The Malik Report

A RedWingsFeed-sponsored slate of Red Wings evening gnus about Lidstrom and Samuelsson

This entry's essentially brought to you by RedWingsFeed as I wasn't on Twitter when DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose offered a trio of "teasers" for an upcoming conversation with Nicklas Lidstrom...

Also from RedWingsFeed, I will allow you to peruse the Cult of Hockey's David Staples' article about the "best players ever" on your own as it is SUPER involved by my standards, but the bottom line is the bottom line...

And finally, RedWingsFeed directs us to Expressen's Cecilia Edstrom, who had a short conversation with returning Red Wings forward Mikael Samuelsson (roughly translated Swedish follows):

Samuelsson: "It wasn't even a good rumor"

Mikael Samuelsson only played in 9 games with the Detroit Red Wings last year.

There are rumors that he's moved back to Sweden to play with Sodertalje SK.

Something he denies.

"It wasn't even a good rumor, that's how you could put it," he tells SportExpressen.se.

There are many Sodertalje fans who've longed for an incoming player in Mikael Samuelsson's class.

With his difficult season last year with injuries and disappointment, they felt that a signing wasn't too far away. And rumors flourished.

"Really shitty"

But Mikael Samuelsson himself is looking no further than Detroit and the NHL right now.

"I would never leave the NHL. I'm definitely not done yet. And I'm eager to play good hockey. I absolutely won't go home now," he says, and continues: "Whether I'll come home to Sodertalje, I have no idea, if I come home at all. It's far too early to say."

He talks about his difficult times last year.

"Personally, it was really shitty. There were sundry injuries all the time. Even time I came back I injured myself. I must have done something to piss off the big guy up there. It was as unlucky as it gets. It was frustrating. Now I'm really eager to play good hockey again."

Lesson lesson: RedWingsFeed's aggregation of Wings news stories makes me a better blogger. Give 'em a follow.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I can’t remember in which post you mentioned Järnkrok playing in Forsberg’s and Näslund’s charity games, so I’ll leave my comment here.

LiveArena will show tomorrow’s Icebreakers game against Vilhelmina IK live on their website at: http://www.livearena.com/Content/Index/5269

Posted by Sandra from Trollhättan, Sweden on 08/09/13 at 08:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Thank you!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/09/13 at 08:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Thanks to TDTyler, every time I read a quote from William Tell I read it IN CAPS.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/09/13 at 10:38 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And uh, George, where is Yzerman on Staples’ list?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/09/13 at 10:40 PM ET

Primis's avatar

And uh, George, where is Yzerman on Staples’ list?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/09/13 at 11:40 PM ET

I opined on this on the KK Hockey story about it.

It’s based on Conn Smythe and Hart voting for forwards.  Yzerman played at the same time as Lemieux and Gretzky.  Simple math tells you how many times Yzerman even managed to finish 2nd in Hart voting (I believe once?)... so, yeah…  I mean nobody’s ever going to mistake Joe Sakic as better than Yzerman and yet you can always come up with some weird metric that can accomplish that I guess.

Of other noteworhtiness with that list:  Malkin, Ovechkin, and no Crosby.

Posted by Primis on 08/09/13 at 10:54 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I really, really, really like the Cult of Hockey gents. But I don’t agree with their statistical analyses very often.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/09/13 at 11:39 PM ET