The Confluence

Pens Post-Season Meetings:  Crosby Suffered Setback Last Week

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby is meeting with the media after today’s post-season meetings with the coaching staff, and has confirmed what many had suspected:  He suffered a setback last week.

“I was working out and skating, but had a little bit of symptoms so I had to take a step back,” Crosby said. “All the stuff that comes with it. Up to that point the progression had gone pretty well, but at the same time I still wasn’t ready.

“(It’s) frustrating. My expectation was that I wouldn’t play, but I was trying to make sure that if there was any chance and it was possible to comeback, that I was ready and did everything I could to be ready for that. It’s frustrating and disappointing. You can’t really control any of that. All I can control is what I was doing off the ice and trying to rehab. Unfortunately it didn’t work out.”

Crosby also indicated that he now believes he suffered two separate concussions from the David Steckel and Victor Hedman hits on Jan 1st and 5th, respectively.

Other stuff:

- Evgeni Malkin estimated that he could have returned if the Penguins had reached the Conference Finals.  Malkin’s knee surgery was not as intensive as previously thought.

- James Neal is headed to Slovakia to represent Team Canada in the World Championships.

- Penguins’ Head Coach Dan Bylsma was nominated as a finalist for the Jack Adams trophy, along with Nashville’s Barry Trotz and Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault.

- Max Talbot, when asked about his future with the Penguins, stated “Ray will talk to Dan and we’ll see if I’m still in the plans”.

Filed in: Pittsburgh Penguins, | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

I’d like to know if/why Staal, Letang, and Fleury are/aren’t going to the World Championships. It was mentioned before the playoffs that Roloson or Fleury would be asked to join, seeing as Canada has James Reimer (GM Dave Nonis) and Devan Dubnyk over there.

I see now Jonathon Bernier was just added, along with Carlo Colaiacovo, Marc-André Gragnani, and Mario Scalzo. I really hope those Penguins turned it down as opposed to not being asked. That’s shit if they turned it down just because.

Posted by NathanBC on 04/29/11 at 03:51 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Fleury and Letang declined, haven’t heard about Staal….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 04/29/11 at 03:53 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Hey Tony, I didn’t follow the story too closely, so did anyone from the Pens’ medical/training staff get fired over the Crosby incidents?

As an outsider, I still wonder how they let him play after the Steckel hit. He may have been back in the lineup a lot sooner if he didn’t suffer the second concussion, and who knows what may have transpired. Then to read that apparently they didn’t realize how much less severe Malkin’s knee injury was until he was on the table? Who the hell is running the show, because they seem to be doing a terrible job.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 04/29/11 at 03:56 PM ET

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 04/29/11 at 01:53 PM ET

I hope they have legitimate reasons (medical, family) because Hockey Canada really frowns upon a guy declining just because, especially after only one round - they won’t be first on the list the next time a chance to play for Canada comes up. They had a nice long rest last summer too.

Posted by NathanBC on 04/29/11 at 03:57 PM ET

Tony's avatar

No one was fired, but naturally, those questions are being asked after today’s statements by Crosby….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 04/29/11 at 03:59 PM ET

Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 04/29/11 at 01:56 PM ET

After the Steckel hit Crosby said publicly he only had neck pain similar to neck tweaks he’s had in the past. He didn’t have the other concussion symptoms until after the Hedman hit. There were four days between those games. Obviously they didn’t err on the side of caution.

Malkin’s diagnosis wasn’t able to be fully fleshed out until they physically went in there for surgery, it’s been said.

Posted by NathanBC on 04/29/11 at 04:01 PM ET

Posted by Alzy from Innisfail, Alberta, Canada on 04/29/11 at 01:56 PM ET

Those are good questions, especially about Malkin.

*Penguins medical staff-torn MCL/ACL. Requires surgery to reattach.

*Surgeon-fixing the ACL’s no problem, but how am I supposed to reattach an MCL that’s not detached?

