The Confluence

Penguins sign defenseman Andrew Hutchinson to one-year deal

From the Penguins:

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with defenseman Andrew Hutchinson, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal is for the 2010-11 season and is a two-way contract that will pay Hutchinson $500,000 at the NHL level.

Hutchinson, 30, has played in 135 NHL games in his career during stops in Dallas, Tampa Bay, Carolina and Nashville. He has recorded 38 points on 12 goals and 26 assists.

Hutchinson, a right-handed shooting defenseman, played in 78 games for Dallas’ top minor-league affiliate, the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League, in 2009-10. He posted nine goals and 38 points in the regular season. Hutchinson added 16 points (5G-11A) in 21 playoff contests to help Texas earn a berth in the Calder Cup Final.

Hutchinson (6-foot-2, 198 pounds) was originally drafted by Nashville in the second round (54th overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, and made his NHL debut in 2003-04 with the Predators. That year Hutchinson saw action in 46 games for Milwaukee of the AHL, scoring 12 goals and 24 points. He chipped in 16 points (5G-11A) in 22 postseason contests to help the Admirals win the Calder Cup title.

Hutchinson served as captain for the AHL’s Hartford Wolfpack in 2007-08. That season he totaled 18 goals and 64 points en route to winning the Eddie Shore Award as the AHL’s defenseman of the year. His 46 assists and 64 points were the most in the league by a blueliner, while his 18 goals ranked third.

The Evanston, Illinois native played four collegiate seasons with Michigan State University. Hutchinson posted 78 points (19G-59A) in 160 career NCAA games.

Filed in: , Pittsburgh Penguins, | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins

Comments

David Lee's avatar

Hutch came out of nowhere to have a fine season for the Canes in our Cup year.  He’s good on the power play, and he can really move the puck.  Of course on your rebuilt blueline, there’s no room for a guy like him.  He’ll do fine in Wilkes-Barre.

Posted by David Lee from Greensboro, NC on 07/07/10 at 04:55 PM ET

Tony's avatar

He’s right-handed, which will come in handy if Lovejoy stumbles in training camp, as he’s probably slotted as the #6 D-man as of right now…

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 07/07/10 at 04:58 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

He Is ?????????  I think he is For WB/S !

Posted by Evilpens on 07/07/10 at 05:03 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Let’s count…

1.  Orpik
2.  Martin
3.  Michalek
4.  Letang
5.  Gogo

Who’s #6 ?

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 07/07/10 at 05:06 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I would Think Lovejoy over Hutchinson Tony !!! But that’s my Opinion !!

Posted by Evilpens on 07/07/10 at 05:12 PM ET

Tony's avatar

That’s what I said !!

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 07/07/10 at 05:13 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Gogo & Hutchinson scare the Crap out of me as the 3rd Pairing !! 2 Offensive D Men gulp

Posted by Evilpens on 07/07/10 at 05:13 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

That’s what I said !!

OOOOOPS !!! The Heat is getting to Me !! grin

Posted by Evilpens on 07/07/10 at 05:17 PM ET

Moq's avatar

I misread it the same way initially due to the second comma, and I can’t even blame the heat.

Anyways, that was extra defenceman signed. I was looking at someone like Aaron Johnson, but they obviously have some faith in Lovejoy grabbing the opportunity.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/07/10 at 05:53 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

You’re Lucky Moq!! brutal Here !!

Posted by Evilpens on 07/07/10 at 05:57 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About The Confluence

Welcome to The Confluence, a Pittsburgh Penguins blog since 2006.

Originally at Blogspot, then at MVN, TheConfluence has over 1500 articles reporting Penguins news as well as jumping on my soapbox to opine constructive Penguins criticism.

I am blogger- credentialed with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  My posts are regularly linked by hockey websites such as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Yahoo!‘s Puck Daddy, and I’ve done numerous guest blogger spots on such websites asthe New YorkTimes.  I am a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer.

If you’d like to follow me on Twitter-