The Malik Report

A conversation with Nicklas Lidstrom, a DeKeyser WDFN interview, a feature on Jarnkrok…And Jagr?

Updated 2x at 12:19 PM: This story qualifies as, "A little late but worth the wait": NHL.com's Brian Hedger spoke to Red Wings...Let's call him "consultant" Nicklas Lidstrom about his role in recruiting Danny DeKeyser, he and his friend Tomas Holmstrom's post-hockey careers, and the high likelihood that Wings fans will learn to pronounce Calle Jarnkrok's name correctly (not "yarn-crock," more like yAIRn-crOOk) within the next year or three:

So, what have you been up to over in Sweden?

"I'm helping out with my 12-year-old's team, being on the ice, being an assistant coach. I'm been doing some scouting for the Wings, looking at some of their players. I'm also going to be an ambassador for the World Championships that are going to be played in Sweden. So, I've got some little things here and there to stay busy. It keeps me going to rinks and going on the ice every now and then. I'm just enjoying being home more, but still going to the rinks.''

Do you miss this, the NHL?

"Yeah, I miss it. I enjoy coming here and meeting the guys and talking to the guys and being in the locker room again. I was here a month and a half ago and it was fun being at the game, the fans and the electricity in the building.''

Lidstrom didn't catch Monday's game against the Avs: he and his family spent the weekend in Detroit and then headed down to Florida for the kids' Easter vacation.

What do you think of the Red Wings going to the Eastern Conference?

"It'll help the team, help the guys traveling-wise, shorter trips. You won't have the long West coast trips where you're gone a long time and you had to adjust to the time difference. It'll help the guys getting ready for the next game.''

Would you have continued playing if they'd moved earlier?

"No. That wasn't part of my decision at all. It probably would have helped me, too, but it wasn't part of my decision.''

As for Jarnkrok, who's a still-undersized 5'11" and about 175 pounds, but has still dazzled for Brynas IF in the Swedish Eliteserien, and has to return to Sweden by April 14th because the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation wants him to put butts in seats during the aforementioned World Championships....

What do you think of Calle Jarnkrok, one of the Red Wings' top forward prospects? Have you seen him play?

"He's a very skilled forward, a very shifty guy, he's quick and he's got quick hands. He sees the ice very well. He's got real good hockey sense. He's a young kid. He needs to get stronger and get used to playing on this ice surface, but he's got a lot of potential.''

He gets compared to Henrik Zetterberg sometimes by the Red Wings front office. Do you see that, too?

"I think you see that. He's got that ability to hang onto the puck and not throw it away unless he has to. He can hold off guys and make that play when there's an opening and wait for that opening, too. You do see a lot of similarities to how Hank is playing.''

Do you think he's pretty close to playing in the NHL?

"I think so. I think he's ready for the next level and see how quick he can adapt to playing on smaller rinks and faster guys. But I know he's ready for that next step, next level.''

Regarding the player Lidstrom helped the Wings land, Danny DeKeyser spoke to WDFN's Matt Sheppard this morning...

Regarding the latter player, Michigan Hockey posted an article penned by Griffinshockey.com's Kyle Kujawa about the Wings' super-prospect...

Jarnkrok is unanimously considered one of the Detroit Red Wings’ top prospects, right up there with Gustav Nyquist, Brendan Smith and Tomas Tatar, depending on which lists you’re looking at. Signed by Detroit last summer, he spent the year in the Swedish Elite League, but is finishing the season in the AHL to get a taste of North American hockey and give the powers-that-be a chance to weigh in on his future.

“We haven’t talked about it so much yet,” said Jarnkrok. “We will see what happens. Maybe I will be in Sweden, or Detroit, or here. I’m not sure.”

Having played at the professional level regularly in Sweden for four seasons, there’s talk that Jarnkrok could be ready to jump directly to the NHL next year. But high numbers don’t always translate across the pond, which is why the Red Wings chose to evaluate him in the AHL to determine the best route.

With the possibility of losing several forwards, like Nyquist, Tatar and Joakim Andersson, permanently to the NHL next season, the Griffins could use another player to slot into a skill role. But Sweden is always an option for Jarnkrok as well, where he’s played for Brynas IF, the team he grew up rooting for.

“It feels great to be able to play for my home town,” said Jarnkrok, a native of Gavle, Sweden. “It’s very good to have an important role on the team and be a guy who scores goals and makes points.”

Jarnkrok explained that playing for Brynas was a dream come true. Growing up in Sweden, many young hockey players follow the NHL, but don’t always get to watch much of the action due to the time difference. Jarnkrok grew up wanting to play for Brynas, only altering his plan once he realized he had a chance to play in the NHL.

“From the beginning I dreamed of playing in the Elite League,” he said. “When I got older, I dreamed of going to the next level and playing with the best. It’s been a dream of both.”

Being selected by the Red Wings 51st overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft was a crucial step in reaching his dream. He grew up idolizing Henrik Zetterberg, and watched the Red Wings rely on Swedish players like Nicklas Lidstrom, Tomas Holmstrom and Niklas Kronwall while winning multiple Stanley Cups.

“I talked to some teams,” he said. “But I had no idea which team was going to pick me. It’s been great being with Detroit. I was so happy.”

And in an unexpected twist, these Tweets popped up while I was writing this...

As a high-maintenance rental? The Wings would have to find the "right price," and that ain't an A-level prospect or 1st rounder at this point.

Update: Via NHLRumorMill on Twitter, the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan posted the following:

Dallas has made its decision and will be trading forward Jaromir Jagr.

