The Malik Report
by George Malik on 08/30/11 at 11:00 AM ET
I’m about to take my laptop into the local computer repair shop to have what I can best describe as some serious engine work (save files, wipe the hard drive, reinstall Windows), so here’s a very brief look at today’s Red Wings-related stories:
• The Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness, the Free Press’s Helene St. James, the Detroit News’s Gregg Krupa, MLive’s Ansar Khan and the Windsor Star’s Dave Waddell all took in the Red Wings’ informal skate at City Sports Arena on Monday, mostly focusing on Nicklas Lidstrom’s return and the team’s roster turnover due to the retirements of Brian Rafalski, Chris Osgood and Kris Draper;
• DetroitRedWings.com’s Bill Roose focused on both Ty Conklin’s return and the fortunes of Grand Rapids Griffin-to-be Chris Conner;
• For some reason, this didn’t post on the Windsor Star’s website, but Dave Waddell also profiled Jan Mursak;
• In the multimedia department, the Detroit News’s Daniel Mears posted a 27-image gallery from Monday’s skate, and the Detroit News posted a video as well…
As did the Macomb Daily’s Pleiness…
And the Windsor Star’s Waddell posted clips of Nicklas Lidstrom…
And Holmstrom speaking to the press…
• Alyonka Larionov also posted a clip of Brendan Smith talking about his expectations for this upcoming season:
Smith is attending today’s “NHLPA Rookie Showcase” in Toronto as part of a photo shoot for Upper Deck and Panini America, and the latter trading card company is already covering the event via their blog; Upper Deck’s official blog is beginning to post news from the event as well, and you can expect the NHLPA’s website to offer content from the event, too;
• Also in the prospect department, the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap profiled Wings prospect and Vancouver Giants forward Marek Tvrdon;
• RedWingsCentral’s Sarah Lindenau wrote a superb article about the players who face the most pressure to perform during training camp on her Left Wing Lock blog;
• The Montreal Gazette’s Red Fisher says that the Red Wings will be just fine this season, and the Hockey News’s Jamie McLennan says that Pavel Datsyuk’s got the best “hands” of any player he ever faced as a goaltender;
• Again, the laptop’s taking a chunk of change out of my wallet because I’m just technically proficient enough to screw things up, so I’d rather have a professional take care of it for me, but I am still about I’m about 80% of the way to being able to pay my hotel bill for the Wings’ prospect tournament and main training camp in Traverse City, so if you can lend a hand, the savings account’s going to dry up by the time I pay for gas and lodging and all of that stuff, so it’d be greatly appreciated:
You’ll have to use my email address, rtxg at yahoo dot com, to donate, if you can/will/feel like it.
• And this will be public sooner or later, so I’ll just say that the pre-sale code for the Red Wings’ single-game seat sale going on from 10 AM till 10 PM today involves one of Igor Larionov’s most famous post-Stanley Cup proclamations.
I’m going offline for the next day or two and I’ll try to sneak to the library to update the blog as my other computer is on its last legs, too, but I’m really sorry for any inconveniences.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.