The Confluence

With Titanium Plates, Crosby’s Jaw Expected To Heal Quickly

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Dave Molinari:

The type of jaw surgery that Sidney Crosby endured last weekend after being hit in the face with a puck should, at the latest, allow him to return to game action by the time the playoffs begin in a month, experts say.

"As long as he keeps his nourishment up -- and he should since he's not wired shut -- he should be good to go in three to four weeks," said David Dattilo, director of oral and maxillofacial surgery for West Penn Allegheny Health System.

The timing and the jaw injury itself appear to be similar to what Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger experienced in 2006 when his motorcycle collided with a car whose driver failed to yield and turned left in front of him. The accident occurred a month before preseason camp was to begin.

Mr. Roethlisberger, who was not wearing a helmet, also did not have his jaw wired shut and was in camp on time that year.

Continue Reading:

Filed in: | The Confluence | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

Call Sid whatever you want, but dont’ ever call him ‘lucky’, at least on the injury front.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/02/13 at 08:52 AM ET

Tony's avatar

That’s for sure….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 04/02/13 at 08:58 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I’d say Snake Bit snake

Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/13 at 09:05 AM ET

after reading this article, i feel like he is going to be back a whole lot quicker than i was orginally thinking.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/02/13 at 09:20 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

Sorry Pens fans, this is all my fault.  I have Crosby, Martin, and Fleury on my fantasy team and they all go down the same week.  My punishment as a Wings fan for trying to ride the Pens to a fantasy championship.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/02/13 at 09:23 AM ET

for trying to ride the Pens to a fantasy championship.

why limit yourself to fantasy?

for trying to ride the Pens to a championship.

there, much better.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/02/13 at 09:41 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

for trying to ride the Pens to a fantasy championship.

why limit yourself to fantasy?

for trying to ride the Pens to a championship.

there, much better.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/02/13 at 10:41 AM ET

Sorry, not a bandwagoner.  You guys have a great shot at winning this year, but I root for the Wings, and only the Wings.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/02/13 at 09:46 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by John W

What?!? As far as I can see, its working perfectly!
Keep putting them on your fantasy team, if they keep getting injured!

=D

Posted by Zqto on 04/02/13 at 10:03 AM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I was hoping this was all an April’s fool joke, I guess not.
Anyway, this dude’s prognosis doesn’t seem as bad as I was starting to believe. We’ll see.
Let’s Go Pens!!!

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 04/02/13 at 01:56 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-