The Confluence

Rossi:  Pens Plan on Reaching Agreements with Kennedy, Jagr Before Friday

From the Twitter feed of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review’s Rob Rossi:

More tomorrow, but I’m hearing #Pens plan to reach agreements with (Tyler) Kennedy and (Jaromir) Jagr before Friday #tribpens #jagrwatch

Filed in: Pittsburgh Penguins, | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

Lindas1st's avatar

interesting.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/27/11 at 09:51 PM ET

So confused now….

Getting both at the right price though would be great.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 06/27/11 at 10:00 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Oh Good Lord I thought we were rid of ManBearPig

Posted by Evilpens on 06/27/11 at 10:00 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

RobRossi_TribRob Rossi

Hearing #Pens want keep Kennedy (multiyear), handshake with Jagr (1-year), ink Dupuis and/or Rupp; seek clarity on all by Friday #tribpens

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/27/11 at 10:52 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Take him. Wings don’t need him.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/27/11 at 11:02 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I won’t deny there could be a lot of potential for success if Jagr joined the Wings, but I’m mostly glad he is someone else’s problem.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/27/11 at 11:07 PM ET

Man the Modano thing really left a sour taste in a lot of you guys’ mouths. How we forget about, Robitalle, Hull, Hasek, hell even Larry Murphy. Those worked out pretty well. Then you got the KHL excuse from some people. This isn’t Jiri Hudler. I think Hudlers biggest problem is he’s worried about getting blasted again, like he did before he left for the KHL. Jagr has played well in the KHL, but I think the biggest reason to be optimistic, is his play at the worlds. If any team besides the Penguins can keep Jagrs ego down its Detroit. I was really hoping he’d head to the D. I think he’s gonna have a great year, whether he ends up in Pittsburgh or Detroit. A lot of you are going to end up saying man i wish he’d ended up in Detroit. If i’m wrong I’ll come back and take the I told ya so. But I really do believe that were all going to be wondering what might have been, if he doesn’t sign, and we don’t make it to the finals. And believe me, I have never been a fan of Jagr’s.

Posted by T on 06/27/11 at 11:52 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by T on 06/27/11 at 10:52 PM ET

Everybody knows Jagr’s capabilities (at least what he was capable of doing), but I think a lot of Wings fans don’t like all of the other things he potentially brings to the table.  I don’t this has as much to do with Modano either, none of those guys you mentioned have prima donna issues like Jagr has had in the past.  Every Wing cares more about the logo on the front of his sweater than the name on the back (or at least I like to think so), I just doubt Jagr will show up with that attitude.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/27/11 at 11:57 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Thank f*cking God. He’s all yours, Pens.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 06/28/11 at 12:07 AM ET

If that were the case, I don’t think Ken Holland would have offered him a contract. Especially a contract that has been higher then everyone else. That rarely happens with Ken Holland, which leads me to believe that they went over the prima dona part. Sergei had Jagr’s condition and they held it together long enough. I believe they can get Jagr to hold it together for a year.

Posted by T on 06/28/11 at 12:08 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by T on 06/27/11 at 10:52 PM ET

World-class concern troll.

9/10

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 06/28/11 at 12:09 AM ET

Brett Hull had a little bit of it.

Posted by T on 06/28/11 at 12:10 AM ET

Wow, I didn’t know stating my opinion was being a troll.

Posted by T on 06/28/11 at 12:11 AM ET

SK77's avatar

It’s funny because right after the Worlds I was listening to a few pundits talk about if Jagr DID come back to the NHL that a lot of people would be disappointed because while he’d just gotten a hat trick the night before, his speed is not there nor the inclination to play well day in and day out. He’s a good player, but he’s not JAGR anymore.

And as a Wings fan, the one thing that drives the majority of us nuts is a player that doesn’t play hard day in and day out. Sure, Jagr might pot more goals, but we love us some players without the craziest skills on Earth, like Eaves, Abdelkader, and Miller, because those guys bring it each and every night.

As for the Modano thing leaving a sour taste, not at all. That was just some crap luck. But at the same time, before Modano even showed up you knew you could throw Mikey on the 3rd or 4th line and still use him for something.

How ugly do you think it’d be once Babcock finally gets sick of him floating and knocks his ass down to the 3rd line? Or gives him 8 minutes because of his loafing and lack of backchecking? UGLY.

That being said, I like the idea of him going “home” to the Penguins. Good luck, man!

Posted by SK77 on 06/28/11 at 12:13 AM ET

The playing D part is my biggest concern. But i think the reward outweighs the risk. He may not be as fast as he used to be, but as long as he can put the puck in the net, and he tries to play at both ends of the ice then sign on. And like I said, I’d have to think that Holland and Babs went over that when before they offered him a contract. Hull didn’t play D and he wasn’t that fast, but with Pavel feeding him he put up numbers.

Posted by T on 06/28/11 at 12:18 AM ET

SK77's avatar

The thing is though, Hull came straight from another NHL team. I’m not trying to badmouth the KHL here, but based upon being there for the last three seasons it’s really, really difficult to gauge how he’s going to do with a full NHL schedule. And going ahead and trying to gauge how he’s going to do doesn’t exactly instill confidence right now.

Posted by SK77 on 06/28/11 at 12:32 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Pens Plan on Reaching Agreements with ... Jagr Before Friday

I think Brooks Laich’s agent just got a big smile on his face. I know I did.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/28/11 at 12:57 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Given the free agency pool, I have no problem with taking a chance on Jagr for one year at a manageable amount. We’ll have enough hardworking players on the roster to compensate for occasional Jagr deficiencies in that department. His adjustment from around 60 games including the playoffs in the KHL to at least 82 after a three year absence will be interesting to watch. It’s possible if Jagr is serious about his pre-season workouts with a little help from proper ice time management.

I’m less infatuated with Kennedy on a multi-year contract, but everything depends on the numbers involved.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/28/11 at 06:51 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/28/11 at 05:51 AM ET

Curious, why is that?  He’s 24 and popped in 20 last season, not seeing them play regularly I’d be curious to hear why you’d be apprehensive to commit to doubling his salary for three or four years.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/28/11 at 10:55 AM ET

Moq's avatar

A doubling of his salary to around $1.5M would be acceptable, it’s tripling or more that worries me.

Kennedy has scrappy, hardworking qualities, and a willingness to shoot the puck from everywhere, who doesn’t kill penaties. It took 234 shots to pot those 20 goals, which is a bit ineffective, and I don’t think he has a lot of ceiling left offensively (in my opinion). That makes him an ideal third liner, but not a regular contributor on the top lines.

Giving him $2M a year won’t be a financial disaster, but I don’t think he’s worth it. That being said, he’ll probably get signed and given an opportunity to prove me wrong.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/28/11 at 01:30 PM ET