With Crosby, they either took him at his word that there was nothing wrong with him (which doctors aren’t supposed to do with concussions) or he didn’t have any symptoms until the second hit, which is also possible. Remember Clutterbuck played the next game after that Neanderthal put his head into the glass, before missing the next five.

The PA is supposedly having an education campaign about head injuries in the off-season. It is sorely needed.

Just the other day, Jacques Martin kept Halpern on the bench despite being so groggy he couldn’t stand without a trainer’s help. A week before that, Boudreau put Mike Green on the ice after taking a slapshot to the head. Green has had three concussions this year, not including that one (if it was a concussion).

Keith Primeau recently expressed concern that the NHL thinks of concussions like they think of high ankle sprains—a gimmick injury that’s happening a lot by coincidence.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/29/11 at 04:14 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The Pens have 2 different set of Rules The Rest of the team & Sid’s Rules

That is & has been a Problem & this time it bit them in the ass with allowing Sid to tell them he was Fine without running tests on him

Sid is a Big part of the problem he gets upset because the guys don’t treat him like 1 of the guys ie practical jokes, ripping on him what have y, Sid Has to understand IF you want to be “1 of the Guys” you have to be 100% “1 Of the Guys” in other words you live by the EXACT same rules as all the other Guys. No telling the coaching who you want on your Line & telling them where you will play on the PP

I knew he had 2 Different Concussions & he & the Pens were LYING through their teeth.

I hope this episode with Sid scares them Straight ! so to speak

Posted by Evilpens on 04/29/11 at 04:35 PM ET

Anyone else feel like it is too coincidental that the penguins went downhill in the series right around the time Crosby stopped skating.  It was almost like the team kept telling themselves if they can win just one more Sid might be back, but after seeing him take a step back it sort of let the air out of their sails.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/29/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The Pens were Tired & BLATANTLY Outcoached in the last 3 games !

Posted by Evilpens on 04/29/11 at 05:34 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

That sucks. I can’t stand the little whiner, but I wouldn’t wish that on anybody. The NHL didn’t do squat about concussions in the 90’s when Lindros was forced to retire, I don’t expect they’ll do much when rosby is forced to retire either. And if I were in rosby’s skates, I would retire right now. He has his cup, gold medal, individual honors. Why risk all the crap you see the retired NFL players going through just for more?

On a side note, anyone else think that hockey helmet designs are woefully short of padding compared to football or motorcycle helmets? I know the motorcycle thing sounds crazy, but these guys skate around on a rock-hard surface at speeds that motorcyclists ride around town.

Helluva season by the Pens to not fold their tents after rosby and geno went down.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/29/11 at 06:52 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Padding has very little to do with Concussions, It is the Whiplash effect & your Brain Slamming off your Skull

Posted by Evilpens on 04/29/11 at 07:09 PM ET

he gets upset because the guys don’t treat him like 1 of the guys ie practical jokes, ripping on him what have y, Sid Has to understand IF you want to be “1 of the Guys” you have to be 100% “1 Of the Guys””

What the hell are you talking about? Where do you get that from?

Posted by NathanBC on 04/29/11 at 07:45 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 04/29/11 at 05:09 PM

Padding has everything to do with concussions. Padding distributes the sudden decelerative forces on the skull over a longer period of time, thus reducing the decelerative forces at any given point in time. Lessening the decelerative force applied to the skull reduces the deceleration of the brain inside the skull.

You will be able to tell when the NHL takes head injuries seriously when they ban hard shell plastic shoulder pads and elbow pads. Those two items are hitting the face and jaw causing many of the concussions. The mouth pieces that players wear are an attempt to mitigate that risk. Don Cherry has been lobbying for this change for years.

The pads would be required to have an internal structure rather than the hard exoskeleton of current pads. Pads 15-20 years ago used to be constructed this way. Look for pictures of Chelios (I don’t think he every switched to the newer style of pads) to see what I’m talking about.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/29/11 at 08:18 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

My bad, the NHL has banned hard shell elbow pads under rule 12.3. AFAIK, hard shell shoulder pads are still legal.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/29/11 at 08:24 PM ET