The Confluence

Report:  Letang Re-Signs with Penguins - 8 years, $58 million

Filed in: | The Confluence | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

@RobRossi_Trib: #TribHKY UPDATE. It’s NOT DONE between Letang and #pens. Close, but not done, per agent Kent Hughes.”

Posted by Evilpens on 06/30/13 at 10:19 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Semantics….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/30/13 at 10:24 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I Know & it cements this teams continuing failure, Crap the bed in the Playoffs 4 straight yrs. Keep the team together & especially keep one of the DUMBEST Hockey Players I have ever watched & with RW’s moving to east & BJ’s actually having competent FO now the Pens in even bigger trouble, Maybe someone can pull ML off the Golf Course or his wine cellar to tell him what is happening.

Cooke & Dupuis are Gone & Jack Adams illegitimate twin sons will play every game again & Engo & this seasons version of Marcia Eaton will play over Despres

Posted by Evilpens on 06/30/13 at 10:34 AM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Tony, do you like the deal, or would you rather Letang traded/not signed? Also, the BJ’s have definitely been improving. With how close Pitt and Ohio are, if the BJ’s continue to improve, I imagine there could be a nice rivalry there in the next few years.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 06/30/13 at 10:42 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I am not happy. I would have much preferred the Pens trade him and get a huge return than to ever pay him anything over $6.5M. He is a great offensive defenseman, but he defensive skills are not worth the money. Using that money to get the team a new franchise defenseman that could have been a good way to really change things up without ruining the core.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 06/30/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Tony's avatar

I was mentally prepared for the trade….

Having said that, Letang’s presence is more of an asset than a liability, his defensive shortcomings noted…..

I do worry about the bottom six forwards now though, extremely top-heavy roster now, even more than it was before….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/30/13 at 11:13 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Hey but they can trade Joe Morrow for a Wing eerrrrrrr wait he was traded for the Broken down running on fumes Brenden Morrow & should have drafted Brandon Saad that draft anyways BUT Shero wants to have D Prospects so he can turn them into W’s if needed Like J Morrow For B Morrow sick

In all honestly antything they do is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic with Shero In charge & Clown Fart Inc. still coaching

Posted by Evilpens on 06/30/13 at 11:23 AM ET

LiteWork's avatar

So Letang is going to make more money per year than anyone on Chicago. ROFL.

Posted by LiteWork on 06/30/13 at 01:41 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

VERY good news.

Like I’ve been saying, this won’t hurt them cap-wise as much as everyone is fretting. Extension doesn’t kick in until 2014-15 and by then the cap will probably be around what it is now ($70 million-ish).

They’d essentially be able to field the same team they did at the beginning of this year and still have more than $5 million cap room. (Obviously they WON’T be fielding the same team since TK is gone and probably so is Dupuis - but I mean it in the sense of salary-wise). Add that into the fact that we’ll be getting a look at some of the young d-men and Beau Bennett will have a larger role going forward - those guys will be cheaper for a while.

And, EP…“keeping the team together?” Really? Tell me what the roster turnover has been since 2010.

Please.

Jesus, a THIRD of their roster has changed since Game 6 in Philly. They go out and get guys at the trade deadline every year. They traded Staal. They traded Michalek.

That’s a lot of f*cking change if you ask me.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 06/30/13 at 03:10 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-