The Malik Report

A Scary Moment For Alden Hirschfeld Of The Grand Rapids Griffins

via Michelle's Twitter...

The medics have an IV and oxygen tank out tending to the downed player. Still can't tell who it is though

Sounds like it might be Alden Hirschfeld that's being gended to be medics. Still waiting for confirmation though

Hirschfeld is now standing up, gives wave to the crowd & is stretchered off (precautionary). Huge cheers to see he's up & moving

more tweets from Michelle...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Crazy scene.  Right after a penalty call, the Griffs bench cleared like someone had lit it on fire, and a bunch of players rushed to the zamboni entrance to get the paramedics.  They worked on him for a good 10 minutes.  Good to see it looks like hes ok.  Scary stuff.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/08/16 at 08:49 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I almost went to the game tonight. Maybe a Jiri Fischer type incident?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/08/16 at 08:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

If anyone has updates, I would appreciate if you leave a comment.

George is off tonight and my eyes are closing.

Thanks

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/08/16 at 08:56 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I almost went to the game tonight. Maybe a Jiri Fischer type incident?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/08/16 at 08:54 PM ET

Sounded more like a seizure than a cardiac incident, but thats just speculation from the announcers there.  Sounds like he is doing fine at the hospital right now.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/08/16 at 08:56 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

If anyone has updates, I would appreciate if you leave a comment.

George is off tonight and my eyes are closing.

Thanks

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/08/16 at 08:56 PM ET

They are saying he is awake and in stable condition at the hospital.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/08/16 at 08:57 PM ET

Paul's avatar

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Grand Rapids Griffins forward Alden Hirschfeld suffered a medical incident on the team’s bench with 6:19 remaining in the second period of tonight’s game against the Milwaukee Admirals at Van Andel Arena. After being attended to by paramedics and Griffins medical and training staffs, he was transported to a local hospital in stable condition for further evaluation. More information will be made available as warranted.

The game was temporarily suspended with the Griffins leading 4-1. The teams went to their locker rooms while the ice was resurfaced, and play recently resumed with 6:19 remaining in the second period.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/08/16 at 09:16 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Maybe a Jiri Fischer type incident?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley

Jeff Hogan said in an interview that that was the first thing that crossed his mind when it happened, but it appears to be a different kind of condition.

On local TV news, Coach Nelson indicated that Hirschfeld has a history of suffering from seizures but hadn’t ever had one during a game. They reported that he’s now in the hospital and doing well.

Hirschfeld had 14 goals and 12 assists in 27 games with Toledo this year before being called up by the Griffins where he was scoreless in four games.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/08/16 at 11:59 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Scary. When I saw the first announcement it immediately took me back to listening to Ken Kal on the radio when Jiri Fischer went down.  Never a happy thing.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/09/16 at 12:04 AM ET

tkfergy's avatar

I was told by someone sitting by the bench they had to use the AD (defibrillator) on him. So it may be a lot like Jiri.

Posted by tkfergy on 01/09/16 at 02:31 AM ET

Wasn’t Fischer’s seizure because he had a heart attack?

You’re in our prayers here in Vegas, Hirsch.  Get well soon.

Posted by SYF from fishing with Vicky Stark on 01/09/16 at 09:44 AM ET