At age 41, he isn’t the Jagr of old. But Jagr is still all of 6-foot-3, 240 pounds with the ability to score some goals (14).

The Red Wings have been intrigued with Jagr in the past and surely will kick the tires this time around. But there will likely be a lot of competition. Don’t be surprised if Boston goes absolutely gangbusters in trying to get Jagr to counter everything Pittsburgh has done.

Many teams around the Western Conference have bolstered themselves in the last few days. Getting Jagr would definitely enable the Red Wings to keep pace.

Update #2: MLive's Ansar Khan (via RedWingsFeed) is asking fans to weigh in as to whether the Wings should go after Jagr, too.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

RedMenace's avatar

A resounding NO to Jagr.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/02/13 at 11:58 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Why in the name of God would the Red Wings want Jaromir Jagr?

Can someone give me a single good reason?

Is this a joke?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/02/13 at 12:03 PM ET

He goes to the net and scores goals. Something not a lot of Wings like doing.

Posted by teldar on 04/02/13 at 12:12 PM ET

He goes to the net and scores goals. Something not a lot of Wings like doing.

Posted by teldar on 04/02/13 at 12:12 PM ET

We do.  It’s just that none of them (except for Zata, Miller, and Dangles) ever carry the puck to the net.  Fils doesn’t.  Horse’s Ass doesn’t.  Buckets doesn’t.  And those are top six forwards.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/02/13 at 12:15 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Why in the name of God would the Red Wings want Jaromir Jagr?
Can someone give me a single good reason?
Is this a joke?
Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/02/13 at 12:03 PM ET

His amazing hair and amazing salutes after scoring amazing goals while skating amazingly slow?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/02/13 at 12:16 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Why in the name of God would the Red Wings want Jaromir Jagr?

He’s still very strong, and strong on the puck.  I think he makes your PP better just by showing up.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/02/13 at 12:24 PM ET

Being fast isn’t the be-all, end-all.  He has more points than all but two Red Wings this year.

If he were to decide in the off-season that he wants to play next year and the price is reasonable, I wouldn’t say no.  But I also wouldn’t trade anything for him.

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

If the Wings gave up anything more than a bag of pucks and a firm handshake for Jagr, that would be more of an indictment of Ken Holland than any move he has or hasn’t made in the last five years that people are always b*tching about around here.

It would be a sad, sad desperation move meant to do nothing more than placate the peanut gallery.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/02/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Why in the name of God would the Red Wings want Jaromir Jagr?

1.  So we can say we had him?
2.  His number is available?

(For the life of me cannot think of any other reason)

Posted by Colquhoun on 04/02/13 at 12:28 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

and the price is reasonable

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Of course, but you know it won’t be.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/02/13 at 12:28 PM ET

perfection's avatar

why would the Wings want a rental AT ALL this season?? we should be selling off our rentals IMO. not blowing up the team by any means, but taking what we can get and really putting us in a good position to make moves this summer. I would sure take Jagr, but seeing that a lot of other teams seem themselves as surefire contenders this year, the asking price will certainly be above what I think is worth it. Definitely a no.

But I do think we should try and get a good prospect or top draft pick for Filps if we aren’t going to resign him. Some seasons you go all out at the deadline and some seasons you need to restock. After our offseason losses, this seems like an obvious restocking season, though I still think we can make the playoffs without making any trades… especially if Helmer can ever play again

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/02/13 at 12:32 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

omg, no Jagr PLEASE!

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 04/02/13 at 12:36 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

He’s old enough.  If he can be had for cheap I can see Holland giving up something for Jagr and then attempting to resign him

Posted by gt500x on 04/02/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/02/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Yeah, I don’t think Detroit’s good enough to be in the rental business, though I don’t necessarily think that means they shouldn’t make any deals.

Posted by Garth on 04/02/13 at 12:47 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Jagr?  C’mon, if all we want is an aged, slow guy that loves to shoot the puck. can’t we coax Brett Hull out of retirement for less money? Hell, it looks like Shanny is still in shape…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/02/13 at 12:52 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

As much as the ragging on Jagr’s going on, he’s a point producer and a goal scorer.

I LOVE how WE’RE bitching if we want him to trade, and are ungrateful, stupid.  Yet, if Holland were to sign Jagr, you’d be on board then?

Fuchin’ joke.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/02/13 at 01:05 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I had no idea he was still in the NHL until I saw this thread. Isn’t he eligible for Social Security and an AARP card?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/02/13 at 01:12 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Jagr’s going to Boston. Don’t want to deal with his ego, his bad hip flexors or groin, etc.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/02/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Exhale.  Jagr to Boston

Posted by Colquhoun on 04/02/13 at 01:15 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/02/13 at 01:12 PM ET

I dare to find a single grey hair in his wondrous, magical locks.

DARE.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/02/13 at 01:16 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

And by Jagr to Boston you actually mean Jagr to Pittsburgh? smile

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/02/13 at 01:19 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/02/13 at 01:15 PM ET

We’d rather have Sammy’s, or Gus’s or Bert’s back or Carlo’s shoulder.. but for the record, Jagr played 82 games his last 3 years with the Rangers and 73 and 50+ points his last full season.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/02/13 at 01:28 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

the trade “show” tomorrow will be boring and lethargic just like last years. Everything happening today already it seems. Im to the point I could care less whether we acquire anyone or not. Nothing will change and players we could get even later round draft picks for will just walk free and clear. If your not gonna make a move, then put the damned players in to play NOW, that you plan on using and signing next year. Get some more ice time for those players instead of dickin’ around! [/rant off]

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/02/13 at 01:48 PM ET