The Malik Report

A Look At Brendan Smith

from Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News,

Learning a trade on the plant and shop is difficult enough. But when it is done live in front of 20,066 folks and one intense coach, and on television, where replays reveal mistakes made shaving let alone while playing the game on the huge white sheet. It might unnerve some.

Confidence, however, is one of Smith’s strengths.

Asked about a whirlwind of a week, he said, “It’s been a little bit of a roller-coaster, but I think I can do that just because of my versatility.

“I’m a good skater.”

Asked for a self-evaluation of the season, Smith said, “I think it’s been picking up, I think just continuing to get better. Every year it’s continued to get better.

“And, yeah, you could use that thing as ‘the young defenseman,’ or whatever, what a young defenseman needs is just to get better.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RWBill's avatar

“It’s a real simple game that way, for him. He competes real hard. It’s just that you’ve got to make sure you’re taking care of it. You can’t be passing it to them.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140321/SPORTS0103/303210037#ixzz2wc9dCEMB

That is so Babcock, and a simple concept is exactly what needs to be learned by Smith.  “Who’s got the puck after you have it?”

The Wings are voluntarily going through what are hoped to be growing pains with Smith, hopefully his play isn’t as good as he’s going to get.  Not that the Wings have much choice with the loss of their high end defensemen in recent years and persistent recurring injuries this year.

If he grows and gets better and eliminates turnovers in front of Howard it will be worth going through the pains of the growing process.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/21/14 at 12:20 PM ET

I suspect Smith is the kind of player who will thrive when greater responsibility is placed on his shoulders. He likes the THE guy….nothing wrong with that in a professional athlete.

I have criticized him severely for his horrific giveaways but do not question his talent or competitiveness.  I am quite content with him playing alongside Kronwall who is a pretty decent defence man.

When Ericsson gets back, he might be better served by playing with DeKeyser who is also as good as Smith in a different way. Neither is a pure # 1 at this stage but both have that potential. In my mind, Ericsson never will and should be on the second pairing.

Posted by NewfieWing on 03/21/14 at 12:38 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by
          RWBill

from the open bar on The Hasek. on 03/21/14 at 12:20 PM ET

Yep. I’m hoping he takes the big step next season, like Ericsson did after his contract. If he could do that I think he’d jump above Ericsson. The reason I say that is the kid can really skate, isn’t small nor soft. Ericsson, who I am a fan of, skates well and has great size but rarely uses that size. (insert your deity here) gave you gifts… use them.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/21/14 at 01:21 PM ET

Smith has improved dramatically over the last 30 days or so (despite occasional horrible mistakes). He is a lot more confident there. And you know who has been solid recently also? Quincey. Too bad it took Babs about 75 games (going back to last year) to finally understand those 2 cannot play together, but perfectly fine separately (something most saw immediately).

Posted by VPalmer on 03/21/14 at 01:32 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

The reason I say that is the kid can really skate, isn’t small nor soft.

I agree, Smith has great skills, physical size (sort of) and can skate.  His damn head just messes him up.  I really think he thinks he is a 1/2 D man but in reality if he doesn’t get it! There are some prospects that will push him hard.  He can be a really good 3/4 D Man, hope he matures soon.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/21/14 at 01:46 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

That would free DDK to be a bit more offensive, which is ok with me, since he’s been showing it a little bit more of late.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/21/14 at 02:38 PM ET

It lis still an ongoing process to mature the d men who seem to look better in increments.

Posted by bobbo on 03/21/14 at 05:08 PM ET