The Confluence

Q&A with Ray Shero on Iginla Trade

From the Pittsburgh Penguins' Sam Kasan:

Twitter seemed convinced that the Boston Bruins had landed Iginla. Were you following any of that or know about other teams vying for him?
I saw some of that. I never asked Calgary who was involved. I had no idea. It was just what I read or saw. It didn’t really matter what other teams are doing. You have to do what’s best for yourself and be prepared to pay what you’re willing to pay, not more or less. You try to do a fair deal with everybody.

Did you speak with Jarome to persuade him to waive his no-trade clause as you had with Brenden Morrow? If so, what did you say to convince him to join the Penguins and what else did you discuss?
I just talked to him after the fact. That was it. He agreed to waive and come to Pittsburgh. The trade conference call was done with the league. Everything was final. That was it. I talked to him a while ago after it. He said he was excited to come to Pittsburgh. He said he would help anyway he could, didn’t care about role or who he was playing with. He wants to help the team win and be a part of it. It was a big change after 16 years in Calgary so I’m sure it will be quite emotional. We have a month sort through the emotions, find some roles for guys, players accepting of those and playing good hockey. The team on paper doesn’t mean too much. We have to do it on the ice. Chemistry for a hockey team is very important.

Continue Reading:

Filed in: | The Confluence | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Still Shaking My Head Agostino, Hanowski & a 1st ?? Agostion is in the Pens 2nd tier of DMen Prospects & Hanowski has Great Hands but is SLOW & a late 1st rd. & of course Rob Rossi tweeted he would put Iginla on the 3rd Line ??  gulp

Posted by Evilpens on 03/28/13 at 07:42 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I sure hope he’s not on the 3rd line.

Hopefully it will be:
Kunitz-Sid-Iggy
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
A lot of options for 4th line

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 03/28/13 at 08:30 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Iginla will be a fantastic addition for a cup run…
He brings character, leadership, toughness & scoring ability.

Posted by w2j2 on 03/28/13 at 08:39 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

I could see them shifting Kunitz back to Malkin’s wing and having Dupuis and Iginla playing on Sid’s wings with Morrow on Sutter’s flank.

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
TK-Glass-Adams-Vitale-Jeffrey

I think the most likely lines will be Kunitz & Iginla with Sid and Morrow & Neal with Geno, though.  Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis as a 3rd line?  Please and thank you.  Very much.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/28/13 at 09:30 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Yankees of the NHL=Pittsburgh Penguins

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/28/13 at 11:31 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Other than that pesky salary cap….

This really started a year ago at this time… Shero did absolutely nothing at last year’s trade deadline, and combined with his offseason moves, left boatloads of cash under the cap for this year….

Now as others have already mentioned, this is only gonna last this season….. The cap goes down to $64M next season, not to mention big $$$ pending extensions to both Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang….

So sure, they’re going for it now, but most likely all 3 of these trade rentals won’t be back…..

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 03/28/13 at 05:53 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-