The Malik Report

5 and a game will do for Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi

Update 1:55 PM: for some reason, Sportsnet claims that Bertuzzi’s been fined an unspecified amount: As Paul reported, the NHL has apparently decided that giving Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi a 5-minute major, 10-minute misconduct and game misconduct for elbowing Chicago Blackhawks forward Ryan Johnson was enough punishment for #44, and will not suspend or fine Bertuzzi for his hit. Red Wings GM Ken Holland confirms, as the Free Press’s Helene St. James notes:

Detroit Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi will not face any further disciplinary action for his hit on Chicago forward Ryan Johnson in Monday night’s game.

“I talked to the league – no suspension for Bert,” Wings general manager Ken Holland said this morning.

ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the Sporting News’s Craig Custance and the Detroit News‘s Ted Kulfan confirm [edit: as does MLive’s Ansar Khan].

Update: The Red Wings also posted a comment regarding the news, per Bill Roose:

he Red Wings have been told that Todd Bertuzzi will not face additional disciplinary action from the NHL for a first-period hit that earned the veteran power forward a game-misconduct, his first ejection in more than seven years.

Bertuzzi earned a five-minute major penalty for elbowing and a game-misconduct when he hit Blackhawks center Ryan Johnson in the head during the Red Wings’ 3-2 overtime loss Monday.

The Red Wings held an optional practice Tuesday morning at Joe Louis Arena. Bertuzzi, who left The Joe shortly after his game ejection, did skate Tuesday, along with Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Joey MacDonald, Chris Osgood and Jimmy Howard.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

And the Pengwine “fans” show up in 3. 2. 1….....

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 03/29/11 at 01:45 PM ET

Good news - considering the worst I was looking for from “Colie” was two games.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 03/29/11 at 02:07 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

What’s the point of giving a guy a 10-min misconduct when he is already being given a game??

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 03/29/11 at 02:22 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I must be a total Homer because even my eyes are telling me that that was a dive.. Berts arm pulled it off as he pulled his arm over the guy.. principle contact did NOT look to be the head.. am I losing it?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/29/11 at 02:37 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I think the 5-10-and-a-game is standard practice.

As for the ruling, I’m gonna shrug my shoulders and say that the NHL remains consistently inconsistent here. Given past practice, the NHL tends to prefer to leave players who’ve been given 5-and-a-game for a hit that didn’t result in an injury early in a game alone with that penalty, but in theory, Campbell should have “sent a warning” based on the new protocols.

I’m just glad that Johnson wasn’t seriously injured, first and foremost, and that Bertuzzi was remorseful about the hit, because while he didn’t mean to hurt Johnson, intent does not excuse you from culpability for the results of your actions. Bert knows that more than anybody.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/29/11 at 03:12 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/29/11 at 01:37 PM ET

I’m with ya.  Even my wife was calling Johnson a p**sy

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/29/11 at 04:02 PM ET

I’m with ya.  Even my wife was calling Johnson a p**sy

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/29/11 at 03:02 PM ET

You lucky sonuvabitch.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 03/29/11 at 06:06 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

That was a hip check with a smell-the-pit follow through on a kid with his head down.

Were that the old bert, he’d be looking for his chicklets on the ice for the next 20…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 03/30/11 at 05:01 AM ET