by Tony on 02/20/11 at 04:02 PM ET
Just some quick blurbs as we await the Sunday afternoon matinée between the Penguins and Blackhawks:
- As the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox accurately pointed out this morning, Don Cherry’s proclaiming of Mario Lemieux as a hypocrite is a bit, well, hypocritical. This coming from a guy that has created 22 videos called “Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Hockey”, no doubt earning him hundreds of thousands of dollars, probably more.
And by the way, as the Pittsburgh Post Gazette’s Empty Netters’ Seth Rorabaugh mentioned this morning, let’s not overlook the decades-long bias against French-Canadian hockey players (as well as European) Cherry has become infamous for. Don’t think that has nothing to do with it.
- This small statement as Matt Cooke returns to action in Chicago today following his four-game suspension: If/when the day comes the Penguins ever release Cooke, the line for his suitors would be around the block, and yes, it includes your favorite team.
- In all seriousness though, I’m going to be interesting to see how Cooke plays for the remainder of this year, and going forward.
- A full eight Penguins are currently on Injured Reserve.
- Forgive me for not towing the company line that Tyler Kennedy is all of a sudden “back”. Yes of course, it’s nice to see TK generating some offense finally, with five goals in his last eight games. But he’s also shown that he can just as quickly not score in his next 20.
- Speaking of not scoring, if it were not for an empty netter against the Islanders on Feb. 2nd, Max Talbot would be scoreless in his last 33 games.
- A few milestones on the horizon, courtesy of the Penguins’ press notes for the game today: Zbynek Michalek is 2 assists away from 100, Kris Letang is 5 assists from 100 and Cooke is 6 points from 300 and 8 games from 800 in his career.
- It wasn’t too long ago that there might have been one Penguin that was a minus player. Well now, with a rash of injuries and AHL callups, there are 12, led by Michalek with a team-low -8.
- A lot is being made about the Penguins last matchup vs. the Islanders after the fiasco, which is Apr. 8th on Long Island. My buddies at The Pensblog are spearheading things for a road trip. While that should be fun, it needs to be remembered that the game vs. the Isles is the next to last game of the year, and most likely will have playoff match-up repercussions.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About The Confluence
Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.
Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.
I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins. My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes. I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.
If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-