The Malik Report

A bit of a shocker about Red Wings forward Mike Modano and a Zetterberg timeline from Duff

Edit/update: All the Coyotes’ reports and multimedia from today are available in the practice update thread, as is an interview with a bit of a jerk named Tyson Nash: Red Wings forward Mike Modano initially stated that he planned on retiring if the Red Wings made the Stanley Cup finals, win or lose, but the Windsor Star’s Bob Duff believes that Modano’s comments on Tuesday afternoon indicate that he’s going to retire regardless of how far the Wings’ playoff run goes:

“This is my one last chance at it, so I’m kind of excited about the opportunity,” Modano said of the upcoming playoffs. “I just hope to make the most of it when I’m called upon.”

Asked if he was definitely talking retirement, Modano nodded.

“I think it is time,” he said. “That’s kind of the way I look at it. The last little while, I’ve thought long and hard about it. I’m just going to try to put everything I have into this, and then that’s going to be it for me.”

Duff also spoke to Niklas Kronwall, who he notes will probably return on Wednesday, and he reveals that, in a perfect world, Henrik Zetterberg would miss at least another week, if not two, with what is probably a sprained MCL:

The news wasn’t as promising regarding centre Henrik Zetterberg’s sprained knee. “He’s not playing,” Wings coach Mike Babcock confirmed. “The good thing about it is we got a couple days before the next game (on Saturday). So he’ll continue to be day-to-day until he’s back.’‘

Zetterberg was downcast as he met with the media Tuesday. “You want to be playing this time of year,” Zetterberg said. “It is tough. This is the first playoff I’m not really ready. It felt really funny when it happened. We’re working on it. We’re (making) progress. Hopefully it will be shorter than what we thought.’‘

Originally, the Wings projected a 2-3 week absence for Zetterberg, who hurt the knee a week ago in a game at Carolina.

Update 11:02 PM: MLive’s Ansar Khan confirms:

Detroit Red Wings forward Mike Modano said on Friday that he plans to retire if the team makes a long playoff run. On Tuesday, the 40-year-old future Hall of Famer indicated he likely will retire regardless of what transpires in the playoffs.

“This is my one last chance at it, so I’m kind of excited about the opportunity,” Modano said. “I just hope to make the most of it when I’m called upon.”

Asked if this will be his last playoffs, Modano said: “I think it is. That’s kind of the way I look at it. The last little while, I’ve thought long and hard about it. I’m just going to try to put everything I have into this, and then that’s going to be it for me.”

Update 11:56 PM: Ditto for the Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness:

“This is my one last chance at it, so I’m kind of excited about the opportunity,” Modano said Tuesday after practice. “I just hope to make the most of it when I’m called upon.”

Modano was asked if this was going to be his last playoff run and he said, “I think it is. That’s kind of the way I look at it. The last little while, I’ve thought long and hard about it. I’m just going to try to put everything I have into this, and then that’s going to be it for me.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

I think it’s kind of strange that Mo didn’t put off this retirement talk until after the playoffs.  I sure hope he gives it everything he’s got.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/13/11 at 12:08 AM ET

Tuba Guy's avatar

As Much as I hate to say it, I wouldn’t miss Modano. I Hope he proves me wrong tomorrow.

Posted by Tuba Guy from Royal Oak, MI on 04/13/11 at 12:13 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

that can’t be a bad mindset for the Wings, as far as having the highest scoring American-born player in NHL history laying it all on the ice for what he sees as his last shot to go out on top.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/13/11 at 12:43 AM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

exactly

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 04/13/11 at 01:05 AM ET

I honestly feel like this is gonna be really good for the Wings. It could really spark a fire under them by giving them something to play for, a “let’s win one for Mo” scenario. I feel like it was the added drive to get Dallas Drake a cup back in ‘08 that gave them that little extra.

