The Malik Report

A New Look At Detroit’s Practice Today

via Ansar Khan tweet,

Lines juggled: Nyquist-Datsyuk-Abdelkader, Franzen-Helm-Alfredsson, Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Miller-Glendening-Legwand.

added 11:33am, via Chuck Pleiness tweet,

PP units: Franzen, Datsyuk, Legwand, Nyquist and Kronwall. Sheahan, Alfredsson, Tatar, Jurco and DeKeyser.

added 12:25pm, via Bill Roose tweet,

Jonathan Ericsson says tendon isn't healing as fast as the bone in his finger.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Mandingo's avatar

I like it.

Though, honestly, Franzen probably deserves to be demoted to the 4th line a lot more than Legwand.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/16/14 at 11:32 AM ET

SK77's avatar

I like it too. Legwand paired with Miller & Glendening is a good line – Franzen instead of Legwand on that one would just mess up with whatever they’ve got going.

Hopefully Helm’s speed and Alfredsson’s Swede Seniority will get Franzen going. Hopefully ...

Posted by SK77 on 04/16/14 at 11:35 AM ET

This is good.

I thought I remembered Helm and Franzen playing well together this season. (so many injuries and line combos this year its all a blur)

And maybe Alfredsson could be someone to help light a fire under him on the ice.

Posted by lancer on 04/16/14 at 11:37 AM ET

Franzen probably deserves to be demoted to the 4th line

It’s funny, a guy has his second best year as far as points per game, ends the season with a respectable 6 points in his last ten games, and he still “deserves” to be on the fourth line.

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 11:39 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Franzen probably deserves to be demoted to the 4th line

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 11:39 AM ET

Franzen must be punished to satisfy the pagan gods I worship.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/16/14 at 11:41 AM ET

Franzen has been cold for a while now, so maybe it is time to get scoring.

Posted by George0211 on 04/16/14 at 11:42 AM ET

The lines are very close now to what I was suggesting yesterday. I am really glad Franzen and Dats are on separate lines and the kid line is back together.

Posted by VPalmer on 04/16/14 at 11:43 AM ET

Franzen must be punished to satisfy the pagan gods I worship.

Fair enough.

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 11:44 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Franzen probably deserves to be demoted to the 4th line

I respect you believe Franzen must be punished to satisfy the pagan gods I worship, but he would perform even worse in a checking role: he doesn’t check. Third line for Franzen, that is the place for players on the way up or on their way out.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 04/16/14 at 11:50 AM ET

Franzen is Franzen.

Since 2009-10 his per-game scoring pace has never been higher than 0.78 or lower than 0.72. That is to say, over 82 games he’s never been better than a 64-point player or worse than a 59-point player in each of his last 5 seasons.

I know I’m going out on a limb here applying this word to Franzen, but really, he’s pretty consistent. I know he goes stretches where it seems like he scores a ton and stretches where it seems like he goes terribly cold, but honestly you can say that about pretty much every 50-60-ish point player in the game. Filppula. Hudler. Robert Lang. Franzen’s not going to get exactly 3 points in every 4-game block. That’s not how hockey works.

The problem I think is less about Johan Franzen and more about irrational expectations placed on him by the fans. He goes out and blasts a hot streak at the best possible time, shoots almost 19% in the 2008 playoffs, scores 13 goals and wins a Stanley Cup. Now everyone thinks he’s a 40-goal, point-per-game guy who would be top-20 in league scoring every year if only he just put in the effort. But I think the truth is that Franzen, even a healthy and motivated one, is just not nearly that good, and never truly was.

I just hope Nyquist doesn’t suffer the same fate. He’s been great this season but his numbers are going to regress hard—they pretty much have to—and I can all-to-easily picture Detroit fans turning on him if he goes through a few cold streaks and “only” scores 25 goals in 82 games next year.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 04/16/14 at 12:18 PM ET

perfection's avatar

these are exactly the lines I would put out. total balance.

