The Malik Report

A Datsyukian Tweet

On the heels of the locker room clean-out day news that Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk would like to sign a multi-year contract extension with the Wings, he posted one helluva Tweet:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Is it weird that this made my pants a little tight?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 05/31/13 at 03:56 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Why would we want such an unproductive guy back for another year, never mind a couple years… right HD?

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/31/13 at 04:01 PM ET

Holy F’n Christmas!

Posted by lancer on 05/31/13 at 04:17 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

With his lack of talent, he better start working really hard if he thinks he can stay in Detroit for a few more years.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/31/13 at 04:19 PM ET

awould's avatar

That is good news.

Posted by awould on 05/31/13 at 04:29 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Datsyuk’s game will age well just like Martin St Louis. Both may not get you around 100 pts anymore, but both will put up around 50 assists still (in a 82 game season).

St Louis is actually a good barometer of Datsyuk’s contract too: St Louis has 2 years left on his contract and he’s 3 years older than Datsyuk so a 4 year extension deal isn’t out of the question.

The question I have is how much is the cap hit going to be? It’s pretty hard to ask him to take a pay-cut given he’s still considered a top tier player and those guys are making 6M+ on average.

Posted by d ca on 05/31/13 at 04:54 PM ET

klank's avatar

Posted by d ca on 05/31/13 at 04:54 PM ET

stylin sweater!

Is it weird that this made my pants a little tight?

no.. not in the slightest.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/31/13 at 05:56 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

Posted by d ca on 05/31/13 at 04:54 PM ET

Very good comparison to St Louis.  I don’t think a pay cut would be needed.  He sure hasn’t slowed down IMO.  His game is mostly skill not speed and some other things that no one in Hockey has ever had.

Now get him a Big Strong Winger!

Posted by OnlyWings on 05/31/13 at 06:01 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Screw it, let’s just give him Frk next year.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/31/13 at 06:27 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I look forward playing here for many years to come.

You better not be screwin’ with us, Pavel. smile

Now that the Wings are in the East, maybe the idea of a more reasonable travel schedule has made him rethink his previous comments about going back to Russia. Or maybe Tick Tock has promised that he’s going to trade Franzen for a puck-moving D-man and replace him with someone like Bickell or Clarkson.

Having both Abdelkader and Bickell/Clarkson on his line could be a huge plus for both Pavel and the Wings. Make it happen Kenny.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/31/13 at 06:44 PM ET

perfection's avatar

you know, this could also maybe be the biggest achievement of this season’s over achieving Wings? Basically, luring back Datsyuk.

Perhaps with the loss of Lids and failing to get the big two FA’s we targeted last offseason, Pav was questioning the future of this team a bit while he was enjoying his time playing at home. But after this year’s success, you get the sense the team is only going to get better and with the Griffins in the conference championships and are jr. and foreign prospects shining, the future of the Wings looks really bright.

The fact is, Pav is never going to play for another NHL squad, but if the Wings suck, I could see it make going home a lot easier for him. Being one goal from the conference championship after already knocking out the supposed second best team in the West maybe gave him firm confidence in the future of the team.

And they are going to be a hell of a lot hungrier next year than they would be if they didn’t make the playoffs or even if they had gotten smoked by the Ducks. But they realized they already can play with anyone and they’re only going to get better.

(but… dammit I hope they buy out Sammy. his contract is terrible for a shrinking cap year. what’s the odds he’ll stay healthy? AND be good? he makes over 3x Abby’s salary. can they still buy out a contract if someone is injured?)

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 05/31/13 at 07:15 PM ET

Youtube uber user, awood40, uploaded a compilation of all Dangles’ 2013 Goals including the playoffs.

Thanks, awould.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/31/13 at 07:24 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Very very happy!  Honestly made my day.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/31/13 at 07:27 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

can they still buy out a contract if someone is injured?

Nope. But the Wings could claim they can’t tell if Sammy is injured because he plays the same whether he’s injured or not. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/31/13 at 07:43 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

doin the snoopy dance yayayayayayyayayayayyayaya

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/31/13 at 09:04 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

this is my all time favorite compilation video of Pav’s from a few years ago

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 05/31/13 at 09:22 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

After the play the Wings have shown this post season, I am optomistic that Detroit is once again a “considerable destination” to free agents. I’m still high on Kenny getting Clarkson from Jersey. And of course, a mobile puck moving D man. Everyone else is a bonus.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/31/13 at 11:02 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I am so gratified to hear him say that he wants to come back.  It really beats winning the cup for me.  There, I said it.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 05/31/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Dear Friends, Thank You for the support you have shown me and The Red Wings. I look forward playing here for many years to come.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/01/13 at 10:08 AM ET