by Tony on 05/13/10 at 04:02 PM ET
As Paul teased me about last night on Twitter, my playoff beard was gone not five minutes after the final seconds had ticked off the old barn’s clock in the Penguins’ 5-2 defeat at the hands of the Canadiens.
It was arguably the worst performance in recent Penguins playoff history. Forget about it being Game Seven and all, that just magnifies how the Pens stunk up the joint.
But it really was a microcosm of the Penguins season, when you think about it: Poor goaltending, poor defensive positioning, poor power play, et cetera, et cetera.
So I’ve got about a zillion questions racing around my nimble brain, I’m still a little fried from last night. In absolutely no particular order, I’m just wondering:
- Have we seen the last of Sergei Gonchar in a Penguins uniform? If it is, boy did Sarge go out on a stinker. “Dis-interested” seems too harsh a word, but damn if it isn’t accurate for a few plays.
- Have we seen the last of Bill Guerin in a Penguins uniform? (No, not going down the entire list of UFA’s today, save that for down the road)
- Do you think NHL GM’s took more than a few notes on how to defend Crosby and Malkin after this series? Now I realize that planning to stop them and actually doing it are two different things, but you’ve gotta tip your hat to Gill and Gorges, they did an outstanding job on Sid and Geno.
- There’s plenty of blame to go around, you simply must place some, not all, but some of the blame with Crosby and Malkin. Whatever the reason, whether that be great defense, outstanding goaltending, or a combination of the two, their collective lack of production was a significant factor.
- I’ll be the first to tell you that I have no clue about French Canadian culture, but you gotta be a couple sandwiches short of a picnic to bring a frickin’ monkey puppet with you in your $300 seat behind the Penguins’ bench.
- I heard some dingbat actually blow a horn to start a “Let’s Go Pens” chant, a’ la the Phone Booth in Washington. That lasted about five seconds before the organist put an abrupt stop to it.
- Don’t look now, but last I checked Brooks Orpik is still aimlessly cross-checking Maxim Lapierre into the back of the Pens’ net, thereby putting himself woefully out of position so Cammalleri can score.
- Pens fans, I’m with ya all the way, but what in Sam Hill happened to allow so many Habs fans in the building last night? Are they faster with their mouse fingers? Quicker Internet connections? I admit that I wasn’t a fan of the Pens shutting out the Wings fans during the Finals, and definitely don’t agree with all of the tactics that Ted Leonsis does in Washington to keep Pens fans out, but I’ll just say that I was shocked to see how many Habs fans got tickets to a Game Seven.
- I’m gonna repeat what I tweeted last night. I’m not crying over spilled milk, but the boarding call to Crosby ten seconds into the game was absolutely a horseshit call.
- What to say about Marc-Andre Fleury. Dude needs to clear his head back home for a while. Decline any invites to the Worlds. Take a bunch of time off, then start working out, get your stuff straight and come back ready to go for camp. For us fans, I think at this point we’re just going to have to accept that Fleury is going to be a goalie that we won’t know “which Fleury” we’re gonna get game to game. Yes, I know he’s STILL only 25, so Marc, please prove me wrong.
- We’ll most likely start hearing word about some injuries like we always do in the coming days. One player that I’ve heard may be banged up is Orpik. Also interested to hear the extent of Staal’s foot injury as well.
I could go on for a while, but unfortunately there’s plenty of time to talk, isn’t there.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Confluence
Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.
Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.
I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins. My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes. I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.
If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-