forget this “deserve” business… Legwand/Glenny/Miller is our secret weapon. They have been completely dominant since they’ve been put together. It’s not a traditional demotion but rather Babs’ way of making four lethal lines. Playoff series are won by goalies and the bottom 6. I think this fourth line is going to either have to shut down the Bergeron line or when Datsyuk gets matched head to head on them, is going to simply wreak havoc on the forecheck. I predict now we get a big goal somewhere along the way from our fourth line against their fourth line. I also think this fourth line is going to get waaaay under the Burins’ skin before this series is over. Glendening in particular is the kind of player Boston cannot handle. Pesky, incessant, towing the line, but just always cool, calm and never overreacts. They will be easily lured into extracurricular violence. He’s probably going to get punched in the head at some point, but it will give us some much needed PP’s.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/16/14 at 12:23 PM ET

I like this lineup.  If the wings hit the second round, I imagine zetterburg will take abby’s spot and who knows who the odd man out is.  Jurco, shaehan or Legwand?

Remember when this team had Bertuzzi, Tootoo, Cleary and Samuelson?  Neither do I.

Posted by neffernin on 04/16/14 at 12:28 PM ET

I think Nyquist, Helm, and Glenny’s speed is going to be a bit hard for Boston to contain.  That’s not even mentioning the “kid line” which is probably collectively the fastest of the 4 lines posted.

I still cringe at Abby being on the top line, though honestly I’m not sure who else I’d put there.

Posted by neffernin on 04/16/14 at 12:33 PM ET

but it will give us some much needed PP’s.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/16/14 at 12:23 PM ET

Renney’s got a tall order this playoff year.  His power play schemes HAVE to work.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/16/14 at 12:38 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 11:39 AM ET

Funny you should say that—Nyquist also finished his last ten games of the season with 6 points.

But, you know, Franzen suckity suck suck sucksssss.

Posted by SK77 on 04/16/14 at 12:57 PM ET

If he can do what he’s good at and never, ever let the puck touch his stick unless he’s deflecting a shot while screening the goalie, then it could work out.

But yeeah, that’s at least partially rationalization because I still cringe at that thought too…

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 01:08 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You’re right cause were always moving pav. Z. Gus.  To get them going.  Franzen realistically would be much more productive going at lower competition.  How bout watch him play and coast all over or act likehes skating his heart out with cement blocks on his skates yet everyone’s blowing past him. And we’ve seen how fast he CAN be and you should know better then to value someone completely on point production.  He’s a glitch in the matrix because Detroit s FORCED to find some way to get him to compete because he has tools no one else on our team has.  He’s a top line sniper like file was playing like a top line center.  He might be for Tampa bit he wasn’t trying in Detroit.  Watching him this year has validated that for me

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/16/14 at 01:28 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

SK, weird is right.  Couldn’t be playing with the best center in the world or hottest player the last two months of the season.  Couldn’t be.  I’m sure he was carrying pav and Nyquist.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/16/14 at 01:33 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Posted by Garth on 04/16/14 at 01:08 PM ET

Sheahan?  Yeah, he’s a center by trade, but he does everything Abbey does better, and he has hands ... and vision ... and playmaking ability ... things you look for in a top line power forward.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/16/14 at 01:33 PM ET

perfection's avatar

... things you look for in a top line power forward.

also things you look for in your third line center. The kid line simply can not be broken up at this point.

There’s nothing quite like a potent third line. They win playoff games more often than first lines do, who tend to cancel each other out. I think the production (or lack of) of the kid line could be the determining factor in this series.

also, Abby had a pretty good season and has probably looked his best all year the last handful of games as he’s gotten back in the swing of things after his injury. I think he’s going to be fine on the first line. At least to start

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/16/14 at 01:58 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I would give Mule a couple of games to get out of his scoring funk, he is an important goal scorer with Z out.  If he continues to not play physical, skate hard and score then I would move him down.

If Mule gets hot he could change this series, big time. Will see in the 1st couple of games!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/16/14 at 01:58 PM ET

My two thoughts.
There’s consistent, then there’s franzen. Similar point totals just means he takes a similar number of games off. using ppg is just using stats as a way to lie.

Perfection. As far as the Wings pp goes, I usually just fast forward through it and hope the opponent doesn’t score. It’s terrible. Completely terrible. Also, just hope helm and Miller don’t get penalties. Guaranteed goals against. Renney isn’t earning his bacon with the special teams.

Posted by teldar on 04/16/14 at 02:22 PM ET