The Malik Report

A ‘sensitive’ subject indeed

The "Pavel Datsyuk situation" is a frustrating one for Red Wings fans--or at least this Red Wings fan--and the Free Press's Helene St. James reports that Datsuk addressed his status after today's morning skate:

Datsyuk has one year left on his contract. He said he isn’t thinking about what he will do when that expires, because “I have another year I can stay for sure. I like Detroit. I like it, it’s nice. Like playoffs. It’s different level, energy. Fans in jerseys, painted faces. It’s more fun. You feel bumps.”

A couple friends who were at Games 3 and 4 in Detroit were so impressed, Datsyuk said, “they say they never see anything like it. They love it. They addicted.”

Datsyuk paused. “Now I can be seller,” he said, smiling.

Datsyuk will turn 36 in the summer of 2014. He’s got a skill set that transcends what’s considered middle-aged in the NHL. If he does leave, it will be mostly because he misses Elizabeth, who has been back in Russia since Datsyuk and his wife divorced a few years ago. A few days into training camp in January, Datsyuk also spoke glowingly of how much fun he had playing in the KHL during the lockout last fall.

“It’s home,” Datsyuk said. “Lots of friends, is fun, but level is not compared to here. Everybody plays best here.”

In speaking of his daughter, Datsyuk again showed his sense of humor. “Don’t make me sensitive,” he said, smiling.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Heartbreaking.  I had no idea.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/08/13 at 06:48 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Great, another Brad Stuart situation.

Posted by Primis on 05/08/13 at 06:54 PM ET

Puppies and Hookers's avatar

I can somehow handle thinking that my parents and pets will one day die and I’ll be left alone without them.  But thinking that Datsyuk will leave the Wings forever makes me want to cry myself to sleep to this http://youtu.be/k1-TrAvp_xs  :d.own:

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 05/08/13 at 06:57 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

As a parent I know it would be an easy choice for me.  He will be able to have it both ways in Russia.

Being with his Daughter, and, his career playing Hockey.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/08/13 at 07:11 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

I am hoping he stays but I get the feeling he will leave. I can certainly understand it if he does.  I would compare Pav leaving more to Lids retiring than Stuart leaving.  Simply put, he is one of a kind and will not and can not be replaced.

Enjoy it while he is here!

Posted by OnlyWings on 05/08/13 at 07:16 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by Puppies and Hookers from La la land on 05/08/13 at 07:57 PM ET

apparently we not only reside in the same land… but we feel the same way about Pav. I may have to move to Russia for a few years if he leaves. I just don’t know if I can handle it.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/08/13 at 07:28 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

But he did play in Moscow and his daughter goes to school in Yekaterinburg. The distance between the two is about 882 miles. Yes, it’s less than it was for Stuart, but still pretty far, considering worse roads and transportation over there… so ‘being with his daughter’ is a slight exaggeration. Closer - yes, but ‘with her’ - no. Unless he plays for his hometown team Avtomobilist.

Posted by detroitredwings on 05/08/13 at 07:34 PM ET

Chet's avatar

one of my fave plays of his STILL is a dish he made to shanny inthe crease for a tap in years ago. so simple but unselfish, perfect.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 05/08/13 at 07:35 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Heartbreaking.  I had no idea.

His wife was with him at the awards show the last off-season.  I had hoped there was a rekindling afoot.  Seems not to have been the case. :(

Holland!  Sign russian players with socially welcoming russian wives ASAP!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/08/13 at 07:59 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I had no idea Datsyuk was divorced.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 05/08/13 at 08:07 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I actually thought they were separated.  Her being back home with the daughter has been known for a while, though.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/08/13 at 08:10 PM ET

Speedy's avatar

having lost his parents,and with this.could not blame him for wanting to go home,Datsyuk is a superior player but even greater human.much respect to him

Posted by Speedy on 05/08/13 at 09:17 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

This.
Gonna HATE to see him go.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/09/13 at 07:36 AM ET

He’s already got a couple of Cups.  His kid is about ten years old, and in a few more years won’t really give a damn about Daddy.  He had a riot playing in front of his fellow Russians.

I’ll bet he’s gone.  Damn it all, anyway….

Posted by Chris in DC on 05/09/13 at 10:46 AM ET