The Malik Report

A Commodore 64 update and a little dissent

As noted on Saturday, the Red Wings and equipment manager Paul Boyer are completely fine with new defenseman Mike Commodore, a.k.a. @commie22 on Twitter, may wear the number 64 in tribute to the late 80’s computing…erm, kind-of-sort-of-decent machine…if he wishes. Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski has been championing the idea via a charitable drive, and he offers a superb update this morning:

Along with our request for a “COMMODORE 64” jersey came a plea: We’d donate $64 to the charity of Mike’s choosing if he wore that sweater with the Wings next season. We mentioned the possibility of Puck Daddy readers matching that pledge, and it’s been an honor to witness the response.

We’re happy to report that the campaign has $6,656 currently pledged. If you’re interested into making a pledge of your own and haven’t yet, email us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

(We’d also like to thank the Detroit News and others for giving this story some spotlight. And yes, thanks to The Chief at Abel To Yzerman for his coverage too, the myopic dissent that it was.)

Yeah, about that…

I’m not gonna go all Ryan Lambert on you (quite the rant from him today about how much he hates A2Y and how awful Bill is and all of that stuff), but I have to admit the truth as I see it:

The Red Wings are a team which allows its players to wear high numbers. Valtteri Filppula asked for and got #51 just because he wanted it. Johan Franzen swapped #39 for #93 when Dominik Hasek came to town. Even when Scotty Bowman was coaching the team—and the old-school guys tend to believe that you have to “earn” a number higher than 20—he allowed Tomas Holmstrom to wear #96.

It’s my dissenting opinion that does not matter one lick if Mike Commodore chooses to wear #64. He won’t be a “gimmick” and he won’t be expected to perform any better or any worse than he is already because of the number he wears on his back. The Red Wings are about what you do to help the team whose crest you wear, and if he wants to be Commodore 64 or Commodore 69 or if the Wings allowed a “Commodore 128” or “256” (there’s a computer joke in there), it would have nothing to do with the way the team values him as a player.

Commodore is a #6/7 defenseman who will have to fight for ice time and battle Jakub Kindl for a spot on the roster. What he wears on his back will have no impact on whether he wins a spot. Whether he can shake his reputation as something of a loose cannon and whether he can get his career back on track…Won’t be determined by the number he wears.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I don’t think your opinion is “dissenting”.  I think it’s what most reasonable people think.  If he decides to wear it?  Cool.  If he decides not to wear it, maybe go back to 22?  Fine by me.

I don’t get the vitriol against it.  I mean, unless it’s strictly and anti-Wyshynski thing.  If that’s the case, then please Commie, wear any number BUT 64.

But if it’s not, then I don’t get it.  Who gives a shit?  It’s just a number.  The story will go away by the end of the pre-season and then it’ll only be brought up when he scores his two goals on the season or as a joke about “This is Commodore’s 3rd straight healthy scratch, I wonder if he finished Maniac Mansion yet.”

Posted by Garth on 07/11/11 at 02:09 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I aLol’d

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/11/11 at 02:27 PM ET

As someone who owned season tickets for the Wings from 1978-1984 (I moved out of the area then), I have to laugh whenever someone talks about tradition.  I love the Wings and always will, but the mid-70’s through the mid 80’s were not the finest.  I know that every organization goes through periods like this, but please don’t try to act like your team has always been perfect.  You sound too much like an OSU fan when you do that.

Posted by BK on 07/11/11 at 02:28 PM ET

Good for you for standing up, George.  There is absolutely no harm in it.  And I agree with Lambert for a change: it is “the worst hockey blog on the internet.”  KK should take it down now that it has you.

Posted by jkm2011 on 07/11/11 at 02:29 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Count me among those who thinks whatever Commodore decides is dandy fine.  But I do not like Mr. “Puck Daddy” at all so it would give me a bit of a chuckle if Commie said, “Thanks, but no thanks.”

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/11/11 at 02:29 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by BK on 07/11/11 at 12:28 PM ET

That’s one of the stranger posts on here in quite some time, obviously you read a lot more into it than was actually written and intended.  At what point in the post did the writer even begin to indicate the The Franchise was perfect?

ROFL.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 07/11/11 at 02:56 PM ET

George, you too?

Not against wearing 64, but against wearing 64 because people told him so.

If it’s his choice, ok;

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/11/11 at 03:28 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Everybody who is either old enough to remember the “Darkness with Harkness” or who cares enough about Wings history to read up (as in my case) is aware that the franchise has seen its bad days.  But I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say that the franchise has been beyond reproach, or pretty d**m near it since the Illitch’s took over.

As for OSU fans, I’m an alum, and let me be the first Buckeye fan to tell you that I think its embarrassing how myopic we are as a whole.  Everyone in Columbus is upset over the feeding frenzy the media has had over the Tressel scandal.  I saw this plate of crow coming up on the menu at one point or another, too bad not too many others did.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/11 at 03:35 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

^d**n.  Jeezzus.  I can’t even spell four letter words correctly.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/11/11 at 03:36 PM ET

Wow I finallly read the abel to Yzerman post and really think someone ought to take the goal post out of his five hole….

I agree with George 100%: no matter what number a guy wears in Detroit, the only way you ever become a laughing stock as a Red Wing is if you fail to play superb, stanley cup winning hockey.

I really don’t see how on earth any number except “69” makes you a “laughing stock”.  Anyone who takes their number that damn seriously (for reasons other than suspicion or nostalgia) is really the guy we all should be laughing at.

Posted by Juice from LA on 07/11/11 at 05:57 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

As long as it’s what Commodore wants to do, I agree. If he’s doing it because he has to, that’s one thing, but if he wants to, cool by me.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/11/11 at 06:07 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t really care what number he wears, because half the time if he wears it it’ll likely be only in the press box.

Seriously…  it’s not that big of a deal.  Good for him for at least trying to go with something fun, and quite frankly I was shocked to learn there’s never been a Wing wearing a number in the 60’s anyways.

To be honest, the fact that Wysh is so infatuated with it though rubs me a bit the wrong way.  But that’s hardly Commodore’s fault isn’t it?

Posted by Primis on 07/12/11 at 12:48 AM ET

Good Point George. I was thinking back to the day he signed, and you had the suggestion on your facebook posting. I thought it was awesome and tweeted it, another blogger, Cassie McClellan of chicks who give a puck then told me that commie had already tweeted about it @commie22, so I guess I just assumed that he was on board before the charity thing came up.

Posted by Juice from LA on 07/12/11 at 01:43 PM ET