The Malik Report

A point of clarification

Regarding the Red Wings' summer development camp and its lack of returning Griffins/Walleye players:

The Red Wings' want me to let you know that there wasn't an "opt-out" option for Griffins--the Wings' coaches and management chose to bring the roster here that they brought here, and in the specific case of Martin Frk, the Wings were going to bring him up here until they drafted 6 forwards.

[edit/update: So stop bagging on the guy--he apparently received some rude comments after it was found out that he wasn't participating in the camp, and neither he, Marek Tvrdon, Colin Campbell or any of the other players that I know of who aren't at the camp "opted out." The Wings view this more and more as an orientation camp, and so the conspicuous absences will be back for the fall tournament /end edit].

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

and in the specific case of Martin Frk, the Wings were going to bring him up here until they drafted 6 forwards. So stop bagging on the guy!

Did I miss something?

Posted by Hootinani on 07/07/14 at 09:41 AM ET

SK77's avatar

You and me both, Hoot ...

Posted by SK77 on 07/07/14 at 09:52 AM ET

RW19's avatar

What about Mitch Wheaton any word on why they did not bring him in?

Posted by RW19 on 07/07/14 at 10:06 AM ET

That seems like an answer that doesn’t answer much.

Posted by lancer on 07/07/14 at 10:11 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Ahh so wings do use bloggers and diggers as mouthpieces.  I didn’t realize anyone was bagging on Frk either.  And not much of an explanation except if they aren’t there they didn’t want them there

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/14 at 11:32 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

As an aside.. This fat yard cut me off on the road. Stole my parking spot at the gas station.. Now I have to wait for him to blow up this bathroom… And I don’t have a lot of waiting left in me.. Least not for long

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/14 at 11:43 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Yes, the Wings do, and apparently Frk’s gotten harrangued and harassed. I was asked to post this and I did.

They wanted Frk there, they wanted Tvrdon there, Campbell there, they wanted Wheaton there, but the camp was cut down to a certain size, and those players will take part in the prospect tournament.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/14 at 11:59 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s not fun to be asked to post something, but the point involved explaining Frk’s situation, and I don’t want the guy to get ripped because of something I said, and that was the team’s take. That’s fair.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/14 at 12:03 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Me either.. Once it clicks for the kid hell be a wrecking ball.  Think he could compliment AA really well

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/07/14 at 12:07 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Can you point out where on KK Frk was being ripped, let alone even mentioned? Or is this something the brass asked you to post because somewhere out in the Internet Ether someone was questioning Frk?

And what’s your un-biased/brassed opinion on Frk? Seems like he’s still in need of a toolbox to put his tools in. Has he been working on his skating and first step quickness?

Posted by SK77 on 07/07/14 at 12:41 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s not Kukla’s. It’s Twitter, it’s Facebook, it’s the other places that Frk is being ripped, and this blog does have a life outside its comments section. That is why they asked me to post it and that is why I did it.

What do I think about Frk? Personally, he’s a great kid, he’s earnest and hard-working and funny. I root for him. Professionally? I still believe that he has the tools to be a “power sniper” who goes to the front of the net and jams home rebounds, but he had such an incredibly difficult transition to pro hockey that I worry that it shook him up. He’s got the tools and he’s got the toolbox, but sometimes things go sideways when you’re playing on a line with Drouin and MacKinnon and then you have a dreadful pro start on your own.

It’s going to be up to Frk to prove that he can go it alone or go it with minimal assistance, and until I see what he looks like at the prospect tournament, I really don’t know whether I can give you a good answer. I know he works out in the summer in Montreal instead of heading home to the Czech Republic, so that’s something.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/14 at 03:12 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Since the topic has been brought up…

Any reason why the Wings just didn’t invite a few less tryouts to make room for Frk and the rest?

Posted by Hootinani on 07/07/14 at 06:27 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

*shrugs shoulders* I will ask.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/14 at 06:33 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

*shrugs shoulders* I will ask.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/07/14 at 07:33 PM ET

you’re a scholar and a gentlemen, good sir

Posted by Hootinani on 07/07/14 at 07:21 PM ET

BenjaminKGT500's avatar

Maybe they wanted to assess more tryouts this year with their needing to stock Toledo with more bodies than they did in the past? Or they’re expecting a lot of turnover in general with so many prospects close to the NHL?

Posted by BenjaminKGT500 on 07/08/14 at 07:28 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It’s probably both, but I’ve had to field a ton of questions from people who are downright angry about the players who aren’t here. I think that’s the Wings’ issue—they were worried about the fact that people are pissed off at Frk for “not coming,” and they felt that my suggestion that players could “opt out” (whether that’s true or not, I don’t know, nobody’s told me how the, “I want to come up” vs. “Naah, next time” process works or doesn’t work) wasn’t accurate.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/08/14 at 07:30 AM ET