The Malik Report

A ‘Commodore 64’ update: charitable pressure’s on the Red Wings defenseman’s numerical choice

Red Wings fans have attempted to start up various campaigns asking new Red Wings defenseman Mike Commodore to wear #64 to honor one of the late 1980’s most ubiquitous computers, and Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski gave all Wings fans a big assist by asking Commodore whether he’s interested in doing so, in part to raise money for charity, and here’s an update from Wyshynski:

On Thursday, we gave the COMMODORE 64 movement a stiff push with four reasons why this needed to happen, including a charitable one: Puck Daddy will donate $64 to Mike Commodore’s favorite charity should he wear No. 64 next season with the Wings.

We offered you guys a chance to match that pledge as a show of support for the number change. After less than 24 hours, we have 54 readers willing to ante up if Commodore wears No. 64 with the Wings. That’s $3,456 currently committed to the charity of Mike’s choice (assuming everyone follows through with the pledge and that charity of his choice is OK with those donating).

Again, if you’re interested, drop us a line at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). We’ll keep the emails on file, hit you back when he makes a decision.

About that decision: Commodore emailed us on Thursday to let us know a few things: His Twitter account was “blowing up” because of the campaign; he needs to talk to the Wings about the number, seeing as how he’s only spoken to Mike Babcock and Ken Holland so far and we doubt pop culture references to obsolete computers came up; and that he admitted “now there is pressure” on him to follow through.

So mission accomplished so far, friends. Keep the donations coming!

Very cool!

You can always send Commodore an encouraging Twitter update as well.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

This needs to happen, I think I will donate to help.

Posted by Devils In The Details on 07/08/11 at 12:22 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I sure hope the guys at Puck Daddy remember this the next time they choose to personally slander the character of Wings fans.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/08/11 at 12:55 PM ET

David Lee's avatar

Bezukov, shouldn’t you wait until those donations have actually been secured?  I mean, it might make matters worse if only a few of them actually follow through on their promises.
I’m not suggesting that they won’t follow through because they’re Wings fans.  It’s just something that happens in the world of charity.  People renege on promises to make charitable donations all the time.
We can probably also assume that some of the folks who have made the promise aren’t even Wings fans.

Posted by David Lee from Greensboro, NC on 07/08/11 at 01:23 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

I hope you realize that a lot of this is being done by Commodore 64 fans!

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 07/08/11 at 01:40 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Point taken fellas.  I guess my comments are stemming from the fact that those guys said some pretty nasty things about the Wings, their city, and their fans after the playoffs, under the pretense of a joke.  Its just annoying to see them acting so cozy now that they have something Red Wings (albeit not entirely) related to run with.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/08/11 at 06:35 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

^But at least its for a good cause!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/08/11 at 06:37 PM ET