The Confluence

Penguins Regain Home Ice with 3-2 Win over Bolts

Whatever it takes, I guess.

Despite allowing two powerplay goals, the Penguins were able to grind out three goals, including the eventual game-winner by Tyler Kennedy 31 seconds after Tampa tied it, to give the Pens a 3-2 win in Game Three.  The Penguins now regain home-ice advantage in the series.

Other stuff:

- Obviously the talk of the town this morning is the upcoming disciplinary hearings for Chris Kunitz and Steve Downie.  Kunitz’ hit was pretty blatant, can’t defend it.  Pretty much all you can say about that one.  The Downie hit is going to be the one that’s going to result in the most disagreement, regardless of how the NHL decides on any discipline for Downie.  At this point, I’m not even going to attempt to predict how it will go.

- I get more confused about the Sidney Crosby situation by the day.

- James Neal’s scoring difficulties are now at the hair-pulling level.  Not that I don’t appreciate his effort, far from it.  But for the love of all that’s holy, he’s got to get off the schnide one of these games.  Doesn’t he?

- Arron Asham continues to take it up a couple of notches in the playoffs.  Not just with his goal, but he’s controlling the puck well in the offensive end.  In addition, you’ve gotta include Mike Rupp in that discussion as well.

- Although the Pens’ powerplay didn’t score in it’s two attempts, I actually thought they did a better job of both getting the puck in the Tampa zone and moving it around once it was set up.

- Ben Lovejoy only got 8:52 of ice time.

Game Four Wednesday night in Tampa.

Filed in: , | The Confluence | Permalink
  Tags: nhl-hockey, pittsburgh+penguins, tampa+bay+lightning

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

Bylsma better Hope there are no OT games He Played Z 27.27 last Nigh.t Z, Martin, Orpik & Letang were all over 21 minutes I believe & Niskanen & Loverjoy were at 10 & 8 Minutes

Posted by Evilpens on 04/19/11 at 09:39 AM ET

I think Lovejoy deserves more minutes than he is getting.  He looks very solid defensively.

The refs were horrible last night.  The interference call on Kovy resulting in a PP goal for TB was horrendous and very easily could have cost the penguins the game.  Ever since Boucher complained after game 1 there has been a ton of questionable calls against the penguins.  Lets hope they get their act together for game 4.

Kunitz should get 2 games.
Downie should get 2 games.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 09:54 AM ET

Agreed on the refs. Biggest complaint is that there seems to be no consistency in the calls. Call it tight, or call it loose, whatever—but be consistent damn it!

Good effort from the bottom lines. Connor had an especially good game. I hope he can keep it up.

Posted by penguinsfan on 04/19/11 at 10:00 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

I thought the Pens looked extremely sharp last night in their own end and in the neutral zone, their passing and posession game in the second period won that game in my opinion.  They gave TB next to nothing when things were at even strength.

G2L, good luck being right with your prediction on the duration of punishment for those two plays.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 10:00 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 08:54 AM ET

Curious, did you see the penalties summary from game 2 where the Pens were dominated from start to finish?  Your theory is dead on arrival.

I had a feeling the calls would start to even up last night, they’re be some more adversity for the Pens tomorrow night as well.  I thought the PK was really good for large portions of last night.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 10:07 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

- I get more confused about the Sidney Crosby situation by the day.

Tony, did you end up hearing anything about that trainer statement that Glenn Healy made the other night on HNIC hotstove?

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 10:11 AM ET

where the Pens were dominated from start to finish?

Huh?  Are you serious?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 10:13 AM ET

Tony's avatar

No, at this point I’m done speculating until I see him in the lineup…. It’s better for my health….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 04/19/11 at 10:13 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 04/19/11 at 09:13 AM ET

Ha!

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 09:13 AM ET

I’m about as serious as you were in concluding that most penalty calls have been going TBay’s way following game one.  I believe the Pens spent 10 minutes on the PP in game two to TBays 4 minutes (granted, two were cut short by PPG’s).

I know you’re an emotional fan and it is easy to leap to conclusions when you don’t see everything going your teams way.  In this case, you might want to have some numbers to back up your sweeping conclusion before you throw it out there.  It’s hard to take you seriously when you don’t.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 10:21 AM ET

First of all for me to say “there are a ton of questionable calls against the penguins ... since Boucher complained after game 1” is not something that could be disputed by pointing to a comparison chart of how many penalties were called for the penguins versus against them in game 2.

The fact is ever since Boucher complained after game 1, the lighting have had 11 powerplays in 2 games.  If you want to dismiss my point as some sort of emotional conclusion so be it, but the fact is the refs almost cost the penguins last night on a horse shit interference call on Kovy after he was crosschecked into the goalie.  This is simply 1 of many questionable calls that have begun since the complaining from Boucher.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 10:36 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 09:36 AM ET

I’m not going to get into tits for tats with you on this one.

You and I approach this series with two different pairs of glasses; yours happens to have Bob Errey and Jiri Slegr’s sillouette implanted on the lenses.

Somebody on this site (maybe it was F. Scott Fitzgerald) recently wrote that every playoff game will have questionable calls and some will have more than others.  Why am I wrinting this?  I don’t know, maybe it’ll help you reflect on the games that your favorite team is playing in.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 11:19 AM ET

ok

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 11:27 AM ET

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 09:21 AM ET

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 04/19/11 at 09:36 AM ET

I’m not going to get into tits for tats with you on this one.
Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/19/11 at 10:19 AM ET

Leo_Racicot, you are somehow dumber and more pretentious than your unfortunate namesake.

Posted by NathanBC on 04/19/11 at 02:41 PM ET

Kunitz and Downie both get 1 game, per Bob McKenzie tweet…

Posted by penguinsfan on 04/19/11 at 02:44 PM ET