The Malik Report

A Few Popular Names Still Missing From Wings Alumni Roster

from Bill Roose at the Wings' website,

It’s possible that the Wings could extend its current list of commitments to 50 individuals, said Holland, who still hopes to wrangle Sergei Fedorov and Steve Yzerman for the New Year’s Eve festivities.

The problem with both former Detroit stars is that they are general managers for pro hockey teams elsewhere, with Yzerman in Tampa Bay and Fedorov in Moscow.

“Sergei is interested. I think depending on how his team is doing as we get closer … he’s interested,” Holland said. “At some point I’m going to reach out to Steve. Obviously, Steve knows the game is going on. He knows everyone wants him to play. I haven’t officially asked him. I’ve sort of, on occasion, cracked some jokes, but at some point and time here, once we get out of training camp and the season gets up and running, I’ll officially reach out and see what he’s thinking.”

more alumni talk and injury updates...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

d ca's avatar

Yzerman isn’t going to play. Or to be more accurate (and fair) CAN’T play.  His right knee has zero cartilage in it.

He was so badly injured throughout his career that his knee won’t allow him to skate without major major pain. Luckily for Wings fans the guy had such a high pain tolerance and competitive drive that he played a few more years doing significant damage to his body.

He hasn’t skated since retiring. Not recreationally with his daughter, for fun, or for charity. It’s selfish to ask him to do it again.

Sources:

Posted by d ca on 09/20/13 at 03:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Understandable about Yzerman, but just having him show up would be great.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/20/13 at 03:48 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Understandable about Yzerman, but just having him show up would be great.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/20/13 at 03:48 PM ET

I don’t mind Yzerman not playing, but, he really should be a part of the festivities on some level. His entire career with the Wings just doesn’t cease to exist because he is employed by the Lightning. It would be a great show of respect towards the fans that cheered him on.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/20/13 at 04:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yzerman as assistant coach seems fair to me.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/20/13 at 05:05 PM ET

You’d think Holland is aware of the extent of Yzerman’s injuries. If he’s willing to ask him one more time, he should. Stevie would enjoy it, even if he sits on the bench more than older guys.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 09/20/13 at 05:09 PM ET

DocF's avatar

TreKronor said: “Yzerman as assistant coach seems fair to me.”

I second that motion.  Stevie Y on the bench with Scotty Bowman would be wonderful.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/20/13 at 05:09 PM ET