The Malik Report

Audio/Video- 14 Minutes Of Mike Babcock

via Sportsnet,

Mike Babcock joined PTS (Prime Time Sports) to talk about the Red Wings’ position in the playoff race, and how they’ve managed to keep pace without their captain Henrik Zetterberg and all-star Pavel Datsyuk.

Much more too.  I listened live and if you have 14 minutes to spare, I suggest you do the same.

You will be listening to host Bob McCown and Elliotte Friedman along with Babcock...

Update: Here's the audio with a download link:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

We never hear Babcock talk like this on local radio/TV.

Very refreshing to me though.

On a side note, about an hour before Babcock was on, his name came up again as a possible coach for the Leafs.

Friedman basically shot it down but Kyrpreos was on at that time too and said Babcock loves the big stage and their is no bigger stage than Toronto.

Kypreos also said it is known some of the organization and players don’t like Babcock.

But Friedman stepped in and said true, but they all know how to win because of him.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/01/14 at 08:02 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I know some who frequent this site will have a different opinion, but this guy is without question the Smartest Coach in ALL of sports.

I definitely can see/hear a ton of Scotty in this guy when he speaks.

As for some players not liking him? Ask Stevie,Shanny,Homer, Fedorov…..etc. if they always liked Scotty?

The ducks did this organization the biggest favor by letting this guy go. The illitches should present him with a long term contract now, before this Leaf stuff can build momentum.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/01/14 at 09:13 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Got the MP3 up.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/01/14 at 09:20 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Good listen—thanks for the heads up.

Posted by SK77 on 04/01/14 at 10:03 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I think Babs is smart enough to look at the dysfunction of the Laffs organization and say heck no. For all of our complaints about Holland as of late and Illitch’s supposed love for the Tigers over the Wings as of late…this is still the best organ-i-zation in the league.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/01/14 at 10:18 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Cool to hear him stick up for his guys so quickly and rather angrily in the beginning there.  One thing you can’t say about Babs is that he isn’t passionate.  Although he may have his whipping boys he defends his team as a whole.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 04/01/14 at 11:02 PM ET

Howard was the #1 Goalie in last year’s playoffs.

Posted by howeandhowe on 04/01/14 at 11:28 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Thanks for this, George.

I’ve never heard this long of an interview by Babcock before and it was nice to hear:

* him mention the offensive stars’ disbelief at first that they have to back-check,
* him shoot down the idea that some folks should be allowed to slide defensively “just like you don’t force everyone to be offensive,” - that’s the philosophy losing teams have.
* how he worries about the centers first and their play with and without the puck, “and then the wings’ll get figured out,”
* how Datsyuk is trusted to the point, and honest enough, that Datsyuk says when he’s ready to go(given no veto b md’s) & Datsyuk says if he’s not game-shape ready for C and will play LW instead

Good stuff.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 04/02/14 at 04:07 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

The boss man found this puppy while I was taking a long nap, so give Paul the credit here. I just uploaded the MP3 he sent me via email to my Soundcloud pro account.*

My “most interesting” from this one involved Babcock’s comment about his roster philosophy—his statement that he wants to build up the middle and on the back end tells me that we may not see Glendening “Nyquist’d” in the AHL, even if he costs somebody else a roster spot next year, and it explains why he was so stubborn regarding keeping Cory Emmerton on the roster.

I *hope* it also means that the Wings plan on improving that “back end” this summer…

And the comment about giving Datsyuk a hug is hilarious.

*Please note that I *always* enable downloads when I post those MP3’s. If I can listen to ‘em on my computer/tablet/phone, I want to make sure that you can go ahead and do the same.

I think it’s very important that you don’t have to hang out on our webpage to listen, and I hope posting the MP3 gave you some relief from having to watch Bob McCown wear his sunglasses at night (perhaps to see the colors of his dreams).

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 04/02/14 at 04:25 AM ET