merchandise sales, but concessions, parking, that kind of stuff…I’d imagine that goes to the venue hosting the event (thus the desire to keep things at Comerica, the whole, “We do things in Detroit” Ilitch mentality included).

Obviously, all the intangibles go to the team that sees the huge up-tick in merch sales and maybe increased demand for tickets for other games, better rates for advertising and sponsorships in general, etc. (how much would Belle Tire or Amway be willing to drop to squeeze their way onto the “Bridgestone Winter Classic” billboard?) go to the Wings, but it’s a strange marriage as the ticket sales are gigantic, and they go to the NHL.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/06/12 at 01:31 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

@George - So if I’m understanding this correctly…

If hosted at the Big House, the NHL would essentially collect 110,000 fans worth of ticket revenue, refund the Wings 20,000 fans worth of revenue, and keep 80,000 fans worth of revenue?

Damn it, Bettman.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 01/06/12 at 02:53 AM ET

If its going to be Toronto/Detroit—there will easily be 100,000 fans show up.  Every hard core Leafs fan I know is drooling at the chance to attend this.

Posted by jd from Toronto on 01/06/12 at 12:13 PM ET

Wings leafs for sure not black hawks

Posted by Shbp on 01/06/12 at 01:15 PM ET

Posted by jd from Toronto on 01/06/12 at 09:13 AM ET

Good to know.  The louder the Leafs fans want in on this event, MAYBE, Gary.Ass will listen.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/06/12 at 03:58 PM ET