Posted by Brandon from Boston on 04/13/11 at 01:12 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Best news I’ve heard all year. Modano has been invisible in every game he’s played – before and after his injury. Let’s all hope he get to hoist the Cup this June and then fades into obscurity on the Left Coast with his thorphy wife.

Thanks for playing, Mike. Now GTFO.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/13/11 at 01:22 AM ET

I agree, I think it could be a really good thing, a good motivational tool.

And I’m also happy to hear that he’s hanging them up.  Both for him and for the Wings.

Posted by Garth on 04/13/11 at 01:47 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m gonna be blunt and probably regret it: I don’t think his heart’s been in it, at least after he got injured. I think he’s got a playoff run in him and that’s about it, and he was hoping to more or less survive the regular season and get ready for this point…so yes, it’s good for the Wings to have another rallying point, and it’s good that he’s not going to try to go through another season where he’s only partially motivated to compete.

That’s not a knock on Modano the person—the last few years in Dallas really beat him up, perhaps mentally more than physically—but I hope he gets to win his Cup and then move on to the next stage of his hockey career.

As Abdelkader and Helm have shown us, we’ve got two forwards who are more than ready to play third line minutes, not fourth line minutes, and it’s time to give them the chance to show what they’ve got on an every-night basis..

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/13/11 at 02:14 AM ET

Chet's avatar

on 90:

modano’s future is irrelevant to this playoff season. the rest of this team has no doubt noted his arrival last fall in less than peak condition, his failure to come around (if you can call it that) until nearly midway through the season, and his attitude/performance since his admittedly-huge injury. since his return, he’s shown all the fire of a sunday morning cub scout picnic…on tuesday afternoon. his comments to the media are needless and selfish, and this coming from a guy who has respected modano since i started watching hockey in the early ‘90s.

so, please: to think this team is using modano’s future as a motivating factor is foolish. if they want to win, they want to win for the guys who have been around and have contributed for more than half a season. i assume they see him as a hugely classy, hugely decorated, certain hall-of-fame…hitchhiker. couldn’t the wings have been as good or better with maltby, draper/miller, or mursak on those minutes? so score a few or more, mike, and make them (and us) believe in you. even if this is the last go-round.

and guys, let’s not forget that this might be lidstrom’s last season.

on to the wings’ playoff chances:

now that the pundits have spoken, let’s get down to brass tacks. the reality is the wings could very easily bow out in the first round. i fully expect this team still has the firepower and the pride to take care of business against phoenix, but after that…let’s not count any chickens. they are almost certain to be underdogs to anyone they meet in the second round, and their poor defensive habits evident since december have surely not been extinguished just because it’s the playoffs. most problematic, their overall depth has essentially been evened out by the cap. oh, and zetterberg’s gimpy. sweet jesus.

god knows this team is as prideful, skilled, and professional as any other, but that’s just it: “as any other.” as always, i hope and believe we can win the cup, but for a change i believe many other teams can, too.

GO WINGS.

twitter: the gansen

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/13/11 at 08:48 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

their overall depth has essentially been evened out by the cap

the sad part about that is it’s exactly what the league wanted.  they wanted one-and-done teams like Chicago “so somebody else can win it.”  they don’t want any more Edmontons, Detroits, and New Jerseys.  they want people in Phoenix and Miami and Nashville and whatever-other-dumbfuck-city-Gary-thought-should-want-a-hockey-team-but-doesn’t….to feel like their team has a chance.

not by finding a way to let their GMs make them better.  but by finding a way to make everyone else.

it’s the new American way.  not enough people passing the entrance exam?  lower the standards.  pathetic.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/13/11 at 10:31 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

“make everyone else.”

make everyone else worse.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/13/11 at 10:32 AM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

maybe he is playing up to his 3rd/4th line status ... someone on here once pointed out that maybe if they gave him a shot at 1st or 2nd line he might play better ... might be a reason if he feels the coach has no faith in him ......................

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/13/11 at 03:36 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

ackkkkkk WTH is it with the Roy ad ???  >

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 04/13/11 at 03:37 PM ET